JDM Tuning Expert advice and discussion on JDM tuning for your S2000.

Buddy Club Low Down Seat Rail Install

Old 02-19-2007, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buddy Club Low Down Seat Rail Install

This install was pretty straight forward for the most part, with one exception that I will explain shortly.

I've started tracking my S regularly and needed a bucket to keep my body from rattling around in the cockpit. I decided to go with a Recaro SPG.. naturally I'd opt for the Recaro mounting hardware, however I had heard that using that setup would possibly make the seating position HIGHER than stock... I don't know for sure... but... be that as it may, its not an option for me, I'm 6'3". I've already lowered my stock seat position, I'm not about to go back up. (see my sig for lowering your stock seat)

After sitting in Williams (E-Autosports) S2000... (SPG + BC rails) I was sold. Its a very low rail and seemed like a nice piece.

Again, this install was nothing crazy, however I ran into a snag. When I tried to install the stock seatbelt clip to the seat rail, I remembered that Honda Seatbelts have those little tabs just below the bolt on the belt clip. When installed this tab fits in a small hole below the bolt hole and keeps the clip from rotating more than about 20 or 30 degrees.
The Backyard Special seat rail I got for my stock seat came with a small hole for this tab, Smart. However the Buddy Club rail did not. Now I can only assume that this rail was thought to be used more with a racing harness and a tab would be a non issue. Anyway, after deciding that cutting/bending this tab would compromise the integrity of the belt system, it became obvious that I needed to make my own hole for the tab.

Enter Dewalt 18V Drill....

Name:  Rail_01_Detail_02.jpg
Views: 3303
Size:  48.0 KB

Belt Clip Installed

Name:  Clicker_installed.jpg
Views: 3756
Size:  59.4 KB

... Problem solved. Make sure to get a drill bit designed for metal or steel if you're going this route.

The Buddy Club Super Low Down rails are a good choice for anyone that wants options. They've got a lot of adjustability, I think they'd accomodate any side mount bucket... however because the side mount bracket's hole location is on the inside of the setup, this makes it hard to make adjustments when fitting your seat. Also since the rails mount individually and are not attached in any way, it is a tricky task getting the spacing just right when bolting to the floor of the car. It will take a little trial, a little error, and a bit of patience.

I'm happy with this setup, though I think attaching the rails together would make the initial setup much easier.

Thanks to Dave at www.inlinefour.com for getting these parts for me

Name:  Parts.jpg
Views: 3444
Size:  67.1 KB
Old 02-19-2007, 11:24 PM

Are these sliders? If so do you think its possible to go lower with just brackets that dont slide ?
Old 02-20-2007, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by SUPERAnimal,Feb 20 2007, 12:24 AM
Are these sliders? If so do you think its possible to go lower with just brackets that dont slide ?
This is a complete kit that cannot be used seperately. The tabs that bolt to the floor are welded directly to the bottoms of the sliders/rails. I think you would have to get a custom set made without sliders to go any lower.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:04 AM

did you use any type of washer etc. in between the mounting points on the bracket, and the seat itself? I always wondered if some type of washer should be used or should there be direct contact between the seat and the mount.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:20 AM
vvs

Nice write up, how about some pics with the seat installed.

We have the rails in stock right now as well.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=457619
Old 02-20-2007, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by circa86,Feb 20 2007, 11:04 AM
did you use any type of washer etc. in between the mounting points on the bracket, and the seat itself? I always wondered if some type of washer should be used or should there be direct contact between the seat and the mount.
I did actually, I have some pics of the seat install but I didn't have them at home when I did the write up. I'll post them up soon.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So to slide the seat back/forth do you pull up on the handle in the front of the seat? Right now I have Bride seats with a Bride Zeta 3 seat, and each slider has it's own lever that is beside the seat to slide it. A real pita! I've been thinking of going to Mugen rails as I hear that are really nice/low/ and easy to slide/adjust. These BC's might be an affordable alternative. Thanks for your input and the excellent write up!
Old 02-20-2007, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Highrpmek,Feb 20 2007, 02:52 PM
So to slide the seat back/forth do you pull up on the handle in the front of the seat? Right now I have Bride seats with a Bride Zeta 3 seat, and each slider has it's own lever that is beside the seat to slide it. A real pita! I've been thinking of going to Mugen rails as I hear that are really nice/low/ and easy to slide/adjust. These BC's might be an affordable alternative. Thanks for your input and the excellent write up!
Yup, sliding the BC setup is like stock. One horizontal lever that is very easy to reach. The trick is in the install however... if you don't get them within a certain threshold of "parallel" then they won't slide as easily... I still have some adjusting to do to get it nice and "stock" smooth and loose, but its not bad.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So as an estimate if you would, How much lower than OEM stock do you think you're sitting. For example on the lowest Bride rail setting, I feel I'm about 3/4" - 1" lower?
Old 02-20-2007, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Highrpmek,Feb 20 2007, 06:55 PM
So as an estimate if you would, How much lower than OEM stock do you think you're sitting. For example on the lowest Bride rail setting, I feel I'm about 3/4" - 1" lower?
Whew.... well damn... thats gonna be tricky... I've reclined the bucket and such, so my perspective could be off... but how about this. I felt about 1" lower with my stock seat/BYS rail setup, and this BC/Recaro setup feels lower than that, so I'll say 1 1/2" to 1 3/4". I'd say 2" but that may be pushing it.

Quick Reply: Buddy Club Low Down Seat Rail Install