• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is Dynamat worth the $$$ or? is there a good alt? Dynamat vs. competition?

#1 User is offline   dojo_s4 

• Group: Guest
  • Interests:Trackdays, driving, Golf, Snowboarding, Hockey, Anything outdoors, women and having pints with friends...

Posted 08 June 2005 - 12:18 PM

Hey all,

I have some questions bout a stereo upgrade that's coming and figured here'd be a good place to start.

I'm looking to see if dynamat is worth the $$$ that people say it is?

or if there's a viable alternative that isn't as expensive such as Fatmat, stinger's buzzkill and or other products?

Looking at lining the doors and potentially all of the trunk to enhance the clarity of the stereo.

any and all advice to those whom have gone through this process before would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

D :hello:
Current: 05 S2000 (SOLD, but going to a good home!)
02 Allroad (family truckster)

Coming... Cayman S...Spring 2008.......FINALLY!

#2 User is offline   TR-S2K 

Posted 08 June 2005 - 01:06 PM

There is an alternative/complement to Dynamat. It is called Quietcoat, which is liquid and you can apply it with a brush to any surface. You can buy it at www.quietsolution.com for about $70/gallon shipped, or you can buy it from S2ki sponsor, chipperman, for 15% discount.
I used it in the trunk and on the shell under the soft top with good result.

#3 User is offline   jasonw 

• Interests:Puns

Posted 08 June 2005 - 01:11 PM

Or you can tune your sub to something other than the resonant frequency of your trunk. Depending on the type of music you like, bandpass may work well for this. The tradeoffs are more weight and less accurate bass(probably best suited to rap).
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Lease vs. Buy | There's no place like 127.0.0.1

#4 User is offline   dojo_s4 

• Topic Starter
  • Interests:Trackdays, driving, Golf, Snowboarding, Hockey, Anything outdoors, women and having pints with friends...

Posted 08 June 2005 - 01:13 PM

Cool thanks, I appreciate it!

So my guess is that you'd assume that I should use that for the trunk and the dynamat for the doors?

TIA..

d :thumbup:

#5 User is offline   TR-S2K 

Posted 08 June 2005 - 01:23 PM

If you have time to Dynamat the doors, it will be better. I did not do anything to the doors. If you do a search on Quietcoat, you can find some discussions about soundproofing. In general, the more time you can spend on doing the soundproofing, the more quiet the car will be. Someone removed both seats and carpets to apply Quietcoat on both passenger and driver floor, you can also apply Quietcoat to the rear wheel wells and under the car too. If you want to do all those area, you may need 2-3 gallons of Quietcoat. If this is the case, you may want to buy 5 gallon jug for about $200+ to save some $, and you can use some of it for other car(s)

This post has been edited by TR-S2K: 13 June 2005 - 02:13 PM

#6 User is offline   thetz99 

• View gallery
  • Interests:karting

Posted 08 June 2005 - 01:37 PM

I just recently finished up my soundproofing to get rid of the exhaust "drone" using a combo dynomat/quietcoat method. I ranked the areas of the car according to effect on drone, but as I look back on it, these are most of your noise producing areas.

http://www.s2ki.com/...opic=275932&hl=

The easiest to get to would be the tray area under the softtop.
Scary Paint Chip Repair Pics PC Headlight Scratch/Hazing Removal Pics
Quietcoat/dynomat under the carpets =>dronekiller Successful strategy to get a new softtop
Bilstein PSS9 w/Swift 12K springs, Comptech billet rear tiebar, billet oil cap, titanium STB, Comptech front Co-Axial Adj sway(set @278%) & rear 1.25"sway Bar, red ano'd billet front tiebar, Invidia, 4.56 Kaaz 1.5 Comptech reinforced diff, Omnipower quick clutch, Rick's short shifter, Ricks x bar, Comptech titanium strut bar, Rick's magnum titanium Jetguy burned knob, Rick's black leather center console and visors, Rick's 3/4 airflow guide
Okada coil packs, krank vents. Erick 70mm throttle body, Valentine V1,

#7 User is offline   dojo_s4 

• Topic Starter

Posted 08 June 2005 - 02:06 PM

WOW, fantastic information, thank you VERY much! great read and the link from a previous thread has def. made the decision much easier.

I think at this point Quiet coat for 1 gal makes complete sense and then dynamat the doors and then revisit the thought if I want more, etc...

hopefully in the next week it'll be all said and done.

laters.

d :hello: :thumbup:

#8 User is offline   jeffxyan 

Posted 08 June 2005 - 08:56 PM

I found a cheap alternative to dynamat. I think scosche makes it but wal-mart sells a door speaker kit for like $10 to start with. They don't have the complete car kit though.
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Ishift@9 

• Group: Banned

Posted 08 June 2005 - 10:09 PM

Are you looking for just vibration control or sound absorbing as well? Dynamat has some decent sound absorbing material(s), as well as their infamous vibration control sheets.

