Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Help! CEL trouble codes 301, 302, 303, etc and can't fix

#1 User is offline   Rick Hesel 

• Rick's Accessories
  • Group: Vendor - Starter Primary

Posted 22 December 2003 - 12:32 PM

To make a long story short, I took my car to Heritage Honda in Townsend to fix a problem with a trouble code realting to cold-air injection. Not only did they not fix this problem, but when I got the car back, it had a new set of trouble codes, all relating to misfires (401, 401, 403, and 404).

I fixed the cold-air issue myself (it was a split vacuum hose). What it god's name could the dealer have done? BTW, avoid Heritage like the plague. Their service department stinks and they were rude to me when I complained about what they had done (and I was a very good customer, having bought or leased 5 or 6 Hondas from them over the past ten years). They've lost me as a customer forever.

suzukatim at Scott Honda (where my tranny was very ably fixed) thought it might be the VAFC making the mixture too lean, so he set all the settings back to stock. No luck -- the codes are still popping up. Before I subject the car to another local Honda dealer (Scott is too far to go for this), anybody have an idea of what might be going on? The procedures in the Helm manual for tracking the problem are quite long, and I thought someone might already have had experience with this problem that might prove helpful.
To send me an e-mail, click here ->Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   hondaS2001 

• Group: Banned
  • Interests:drinking

Posted 22 December 2003 - 04:54 PM

first off, do you have any idea whatsoever at what your settings were at when you left it there? And secondly, do you have any idea what mileage/kilometers (even to the tenth) what your car had on it when you left it? Im guessing maybe, just maybe someone either fooled around with the vafc and/or joyrided it? If you leave the car somewhere its a good idea to reset one of the trip meters and then you can tell, however, this wont detect them revving the motor at idle. I met a member who had a beeping device installed somehow and it would beep a certain amount of times to tell you what the engine was last revved to, for cases like this. Hopefully this is not the case, but if you didnt have any problems with it for a while, then it would be hard to think why not? Sad, but true, that there have been a lot of cases with techs messing around in s2k's, and Ive even heard of one where they messed around with the settings on the VAFC then joyrided the car, so hopefully they didnt do this with yours....
Professional alcoholic, part-time drunk, drinking in my spare time.

01' Silverstone
94' Supra TT 6spd
03' Vette Z06

#3 User is offline   hondaS2001 

• Group: Banned
  • Interests:drinking

Posted 22 December 2003 - 04:57 PM

btw, did you pull up the codes yourself or did someone else do it for you? There is another member who posted not too long after/before you and was having misfires but their codes were in the early 300's

#4 User is offline   Slows2k 

• View gallery
  • Group: Former Moderator
  • Interests:Peace on earth, Goodwill towards man. Repeal the NFA and GCA

Posted 22 December 2003 - 06:40 PM

Misfire DTC's are P0301-P0304. The cheapest and easiest thing to check is a set of spark plugs. I would get a set of non platinum plugs and go from there.
Whoretech'd twice ;)

R.I.P. JS.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   turbo_pwr 

• Interests:golf, baseball, football, basketball, volleyball, running, basically if it will get me out of the house I am willing and able.

Posted 22 December 2003 - 09:08 PM

Originally posted by Slows2k
Misfire DTC's are P0301-P0304. The cheapest and easiest thing to check is a set of spark plugs. I would get a set of non platinum plugs and go from there.

But he said the codes were 401-404. Anyway I think it might be an 02 sensor problem.
Dan
Yes, I Am A Proud Father!
13 Model S - 11 QX56 - 09 E63 AMG - 00 S2000 (ITB) - 86 Corolla GTS - 85 Corolla GTS (Turbo) -

#6 User is offline   Slows2k 

• View gallery

Posted 22 December 2003 - 09:20 PM

P0401 is EGR insufficient flow. The S has no EGR, So I'm pretty sure Rick just mixed up the #'s .Most likely if an O2 was causing misfires it would have an 02 code as well.

#7 User is offline   airgate 

• Group: Community Organizer
  • Interests:S2000 Meets, Drives and Events

Posted 22 December 2003 - 09:24 PM

Rick, I don't know much on the codes and their meaning, but my S2000 recently shot out codes before Fall Colors and I had the spark plugs replaced. The codes stopped. However, after returning from Fall Colors, the codes returned. Ended up being the fuel injector as Cylinder #1 was misfiring. Since the fuel injector was replaced, my S2000 is back to normal. No longer sputtering at idle and sounds great.

Of course, I had about 56k miles at the time. Not sure what your issue could be.:(

#8 User is offline   Slows2k 

• View gallery

Posted 22 December 2003 - 09:31 PM

There are multiple causes of misfires. Spark plugs, injectors, coil packs, fuel contamination (water and diesel doesn't burn well in a gas engine) P0300= random misfire P0301 misfire on #1, P0302 =#2, P0303= #3. P0304=#4. If you have the service manual, just follow the steps in the book, Honda service manuals do a really good job with toubleshooting.

