S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Alternative to Shin-Etsu grease?

Old 11-27-2006, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternative to Shin-Etsu grease?

I went to the dealership today to pick up some Shin-Etsu grease, but they said they're out of stock until Thursday or Friday. So I go to AutoZone and Kragen to see if they would have some kind of silicone grease, and I found this.

Name:  silcan.jpg
Views: 9708
Size:  46.7 KB

Would this work for the weatherseals? If not, I'll just return this and try the dealership over in Carson City.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

not sure... looks to me like a lubricant- dont use it without making sure-
hopefully someone here will know.

best 2nd choice to shin etsu would be other rubber protectants... many vinyl products will also work on rubber (just check the instructions)- shin etsu is good because it restores internal moisture and softness to the soft rubber parts.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:17 PM

Well so far I've been using Mother's Back to Black. While it does keep it a nice black matte color, I'm still getting way too many leaks through the top weatherseals when I wash the car. I'm hoping that the Shin-Etsu grease will help reduce the leaking. Otherwise I guess it's time for new seals.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:28 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shin Etsu is nothing more than white lithium grease..... You should be able to get it at any autoparts store (although many times, they never stock white, only black....)....try not to use silicone on rubber seals...once it is absorbed, the rubber cannot be treated again.

P.S. Ive been to about 7 Honda dealers looking for shin etsu before I started buying lithium.....

5 dont know what the hell it is (dealers and employees are idiots)
2 were out of stock.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:39 PM
Banned

I have a bottle of white lithium grease and I will try this. Does anybody have a tutorial on where and how to "lube" the weather stripping?

BTW, and not to go off topic, how the hell do I get rid of water getting into my cabin from the drivers side?
Old 11-27-2006, 10:08 PM

Now white lithium grease I do have. But are you sure the Shin Etsu is also the same thing? I tried searching on the boards and results showed that Shin Etsu is silicone grease. Even TSB 03-023 stated Shin Etsu grease and white lithium grease as 2 separate required materials.

Trivium, do you know where the leak is coming from? Seeing as you have an '02, it's possible the weatherseals are worn-in (I know mine are). I was thinking of applying the white lithium grease but I don't want to make it worse than it is. All you basically have to do is apply a small amount of grease to the seals and rub it in thoroughly.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:15 PM

This is what it says on the back of the can:

"Lubricates and waterproofs all types of surfaces. The unique non-staining formula reduces wear, eliminates sticking and stops annoying squeaks while providing a durable and protective coating. Perfect for use on doors and door hinges, rubber gaskets, weather stripping and exercise equipment. Protects locks from freezing."
Old 11-27-2006, 11:26 PM
Banned

can Shin-etsu or lithium really prevent water from entering the cabin through the weather seals?
Old 11-28-2006, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by guardiase,Nov 28 2006, 01:17 AM
Well so far I've been using Mother's Back to Black. While it does keep it a nice black matte color, I'm still getting way too many leaks through the top weatherseals when I wash the car. I'm hoping that the Shin-Etsu grease will help reduce the leaking. Otherwise I guess it's time for new seals.
My top used to leak a little in the driver side front corner when it used to rain heavily. I tried shin-etsu, but the only thing that really fixed it was replacing the oem strikers with hardtop strikers. Now it's a much tighter fit and no leaking.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the grease "plumps up" the seals, so it can help with minor leaks.
another easy thing to try before changing the top strikers is to take some of the tubing that is used for the air hoses in fish tanks- cut a very small piece and put it over the finger of the latch. this will tighten up the latch. if this works with the leak, then you might want to consider changing the latches- or you might just decide to live with the tube solution!

Quick Reply: Alternative to Shin-Etsu grease?