There are other companies with better products for both vibration and sound absorbing as well, but they are more costly.

Procon and Cascade come to mind, but there are other manufacturers, mostly european who specialize in home audio/industrial, etc. sound dampening products, that can be used in vehicles, but they are hyper expensive.

For decent sound absorbing material, and the quantity you would need, be prepared to spend about $500+ unless you have a hook-up. for just vibration control...do the entire car for around $125-200

#10 User is offline   mt rsx 

Posted 10 June 2005 - 01:11 AM

buy from Elemental Design

there liquid deadener is $50 per gallon and works great..the mat deadeners are excellent as well.

http://www.edesignau...pe=damp&cur=USD

#11 User is offline   marks2002 

Posted 10 June 2005 - 12:08 PM

I use RAAMmat in the manufacture of S-Pods. www.streetsmarttechnologies.net
Made of the same stuff as Dmat for a lot less money. The seller is nice to work with too. http://www.raamaudio.com/
Sold car, but S-Pods are still going strong! Check website for frequent updates.

#12 User is offline   What The 

• View gallery

Posted 10 June 2005 - 04:42 PM

Made of the same stuff as Dmat for a lot less money. The seller is nice to work with too. http://www.raamaudio.com/

Good stuff. I have a bunch of that in the doors too.

saves a ton of $$$ over Dynamat and works the same, if not better :thumbup:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 User is offline   marks2002 

Posted 11 June 2005 - 10:51 AM

[/QUOTE]saves a ton of $$$ over Dynamat and works the same, if not better [QUOTE]

I agree slightly thinner than Dynamat, but I think made out of the same stuff.

#14 User is offline   MR_ASDF 

• Group: Spammer

Posted 11 June 2005 - 02:35 PM

:iagree:

the RAAMat is good stuff. although it is thinner, when you compare straight up with Dynamat Xtreme. look at the pricing for total sq ft. with the Dynamat xtreme, you get 36sq ft or something like that. the price is over $200 bucks, i have seen them go for around $300, not sure about ebay prices on it.

with the RAAMat, for about $100 you get 64 sqft. now if you double layer the raamat, it is a lot more effective than 1 layer of dynamat.

i try to stay away from liquid deadners, since they are pretty new to the market, i feel they have quite a few flaws. there might be some out there where i do not have experience with, but with the E-dead from elemental, that shit smells, takes a long time to dry and after using liquid, you cannot add normal sticky back deadner to it. the adhesives on the sticky back do not stick well to the liquid deadners. i say this because it takes a good amount of liquid deadner to do the same job as 2 layers of RAAMAT.

Yes, Rick is a nice guy to deal with. Hes running Lotus speakers ;)
Alpine F#1 CDA-7990
Alpine F#1 PXA-H900
Lotus by SEAS Reference prototype tweeter
Lotus by SEAS RW165 midbass
Lotus by SEAS SW300 12" subs
Rockford Fosgate T5002
BRAX X2400.2

#15 User is offline   koala 

Posted 11 June 2005 - 02:40 PM

Quiet Coat is my recommendation. You apply it like paint, and it does a superior job to "mats"

www.quietcar.net

I used this stuff to coat my centre console/transmission tunnel area (I have the clutch decel buzz), and it has almost eliminated most of the sound coming from the clutch on decel.

It'll also help of course if you apply it to the door panels, you'll pick up a fair bit of extra volume from the speakers.

'16 VW Golf R | '14 Mercedes-Benz GLK
'04 S2000 (Grand Prix White / Black-Red) - Picked up Mar 17.04 [ Pics ] - Sold Mar 19.07
'01 S2000 (Silverstone / Black) - Traded in Dec 9.03

#16 User is offline   MacGyver 

Posted 12 June 2005 - 12:44 PM

John (I know you have to be reading this),

Let's consider adding all of the mentioned products to the FAQs... I don't want to lose this material.

