Allegheny S2000 Owners Club Western PA including, Pittsburgh, Erie, Western Maryland, Northern West Virginia, and Eastern Ohio

local shops

Old 10-20-2016, 11:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default local shops

Hi everyone!

I am currently a mechanic for Oakmont Automotive. I have been working on cars my whole life but only as a profession for the past few years. I was always afraid I wouldn't want to work on my own car if I was working on customers all day anyways, without going into great detail the owner of Oakmont wants your money...all of it

I don't know if it was the way I was raised or what BUT I do not support this. At our weekly meetings the employees are essentially 'bribed' to sell, sell, sell. I can fully agree and understand this IF we are selling something needed. That is not the case, I am asked to sell tires to a customer when they are at 6/32, full brake jobs when there is rust, Batteries are recommended at every visit, The list goes on.

In my opinion, when a customer comes in for a inspection and needs something soon but its not necessary to pass, if you make them aware of this they WILL come back to you when they NEED work done. However, when a customer comes in for inspection and leaves with a $1000 bill...I don't think they will be as likely to return.

Maybe today was just a bad day and im ranting

Anyone else have experience with crooked shops? weather worked at or just took your car to them?
Old 10-25-2016, 01:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fortunately I have never had a horrible experience. I got the hint when I first had my ap1 to the dealer for a diff fluid change. The techs failed to tighten the drain bolt after completion so once I got the car home and noticed a leak; I made a decision then and there. No one will be performing any PM on my car but me. Shortly after my clutch went and I went to the dealership again to get a quote for parts and labor. No way in hell was I paying for a S2000 clutch job. Bought the parts, tools, and did it in my garage over a weekend with a buddy of mine and some brews.

Some of my close buddies are automotive techs and I hear the stories... Sorry you have to deal with that shit.

If you ever thought about moving outside of automotive just know that there is possibilities in the Pittsburgh area.