S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

K20a Swap is it really possible?

Old 12-07-2005, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know for A FACT that the K20a will not make 270 anywhere near close to "easy"

So far as I have experienced:

High Lift camshaft
strengthened valve springs
race header (no cat)
70mm race exhaust
Cold air intake
ECU reprogram (KRPO)

barely, just barely breaking 220-225.

that is $3,570 in parts, not including shipping.

The K-series has a limit on how far it can go N/A, and F/I for that matter. Which is one of the reasons I'm selling my type s.

if your looking for power, you would be way better off getting forged internals, new sleeves, headgasket, and piecing your own turbo kit. spend $7,000 on your f2 and make 330-400 rwhp.

rwd > fwd.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:39 PM

If it was easy Honda wouldn't have gone against the grain by using the F20c.

Old 12-07-2005, 05:26 PM

if you want high n/a wheels horepower, get a k24 block, cunnigham rods, je pistons, 12:5.1 compression, few little things in the block like acl bearings etc, just to be safe

you get a cometic headgasket, you get cams from ips called kme's, valvetrain, and some twm 50mm individual throttle bodies
of course a supporting fuel system

and a kpro

now if you know where to shop, and how to find deals and dont jus go to the first place you find or the COOL shop to go to on the internet, then you can build this motor including the price of the head, block and transmission for under 8 grand

the motor mentioned above will make well over 275 whp, closer to 295
Old 12-07-2005, 05:33 PM
Former Moderator

Received 288 Likes on 267 Posts

As long as you put it in a FWD car you'll be fine.

I'll stick with my used SC that makes 295whp, all for under 4k.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:45 PM

im not saying i whould put that motor in an S, if i built that motor id put it in a type r like mine

an S id probally end up turboing if i wanted real power
Old 12-07-2005, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by CarBoN,Dec 7 2005, 08:59 AM
ok so if drivtrain loss between fwd and rwd is so close, how come people are making sooo much more wheel horspower with k series motors then with f series?

there seems to be the same amount of parts available for each motor, and people are making very high wheel horspower numbers with k series for much less money

i mean i can build a k24/k20 motor to 275whp for less then 7 grand including the price of the head/block and trans

that will not happen on a f series motor
The major cause, at least from my research, is tuning.
For one, the K-series motors have the Hondata K-pro available, which is an easy plug and play fully tunable ECU. I guarantee if there was an F-pro or something of the like (basically a stock ECU that was upgraded to fully tunable for less than a grand) then you'd see many people putting down better numbers N/A.
Also, the K20 has i-VTEC instead of the regular VTEC. Basically, it works the same way as tunable cam gears do. With adjustable cam gears, one can tune the cam angles to make maximum power up top, but will lose some down low. This is why the K-series generally make much better low-mid range torque with the same amount of horsepower as the F-series.
With the i-VTEC, though, the cam angles are adjusted electronically by the ECU. This means that the cam angles can be set at optimal position for maximum power across the entire rev-range opposed to just one spot. This leads to the ability to gain even more power with dyno-tuning.
Hope you enjoyed my novel
Old 12-07-2005, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by CarBoN,Dec 7 2005, 09:02 AM
and it will do it making better gas mileage and be more reliable
If you really think you can have 300whp N/A S2000 anywhere near as reliable as an s2000 with a bolt-on vortech or comptech kit you are sorely mistaken.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:11 PM

I just want to clear up the 300WHP N/A horsepower being better than the 300 WHP F/I setup. I'm sorry but you don't have to BOOST if you dont want to. By not boosting you are running around on your stock compression...stock fuel map, basically stock. Therefore you are getting the SAME gas mileage depending on how you drive. Thats my argument for FI.

N/A...you cant tell me that 12.5:1 compression pistons, maybe some upgraded crazy cam profiles and all will get the same gas mileage as it did stock.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by CarBoN,Dec 7 2005, 01:02 PM
for the people that suggested goin boost, n/a all the way, 275+ all motor wheel horspower is nuts, all motor horspower is much differnet then turbo power

a 300 all motor wheel horspower S2000 will smoke a 300 wheel horspower turbo S2000, and it will do it making better gas mileage and be more reliable
Now thats just plain silly. First off a 300whp turbo s2k would have more torque than an NA one would and the power curve is totally different. To have 300whp on an NA s2k would mean it would have to probably spin to close to redline to get large amounts of power...turbo the power would come on sooner.

All that said I bet a 280whp turbo s2k would smoke a 300whp NA s2k.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:46 PM

"K20a Swap is it really possible?" has turned into "Pi$$ing Contest". Who cares which engine makes more power? is anyone really even remotely considering taking out a perfectly good f20 and replacing it with an engine that makes less hp (and isnt configured for rwd)? Or are people just trolling looking for anothhhherrrr argument on f20 v. k20?

Quick Reply: K20a Swap is it really possible?