#9 User is offline   Rick Hesel 

• Topic Starter
  • Rick's Accessories

Posted 22 December 2003 - 09:45 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Slows2k
There are multiple causes of misfires. Spark plugs, injectors, coil packs, fuel contamination (water and diesel doesn't burn well in a gas engine)

#10 User is offline   Colin 

• Group: Guest
  • Interests:Racing, audio, computers

Posted 22 December 2003 - 10:00 PM

What a coincidence, my 2001 started idling rough a few thousand miles ago. I had the valves adjusted last week just to see if the intake valves had tightened up. Not the case. A few days later, my car spit up a code #303. The tech who did my valve adjustment here at our Acura store pulled the code with our machine. He went back to have a look at his work just to be sure he didn't make a mistake. No problems with his work. He then swapped the ignition coil on #3 with #2. (the 303 code means cylinder #3) We were hoping to find the problem had moved to #2 thus identifying the ignition coil as the cause. Unfortunately the problem jumped to cylinder #1 (code 301) :egads: Now have have to take it and leave it at our sister Honda store since it's a warranty repair. I'll keep you posted. BTW, FWIW, the car seems to run fine at high RPMs it's just idling real rough and fuel economy seems REALLY bad.
Aloha,
Colin

2008 Acura TSX 6-Sp Arctic Blue

#11 User is offline   vapors2k 

• Interests:everything, beach, mountains, cars, bikes, girls!

Posted 22 December 2003 - 10:40 PM

have you checked your wiring harness to make sure no wires came loose from the vafc?
lying and deceit will come back to those that lie and cheat.

#12 User is offline   turbo_pwr 

• Interests:golf, baseball, football, basketball, volleyball, running, basically if it will get me out of the house I am willing and able.

Posted 23 December 2003 - 06:57 AM

edited the codes in thread title.

#13 User is offline   fltsfshr 

• Group: Gold Member

Posted 23 December 2003 - 01:30 PM

hmm this is 3 posts I've seen today with misfires in the last couple days..mine did it yesterday on 2 and 4 at 17mph.

I haven't seen that on here begfore...does the honda puter have a clock? They ran my car found nothing wrong and told me it "burped". Unexolainable as to why. Mine went off about 12noon et.

They had just seen another honda that did the same thing. They pulled my plugs, among other things, I don't know if they checked gap or not but they said they checked it all and could find no reason.

What time did you get yours Rick?

fltsfshr
Never hesitate......take the shot
fltsfshr

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#14 User is offline   ItalianBucwheat 

Posted 23 December 2003 - 02:41 PM

Its been one tough off season for Rick. Hope ya find the problem!
2002 S2000 Berlina Black/Black interior
2004 Pontiac GTO Silver/Black M6
2007 BMW 335I White/Gray E90

#15 User is offline   Rick Hesel 

• Topic Starter
  • Rick's Accessories

Posted 23 December 2003 - 09:27 PM

These codes come up randomly and unpredictably -- at idle, on WOT, decelerating, etc, etc. The car is running fine -- idle is smooth and there are no misfires that I can even detect.

#16 User is offline   Utah S2K 

• Interests:Investing

Posted 24 December 2003 - 12:02 AM

Long time no talk. You indicate you are using a VAFC but don't indicate why. Is the car FA or NA? Is it an APEXI unit? I have keyed this thread to a friend at JDM Honda and he has asked these questions. The fact that you are seeing multiple codes on various cyclinders indicates fuel/air mixture concerns. Have you checked the condition of the plugs to see if they are lean or rich? Any info I get back from certain folks I'll forward to you on this thread.

Utah
Posted Image

#17 User is offline   Utah S2K 

• Interests:Investing

Posted 24 December 2003 - 12:03 AM

Long time no talk. You indicate you are using a VAFC but don't indicate why. Is the car FA or NA? Is it an APEXI unit? I have keyed this thread to a friend at JDM Honda and he has asked these questions. The fact that you are seeing multiple codes on various cyclinders indicates fuel/air mixture concerns. Have you checked the condition of the plugs to see if they are lean or rich? Also are you pulling the codes real time with OBD-II Explorer or are you getting them post code with an OBD-II scan tool?

Any info I get back from certain folks I'll forward to you on this thread.

Utah

#18 User is offline   Rick Hesel 

• Topic Starter
  • Rick's Accessories

Posted 24 December 2003 - 11:11 PM

I have the Apexi VAFC but the settings are default, so the mixtures are running stock. The plugs were replaced two months ago under the TSB, so it's not that either. The old plugs looked perfect when they were changed out.

I'm pulling the codes with and OBD-II scan tool.

This 300, 301, 302, 303, 304 problem appeared immediately after I had the car to a dealer for a CEL code related to the cold air injection. They didn't fix that and left me with this problem as well. The cold air injection code was triggered by a crack in a vacuum hose. I fixed the hose and that problem has not shown up again. but I appear to be stuck with this one.

#19 User is offline   TepEvan 

• View gallery
  • Group: Member

Posted 26 December 2003 - 09:08 AM

^ good thoughts. I would also double check the plugs like others have indicated. While they may be good plugs, they may not be torqued down enough.
Posted Image
Mille Miglia Evo-5 - 18x8 225-40-18 +45 / 18x9 245-35-18 +55
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#20 User is offline   ytyper 

Posted 26 December 2003 - 10:24 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rick Hesel
These codes come up randomly and unpredictably -- at idle, on WOT, decelerating, etc, etc.

Ads by Google   S2KI

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users