UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Purchase & vehicle history question

Old 05-24-2005, 06:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchase & vehicle history question

Just got the registration of the S being sourced for me by my local dealer and it isn't registered at Honda UK.

As far as I can tell that can mean one of two things :

1) It's an import

2) It was registered under a private plate at initial purchase.

The latter presumably is going to have an implication in terms of finding out history (HPI etc).

So obviously both scenarios have an impact on the viability of the purchase. Given that it's second hand and sourced from another garage, the dealer want a sizable deposit before buying it on my behalf, which is fair enough.

I've asked the dealer to find out the VIN but are there any other scenarios people know of that would cause the plate to not be registered with Honda? Also, any comments on the situation as a whole would be appreciated

(It's a MY02 by the way, if that has any bearing)
Old 05-24-2005, 06:07 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

I had a similar situation whereby my car had an original plate at sale, which was then replaced with a private plate, and replaced again with yet another different plate when the original owner sold it on.

If you get the VIN number, HUK will be able to help you.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:09 AM

I've a feeling, given the preponderence of S2k "themed" plates and other personal plates that I've seen, that this is going to be the case. Hopefully the VIN will be forthcoming and it'll all be sorted out, but it gave me pause for thought.

Alternatively, if anyone here owned NY51 MSU, that'd be handy
Old 05-24-2005, 06:10 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Is the car an EU or a JDM import? There should be a certificate of conformity if it's an EU.

For some reason, HUK's computer regularly rejects the VIN of EU imports, which then must be re-entered. I'm used to it, our cars were both EU purchases.

The log book will tell you if it was first registered new in the UK, which may be of some help. Won't show up a brand new import though, as these are treated as 1st reg'd in the UK, although ours were briefly 1st reg'd in Belgium.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:03 AM

if you do get AA to do a history check all you will need is the reg and they will tell you plenty of info.

AA Car Data Check should give you the following:

make
model
Engine No
Fuel type
transmission
Number of gears
Body type
Colour
Engine Capacity
First registered date
Year of manufacture
previous recorded Keepers / date of changes
Previous colours / Date of changes

once you get the report you can then phone up for more info for free, for example they were able to give me the the mileage submitted at each of the services.

I recommend the full Dekra 166 point check if you are getting limited warrantee. Was well worth the money spent, you get a very thorough report. Here was the report i got back on my car:

page1
page2
page3
page4
page5
page6
Old 05-24-2005, 07:13 AM

Well I got the VIN eventually and using that, it came up ok on Honda's recall check with the reg I posted earlier (with no work reqd). Bizarre.

Armed with that, I've now done the AA full check and had a heart stopping moment when it said "finance outstanding". Didn't know about the dealer short term stock-acquiring finance until I spoke to AA So, as long as I get the letter of indemnity from the dealer, I'm good to go

Now, what are teh chances of them getting it to me for the weekend I wonder....
Old 05-24-2005, 08:35 AM

Graham, you really shouldn't have to do the leg work. If I was you, I'd say to the dealer, I'll have this car if you can guarantee it's a UK car. Get it in writing then they've got no way to back out.

You've got to get them to do something for the large chunk of profit they'll take out of the car
Old 05-24-2005, 01:29 PM

Oh I appreciate that, and they are doing their own HPI, recall check, inspection yada yada yada...I just like checking out the basics myself as a piece of mind thing

Ok, so you could have comeback on them if they sold you a dodgy motor if you get things in writing but, to be quite frank, I'd rather minimise the possibility of that happening at all and going through the hassle of sorting it out (while in the meantime my MGF's head gasket is getting older and older...).

If that means phoning up HUK with the VIN and sorting an HPI with the AA...then so be it
Old 05-25-2005, 12:09 AM

Just to confirm, I work for Experian (we operate the Car Data Check service for the AA), and we can check any car regardless of private plate or not. We base our data on the VIN and Reg plate, so if the plate changes, it changes against the VIN.

The dealer may well do an HPI or Experian Car Data Check, but its up to you if you want to trust them. At a franchised or large dealership I would, but less so with smaller independents - some of which never check their cars.

If anyone has any questions on HPI/Car Data Checks pm me.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:20 AM

Cheers Moff. It's a large dealership but it's that old "personal piece of mind" thing

Well, it's all done and dusted, the car's on its way now I've put down the rest of the deposit.

Doesn't look like I'll have it till after the weekend though