California - Central California & Sacramento Central California & Sacramento S2000 Owners

Need Smog Advice

Old 10-20-2016, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Smog Advice

Hey guys,

I didn't want make a new thread about this but I figured the Sac forums aren't really that active so it wouldn't be a big deal. I picked up an AP2 about a month ago now and I just failed smog yesterday. I went to Smog Point and they failed me for having an carb legal aem intake but it was specifically made for an AP1 and not an AP2. lol. Also the headers that came with the care is missing some oe number, and the final thing is the cat that I just picked up last week ended up being an aftermarket cat (I thought it was oem).

I'm not sure if i just went to the wrong shop and the guy was very thorough. I've heard of people passing with test pipes because the inspector doesn't even look down there. Anyways my auntie who is a lawyer said we can get the seller to repair the vehicle to pass inspection according to ca state law. I don't really want to go through that cause I don't want to deal with the seller anymore and take legal action. If you guys know of any shops in the sacramento area who are mod friendly, please lmk. Should I just try to get those three parts and go for the free retest?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-20-2016, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by anotherS
Hey guys,

I didn't want make a new thread about this but I figured the Sac forums aren't really that active so it wouldn't be a big deal. I picked up an AP2 about a month ago now and I just failed smog yesterday. I went to Smog Point and they failed me for having an carb legal aem intake but it was specifically made for an AP1 and not an AP2. lol. Also the headers that came with the care is missing some oe number, and the final thing is the cat that I just picked up last week ended up being an aftermarket cat (I thought it was oem).

I'm not sure if i just went to the wrong shop and the guy was very thorough. I've heard of people passing with test pipes because the inspector doesn't even look down there. Anyways my auntie who is a lawyer said we can get the seller to repair the vehicle to pass inspection according to ca state law. I don't really want to go through that cause I don't want to deal with the seller anymore and take legal action. If you guys know of any shops in the sacramento area who are mod friendly, please lmk. Should I just try to get those three parts and go for the free retest?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
Hey there. I think the best course of action would be to have the seller repair the vehicle to emissions standards. I know you don't want to deal with him, but that may be the easiest route unless you find someone to pay to pass you (I don't know of anyone, sorry). Second, you could take it to another SMOG locations, but just a heads up, it'll show that you recently failed in the BAR system so they may question you about it and then become just as thorough as the first shop.

Some people to pass with test pipes etc, but since the emissions test (visual) failed already, it'll be a red flag to the next smog shop.

Honestly with the parts that need to be replaced, I would just get the stock airbox, exhaust manifold and cat. Those 3 items are fairly common to find, so it shouldn't be trouble and shouldn't be expensive if you're able to DIY.

-Steve
Old 10-20-2016, 09:15 PM

Hey Steve,

thanks for the quick response. I appreciate it. I think i'm going to have the seller take care of it. He stopped replying to my messages but my aunt wrote this legit letter so that might scare him. haha. The as is document he made me sign is poorly written and won't stand in court if it ends up going that far. He pretty much sold me a car that is illegal to drive and I don't know how much that will help me. The headlights don't even work and the brake lights don't come on unless i step on the pedal. I was extremely impatient with the purchase...
Old 10-22-2016, 12:46 PM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

I have been going for many years to Lee's Automotive across the street from Costco in Rancho Cordova on White Rock Rd. Although they have not touched my S, I do that myself, they pretty much do everything right up to large trucks and LEO vehicles. Complete fix and test smog joint. No BS, no rip off. They let me stick my nose in the bays to see how things are going. People even bring in Chinese food and beer to share. Great people.

http://www.autorepairranchocordova.com
Old 03-14-2017, 10:55 PM

Nice!
Old 06-29-2017, 02:29 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Does your intake have a carb sticker? If not go get that, usually it's take a picture of installation and they will send it to you.

Find out what header it is, first.
If it's a stock header and it's missing the heatshield, put it on.
If it's a premium aftermarket header (not many fit this description), but not carb legal you could weld tabs to secure the stock heatshield or take it off and sell it.
If it's a crappy aftermarket one, just pull it off and put the stock one on because it probably makes less power

Cat:
Again, you could weld tabs on and secure the factory heatshield on it. It's a hit or miss if someone is going to look underneath an s2000. Generally if they see the heatshield they won't think twice.

Since you are in central california, check out this guy Sergey in Rancho Cordova - he specializes in an s2000 junk yard and get the necessary pieces from him.