S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How to use remote while key is in ignition

Old 05-30-2007, 03:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had my alarm system instaled in 2001 it also changed out my trunk opener. To date I have never had the problem of the trunk opening while moving.

Great job Cyclon
Old 05-30-2007, 04:04 AM

It is a great mod. Especially because the way Honda designed that circuit, a simple press of the trunk release button will not open the trunk. There is a delay and I would say in real world conditions, it's not possible for the you (or your knee) to activate the trunk release unintentionally with the key in the ignition.

I did not do this mod but like JimmyB posted, it came as a very welcome surprise when I got my aftermarket alarm installed.

Now, if my glovebox is locked I can still open the trunk. This is very useful when you are picking up a passenger, the car is running and they have a large bag or something that needs to go in the trunk. I would previously have to shut the engine off, remove the key so I could unlock the glovebox and press the trunk release....wait, in my car I Modifried that so the key has to be in the ignition for that circuit to work....so unlock the glovebox, put the key back in and set to ACC or START so I could unlock the trunk or with the key still out of the ignition press the trunk release key on the key fob and pop the trunk and then put the key back in the ignition and start the car. Neither is an elegant procedure or solution.....

In any case, I love being able to unlock the trunk from the key fob at any time whether the key is in the ignition or not or whether the glove box is locked or not.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:32 AM

Great idea and thanks for the information. I've always wanted to use the fob while it's in the ignition to unlock the passenger door.

Mike
Old 05-30-2007, 07:07 AM

Nicee.. will have to do this, annoying when I have to shut off the engine just to open the trunk when the glove box is locked.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:34 AM

It is kind of funny to see the life of this thread.

It was originally posted almost 2 years ago and didn't have many responses. It was dead an buried in the thread graveyard until webmasterino found it and brought it back to life.

Now it has several people who think it is a worth while mod, me included. I'm going to do it this afternoon.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:19 AM
tof

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,306 Posts

I like it. Will let this thread percolate for a few weeks to (hopefully) pick up some more feedback. IIRC from my old civic days Honda connectors are pretty easy to work with.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:40 PM

Received 219 Likes on 162 Posts

I actually meant to perform this mod but forgot all about it! Woo Hoo. Sumfin' to do!
Old 05-30-2007, 01:48 PM

awesomeeee mocl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-30-2007, 01:50 PM

what is the reason (safety or otherwise) for honda to disable the fob while in the ignition?

for example in the top-down-while-driving mod, the speed monitor for the top makes sense cuz if you really don't want to be opening/closing the top at anything higher than low speeds.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:09 AM

i really wanted to do this mod, and i finally got around to doing it yesterday.

however, it did not work for me. disconnecting wires 13 and 16 did nothing. it is probably because i have the factory alarm system... so now i have to get back under the dash and reconnect the wiring.

Quick Reply: How to use remote while key is in ignition