Posted ImagePosted Image
2000 PPG Romanesque Crimson candy over Brickyard Red Metallic base/Black interior with candy accents
http://users.rcn.com/dhintz/ (OLD page) <--- Click on 'Michelle' for more info...
Looking for Loooove S2000 style? Check out the S2000 Love Connection
<b>Member of T.I.T.S. - Scam Prevention/Recovery Unit for Mar

#17 User is offline   SB2007 

• View gallery
  • Group: Gold Member

Posted 13 June 2005 - 02:55 AM

Posted Image

#18 User is offline   PJK3 

• Interests:profession: Mechanical Engineer

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:44 AM

Dan,

i'll stick it into the FAQ. good call.
Philip
2001 Silverstone/Black #6285
Adopted: Februrary 1, 2003

Posted Image

#19 User is offline   TR-S2K 

Posted 13 June 2005 - 02:25 PM

i try to stay away from liquid deadners, since they are pretty new to the market, i feel they have quite a few flaws. there might be some out there where i do not have experience with, but with the E-dead from elemental, that shit smells, takes a long time to dry and after using liquid, you cannot add normal sticky back deadner to it. the adhesives on the sticky back do not stick well to the liquid deadners. i say this because it takes a good amount of liquid deadner to do the same job as 2 layers of RAAMAT.

Most people who had experrience with Quietcoat are very pleased with the result. It does not smell at all after it had been dried for a day or two. It does smell a little when it wets, but no more than normal paint. It does not take a long time to dry either, I had been able to apply 3 coats of Quietcoat within 2 hours in So. Cal. winter, using the fan to help it dry quicker. It is very solid after it dried, you can add RAAMAT or Dynamat over it without any problem. The one advantage of the Quietcoat is you can apply it under the passenger floorpan or rear wheel wells just like paint.

#20 User is offline   ws2000 

• Interests:snowboarding, golf, home theater, airplanes, and cars!

Posted 13 June 2005 - 04:16 PM

Also, take a look at http://www.b-quiet.com/

The Brown Bread is now available from http://www.brownbreadusa.com/ too after not being around for a while.

#21 User is offline   dojo_s4 

• Topic Starter

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:01 PM

WS2000 PM sent, I look forward to your reply!

Thanks!

David. :thumbup:

#22 User is offline   jackalope 

Posted 15 June 2005 - 05:27 AM

from what I hear a product called "dedskin" or something to that effect is a pretty good alternative to dynamat, I think a sheet to cover my trunk was somewhere around 60 or 70 bucks (it would have been enough for the trunk lid, and still have a bit left over to cut into small peices for the convertable tray)
Posted Image

#23 User is offline   LATEOTT 

Posted 16 June 2005 - 04:03 PM

Have any of you RAAMmat buyers ever ordered a half-roll or otherwise partial roll.

I just want to do my doors and a whole roll (fifty feet...!) seems like much more than I need.

#24 User is offline   Chiung 

• Group: Member

Posted 16 June 2005 - 10:13 PM

How does dynamat work? According to their website:

Q: How does Dynamat stop road noise?
A: As a car operates, it generates noise. This noise is caused by the transference of energy (vibration) from the internal components and from the road to the chassis of the vehicle. The chassis (doors, floors, roof etc.) transforms this vibration into audible noise. Dynamat transforms the energy (vibration) into silent energy.

I'm not a physics guy, but "silent energy" is pretty hokey. Do they mean light? Light is silent and is a form of energy. No, of course they mean heat. The vibration and sound energy are converted into (miniscule) amounts of heat by forcing the energy to try to move sheet metal whose mass has just been supplemented by the addition of some damping material. Think about it, it now takes more energy to make that same piece of sheet metal vibrate or resonate, due to the additional mass of the dynamat. So the trick to effective damping is not in the name or the marketing, it's simply adding mass to the target sheet metal. There are other considerations, as mentioned in this thread, such as odor, cost, ease of application, etc., but the goal in damping noise, sound, vibration, etc. is to add mass.

This does the trick and is much much cheaper than Dynamat:

http://www.polyguardproducts.com/products/...eel-n-stick.pdf

available at your local roofing supply house. It is bitumen based (asphaltic) so it may smell slightly like fresh pavement for a few days after install...

I don't post much in Electronics, but I think Willie Gee can vouch for my electronics experience ;)
Kraftwerks v.2 SC, LHT custom exhaust, Skunk2 header, AEM EMS S.2 V2 CAI. Hondata gasket. Volk 17" CE28N's. JRZ SA's GFL BSK, Mugen: N1 ECU, header, exhaust, 31.8mm bar, thermostat, fan switch, radiator cap. T1R test pipe. Wilwood/Spugen 6-pot/13" BBK Weber Sports CF Hood Craftsquare CF Mirrors Muz's X-brace & stuff. Rick's Ti Voodoo & stuff

Posted ImagePosted Image

#25 User is offline   marks2002 

Posted 17 June 2005 - 12:05 AM

Have any of you RAAMmat buyers ever ordered a half-roll or otherwise partial roll.

I just want to do my doors and a whole roll (fifty feet...!) seems like much more than I need.

If you're not in a hurry I'll be placing an order within a week or two, and could spare some.

Otherwise, Rolling Audio in Sacramento usually has some on hand. 916-565-0100

Ads by Google   S2KI

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users