JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

Spoon ECU

Old 08-24-2006, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually JDM tuner ECUs have bypassed/disabled on all sensors, some very dangerous ones ala the Knock Sensor. The ratio goes Amuse > Mine's VX-ROM > J's Racing > Mugen > Spoon. Note that the usual big players are at the end because they started the very first release and all the base work for the rest. With a max power net of 20 ~ 10wbhp with I/H/E complimenting mods.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:07 PM

is there a way to see the break down of each manufacturer's ecu programming? See what they tuned in their ECU?
Old 08-24-2006, 11:42 PM

Actually JDM tuner ECUs have bypassed/disabled on all sensors, some very dangerous ones ala the Knock Sensor
This may be true and Im no expert but when my car was in for its serivce I had the guys plug in my ECU and they could see every readout /sensor as per the OEM ECU , hence my comments.

Infact they didnt believe me that it wasnt the stock one because of this as they believed that the ECU would come back with very little.

Either way its a great upgrade
Old 08-25-2006, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Lickermat,Aug 24 2006, 11:42 PM
This may be true and Im no expert but when my car was in for its serivce I had the guys plug in my ECU and they could see every readout /sensor as per the OEM ECU , hence my comments.

Infact they didnt believe me that it wasnt the stock one because of this as they believed that the ECU would come back with very little.

Either way its a great upgrade
Did yours also throw a check engine light?
Old 08-25-2006, 06:06 AM

Nope mine runs sweet, no issues I asked my dealer to plug in to look to make sure that it was all ok.

There is no reason why it should cause any issues; you do need to reset the ECU once fitted as with any ECU replacement.

Old 08-25-2006, 06:25 AM

Hmm thats odd, my friend that sold it to me had a check engine light and i got it after about 2 minutes after install. I figure the ecu was automatically reset since it was unplugged.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:21 AM

No idea Y , there are a few of us in the UK with the ECU with no problems. Once you plug in the ECU then reset it so that it clears the learning. On first boot the car will idle high once reset it will all run as normal. Im no enginner but the engine light may be somthing else

Old 08-25-2006, 09:09 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Matt,

Most of these type of ECU's retain all of the OEM parts / chips etc - so very little is changed apart from the fuelling / timing parts of the map. So all your OBDII functions are untouched. Its just easier for them to sell you a whole ECU, rather than risk the reputation / liability issues of letting you replace a chip inside the ECU itself. (hence the exchange basis on most of them)

For this reason it will appear to a diagnostic tool / monitor as a stock ECU - because essentially it is.

Mugen does not utilise the OEM knock sensor - risky IMO.

MB
Old 08-25-2006, 12:07 PM

im told that the engine light is from no longer having an immbolizer. Perhaps thats why you dont have one since your in the UK, just like in japan they dont use one.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:48 PM

Immobilizer disabled does not activate a CEL ... And MB's comments on why they still produce read out is accurate. While disabled sensors are only applicable for true racing use, using such an ECU for any other application otherwise designed is a hazard for the returned performance increase.

Quick Reply: Spoon ECU