S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Is Dynamat worth the $$$ or? is there a good alt?

Old 06-08-2005, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Dynamat worth the $$$ or? is there a good alt?

Hey all,

I have some questions bout a stereo upgrade that's coming and figured here'd be a good place to start.

I'm looking to see if dynamat is worth the $$$ that people say it is?

or if there's a viable alternative that isn't as expensive such as Fatmat, stinger's buzzkill and or other products?

Looking at lining the doors and potentially all of the trunk to enhance the clarity of the stereo.

any and all advice to those whom have gone through this process before would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

D
Old 06-08-2005, 10:06 AM

There is an alternative/complement to Dynamat. It is called Quietcoat, which is liquid and you can apply it with a brush to any surface. You can buy it at www.quietsolution.com for about $70/gallon shipped, or you can buy it from S2ki sponsor, chipperman, for 15% discount.
I used it in the trunk and on the shell under the soft top with good result.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:11 AM

Or you can tune your sub to something other than the resonant frequency of your trunk. Depending on the type of music you like, bandpass may work well for this. The tradeoffs are more weight and less accurate bass(probably best suited to rap).
Old 06-08-2005, 10:13 AM

Cool thanks, I appreciate it!

So my guess is that you'd assume that I should use that for the trunk and the dynamat for the doors?

TIA..

d
Old 06-08-2005, 10:23 AM

If you have time to Dynamat the doors, it will be better. I did not do anything to the doors. If you do a search on Quietcoat, you can find some discussions about soundproofing. In general, the more time you can spend on doing the soundproofing, the more quiet the car will be. Someone removed both seats and carpets to apply Quietcoat on both passenger and driver floor, you can also apply Quietcoat to the rear wheel wells and under the car too. If you want to do all those area, you may need 2-3 gallons of Quietcoat. If this is the case, you may want to buy 5 gallon jug for about $200+ to save some $, and you can use some of it for other car(s)
Old 06-08-2005, 10:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just recently finished up my soundproofing to get rid of the exhaust "drone" using a combo dynomat/quietcoat method. I ranked the areas of the car according to effect on drone, but as I look back on it, these are most of your noise producing areas.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...pic=275932&hl=

The easiest to get to would be the tray area under the softtop.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:06 AM

WOW, fantastic information, thank you VERY much! great read and the link from a previous thread has def. made the decision much easier.

I think at this point Quiet coat for 1 gal makes complete sense and then dynamat the doors and then revisit the thought if I want more, etc...

hopefully in the next week it'll be all said and done.

laters.

d
Old 06-08-2005, 05:56 PM

I found a cheap alternative to dynamat. I think scosche makes it but wal-mart sells a door speaker kit for like $10 to start with. They don't have the complete car kit though.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:09 PM
Banned

Are you looking for just vibration control or sound absorbing as well? Dynamat has some decent sound absorbing material(s), as well as their infamous vibration control sheets.

There are other companies with better products for both vibration and sound absorbing as well, but they are more costly.

Procon and Cascade come to mind, but there are other manufacturers, mostly european who specialize in home audio/industrial, etc. sound dampening products, that can be used in vehicles, but they are hyper expensive.

For decent sound absorbing material, and the quantity you would need, be prepared to spend about $500+ unless you have a hook-up. for just vibration control...do the entire car for around $125-200
Old 06-09-2005, 10:11 PM

buy from Elemental Design

there liquid deadener is $50 per gallon and works great..the mat deadeners are excellent as well.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/category...e=damp&cur=USD

Quick Reply: Is Dynamat worth the $$$ or? is there a good alt?