S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Rear brakes sticking possibly... Help!

Old 04-24-2001, 05:31 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

My car has been in storage since November with only about 5 rides between then and this past weekend. Well, over the last couple of rides (this weekend, last night, this morning) there is a definite burning sensation coming from the rear wheels (driver side is stronger then the passenger) and disipates the farther away you are from the rear. Barely can smell standing at the back near the exhaust tips, but as you walk around and get closer to the rears, the smell is definitely there.

So I think my brakes are sticking. Anyone with a crude way of loosing them? My roommate said that standing on the brakes real hard could free them. Any other ideas?? Thanks.

ERIK
Old 04-24-2001, 06:40 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your parking brake cable's adjustment. Perhaps if it was engaged the whole time it was being stored it has done something strange to it. Does the car pull as you are gliding to a stop (without braking)?

We used to reset drum brakes by driving in reverse and then standing on the brakes...I'm not sure if this does anything on rear disc brakes, but maybe it's worth a shot.

Not saying it's gonna work, but hey, it won't cost you anything if it does!

Old 04-24-2001, 01:28 PM

Thanks greg,

I went out at lunch for about a half hour drive and the smell didn't seem there. So I have no idea if they became unstuck, it's not the problem, or maybe I just didn't drive far enough. The real test will be the 50 mile trek home. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they became unstuck.

ERIK
Old 04-24-2001, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg's comments are right on , check E-brake cable first . Second item is the two bolts that caliper piston slides on . If car is new or not driven in bad weather these should not be problem . Honda recommends that cars not be storied with emergency brake on. Return spring on cable does not want to release cable. Reversing car will not effect adjustment of emergency brake.

brad
Old 04-24-2001, 07:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Well, this is sort of wierd. I've noticed the same thing just the last few days. Actually, it's only the last few days when the top has been down and I've stayed around the car after parking. It's been cold here so when I stop I just head inside and maybe didn't notice it.

Anyways, after arriving at my destination I notice a "hot" smell from the rear. Even after intentionally doing very little braking before entering the garage I notice the rear brake disks are very warm. Too warm to keep your fingers on. Much hotter than the front disks. But I don't think the brakes are dragging. On the slightest incline the car will start to roll by iself. I would think that if the brakes were dragging then the car would be reluctant to roll.

I'm changing all fluids the weekend so will have a chance to look around underneath.

Any ideas?

Dave
Old 04-24-2001, 07:24 PM

Well, I'm taking the car to the dealer tomorrow and let them look at it. I'm not taking any chances when I have to drive 11 hours tomorrow to TN.

ERIK
Old 04-24-2001, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had something similar happen a couple of weeks ago. After driving a few miles with the top down, at a light I smelled burning brakes. Looking around, there was a truck next to me so I just assumed that it was the culprit. But just in case, I made sure the parking brake was not on and it was, in fact, down. After pulling into the driveway, the smell was still there. It was the passenger side rear brake that had overheated. I took it to the dealer the next day but the problem had disapeared by that point.

I still dont know what happened. I have noticed that after parking out in the rain ( I dont have a garage ), the brakes stick a bit when I back up in the morning from what I think is a bit of rust. My current theory is that there was some rust that caused the brake to not fully release and that is why it over heated. If anyone has a better theory, I would love to hear it.

Regards,

Greg
Old 04-25-2001, 08:35 AM

Well,

I took it to the dealer this morning. A tech came out with me, and we talked and he didn't think the brakes were it, because they looked good. So we went for a spin, got back, the smell was there, and it turns out he thinks I'm leaking transmission fluid!! GREAT!!

I failed to mention that two weeks ago, I had the TSB work done, and well, it doesn't look like they put her back together very well. So we'll see how long it takes for them to fix this problem. Don't know if I will be going to TN now or not!!

ERIK