UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Car died - Any advice?

Old 10-22-2016, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car died - Any advice?

Hi all,

Ok so let me give you a bit of background.

Sunday day I went to my bro in laws for a bit and my car alarm kept going off for no apparent reason over and over again. Would unlock it, lock it, go back in the house and 10 mins later would go off again.

I'd heard 'clicking' from what sounded like the drivers side lock so decided that may be he cause of the alarm going off, i.e. It's trying to lock but can't because of the suspected lock issue.
I took the door card off and had a fish around, lock mech has seized. So now the alarm flashes four times instead of three and isn't locking.

Sunday evening I'm driving home on the M6 and I kept momentarily losing power, no pattern, no obvious reason. Like someone had pulled one of the HT leads momentarily or cut an amount of fuel pump capability, was very odd
This kept happening and all of a sudden it did this again but then died at 50mph. I took it out of gesr and coasted to a cone off area as it was on the section where there are roadworks so was down to two lanes.
I had all electrics except the car wasn't responding to the key. Obviously ordinarily you would unlock the car in order to deactivate the immobiliser to start the car but nothing.
30 mins later it suddenly started responding again and I 'unlocked' the car and I started. I managed to do the last 10 miles or so home but it kept doing this losing power thing.

Up to now I've dissassmbled the wiring / fuse / relay for the alarm above my right knee under the dash for the alarm which was flapping around and played with the H&P unit under the seat. Fiddling with the wires coming out of the unit had not effect on how the car ran.

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this please? Cannot feel I can drive anywhere as it may die again!

Thanks a lot for any help.

Dan.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:55 AM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

It does sound like the alarm has failed. I would have a chat with H&P on Monday. The immobiliser does cut the fuel pump off when activated IIRC.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:24 AM

I did speak to them and wanted to remove the unit to see with the crack was inside but it's riveted to the floor! Wiggling the wires from the unit whilst the car was running had no effect either. New unit is £216 apparently and even if I replaced it how do you remove the existing unit!? I pushed the block and relay under the dash together has they weren't fully pressed together. Just unsure if that has cured it.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:37 AM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

I heard they come out to you and fit it all and sanity check the whole system..I could be wrong. (Mine needs sorting too!) Rivets aren't too bad, drill them out and new ones fitted. It is common for the boards to fail so wiggling wires probably won't achieve much...it's possible the contacts might be vaguely corroded?
Old 10-22-2016, 09:13 AM

Received 621 Likes on 543 Posts

Get a new alarm/immob installed, they''ll remove your old one.

When it dies is it just the engine?
Old 10-22-2016, 11:18 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Without teaching you to suck eggs are you sure the battery terminals are tight? Also check that none of the main body earths are broken or falling apart.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:11 PM

Engine died completely dash lit up.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:40 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Faulty HP alarm - take it to bits and see if the wiring is fried like all the others that died.

Failing that ... check your main relays and fuses out / battery terminals / earth strap connections and also check the alternator wiring is secure.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine does exactly the same every time the battery is low.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:33 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by WRCGooseS2K
Engine died completely dash lit up.
I would still clean and check the connections, might be worth putting it on a charger and checking voltages. I know its a different vehicle but my works van had a dying battery and it caused endless issues with flickering dash and electrical issues. Rule out the simple stuff

Quick Reply: Car died - Any advice?