JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

ITBs and the S2000

Old 01-22-2007, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wildcard do you have any pics of your filter setup, or is it top secret?
Old 01-22-2007, 07:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah wildcardtrd, I think your experience with these has really made me want to go ITB now instead of turbo -- it seems much more in line with the way the S2000 was built and intended than going turbo does on the car, and I don't personally like superchargers.

You have great midrange, a really great driveable powerband (which is a large improvement over the stock S2000 powerband) that should be kicked way up with a header and a good exhaust, on one hand I would definately go with something more high-flowing than a Comptech exhaust, but on the other hand Twiztid has almost 300whp out of an F20C running a Supersprint exhaust (and I think the stock exhaust manifold) and said in one thread before that the exhaust ports aren't even big enough to really benefit much from going to a larger header without doing machine work, I think the headers that gain power just benefit from better-designed piping if his research is correct.

I know you said funds are tight and you're probably going to leave it as-is for now, but you might end up being one of the big-hp NA guys in FL within a short time frame.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:46 PM

yes but can you hold an idle in the morning?
Old 01-22-2007, 08:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speaking of ITBs (and I don't mean to get OT), but does anyone know or think if it is feasible for ITBs to be fitted into an '06+ s2k, keeping in mind of the DBW/ECU changes?

I mean I would have to swap out the stock ECU anyway for a standalone, but I don't know how ITBs could work with the revised DBW throttle system
Old 01-22-2007, 09:06 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ITB's are great if you have the time to really get them running right. Once I get some money ill have some hayward's
Old 01-22-2007, 11:48 PM

I'm looking at the TWM ITB kit, with an AEM EMS 1052u. Its going to mated with a Ricks header and an HKS Hi-Power exhaust.

What fuel pressure regulator should I be looking at? Does one not come with the kit?

The only concern I have is the lack of filter for these things! Won't the ITBS suck in everything?

And what about the quality of air that is fed to the ITBs? The engine is located at the back of the bay and away from any "good" airflow ...(compared to having a snorkel behind the right headlamp)

I'm aware of the the noise, mid-range gains and improved engine response, and thats what makes this so exciting!
Old 01-22-2007, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by kenstyle,Jan 23 2007, 05:22 AM
...but I don't know how ITBs could work with the revised DBW throttle system...
Man, thats a good question!

A DBW system has a potentiometer on the accelerator pedal and feeds the signal electronically to a motor which in turn opens the butterfly in the throttle body.

The ITB kits are purely mechanical at this stage, so I think you may be out of luck on both the ITBs, but I'm pretty sure you can still go FI!

I could be wrong, but my research tells me I'm not!
Old 01-23-2007, 03:20 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by grantedS2k,Jan 23 2007, 03:48 AM
I'm looking at the TWM ITB kit, with an AEM EMS 1052u. Its going to mated with a Ricks header and an HKS Hi-Power exhaust.

What fuel pressure regulator should I be looking at? Does one not come with the kit?

The only concern I have is the lack of filter for these things! Won't the ITBS suck in everything?

And what about the quality of air that is fed to the ITBs? The engine is located at the back of the bay and away from any "good" airflow ...(compared to having a snorkel behind the right headlamp)

I'm aware of the the noise, mid-range gains and improved engine response, and thats what makes this so exciting!
Hayward is quality, they are designed well and work with most of the oem componants.

You can buy air socks for them to filter out some of the debris, you dont have to run them 100% open. Lance @ hayward can get them for you, I think they are $90.00

I wouldnt run an HKS exhaust with the ITB's. If your going n/a you should look into a 70mm single header back system, or 63mm single exhaust. Single will get you the most power.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by shamowfski,Jan 22 2007, 09:23 PM
wildcard do you have any pics of your filter setup, or is it top secret?
I'm picking up a set of filters from VolkGT-N this friday, but I know an inside guy at K&N that's gonna research some angles and get back to me
Old 01-23-2007, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by zbrewha863,Jan 22 2007, 11:32 PM
Yeah wildcardtrd, I think your experience with these has really made me want to go ITB now instead of turbo -- it seems much more in line with the way the S2000 was built and intended than going turbo does on the car, and I don't personally like superchargers.

You have great midrange, a really great driveable powerband (which is a large improvement over the stock S2000 powerband) that should be kicked way up with a header and a good exhaust, on one hand I would definately go with something more high-flowing than a Comptech exhaust, but on the other hand Twiztid has almost 300whp out of an F20C running a Supersprint exhaust (and I think the stock exhaust manifold) and said in one thread before that the exhaust ports aren't even big enough to really benefit much from going to a larger header without doing machine work, I think the headers that gain power just benefit from better-designed piping if his research is correct.

I know you said funds are tight and you're probably going to leave it as-is for now, but you might end up being one of the big-hp NA guys in FL within a short time frame.
Thanks man
I've actually changed my mind on the exhaust, again. If I don't go with a T1R 70 sparrow, I'm going to make a 70mm dual with either Tanabe or Megan mufflers, haven't decided yet. After the exhaust, I'm going to try to score a J's header. That should round me off nice for awhile

I'm gonna bug some people to get my that exhaust by my birthday, so look for some new dyno's from me around April

Quick Reply: ITBs and the S2000