S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Kart Racing Workout Recommendations

Old 05-10-2008, 02:00 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by S2Kretard,May 10 2008, 05:09 PM
Indoor karting should not be physically draining. Real karts beat you up 10 times more.
You ain't lyin'! I couldn't believe the difference. What you don't see are the elevation changes, too. This is VIR's kart track.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S2Kretard,May 9 2008, 06:35 PM
Indoor karts barely break 1g, if that.

Real karts with sticky tires are usually around 1.5g, with spikes up to 2g over bumps in some corners.
Indoor karts on concrete/pavement, sure.

The place in St. Louis was running real race tires on a special rubber grip surface. I don't know if it was 2g, and they're closed now so we'll never find out, but it was much more than any indoor karting place you've seen before.

I've also been to Boston F1. I did a league and other events there when I was in school. The country track sucks...there's no where to pass equally skilled drivers. Otherwise, it's a good time. I don't ever remember being tired afterwards, though during that time I was used to driving our Formula SAE cars.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

indoor karts are cake after racing shifter karts lol. I would say the best thing to do is spend some money with a personal trainer, explain what your doing, and let him set up a good routine for you, it will also help you shed that fat. You need to work on arms, forearms etc but endurance is key, and a big thing in karts is relaxing and breath! take a session and focus on breathing, you may find your holding your breath a lot or only breathing in small spurts while driving.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

karting lamaze
Old 05-10-2008, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Billj747,May 10 2008, 01:37 PM
I do believe you are in better shape than me...

...and your arms were hurting much more than mine after some Kart Factory action

---Further proof to justify your claims
Refresh my memory good sir, I can't recall who won that race...?

Old 05-10-2008, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by FormulaRedline,May 10 2008, 04:06 PM
The place in St. Louis was running real race tires on a special rubber grip surface. I don't know if it was 2g, and they're closed now so we'll never find out, but it was much more than any indoor karting place you've seen before.
The fastest ICA karts in the country aren't pulling over 1.7 like Billy said.

And how the hell do you know what kind of karts I've driven? I've driven karts so grippy, they went up on 2 wheels instead of losing traction.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:49 PM

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

[QUOTE=S2Kretard,May 10 2008, 09:42 PM]Refresh my memory good sir, I can't recall who won that race...?

Old 05-10-2008, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,May 10 2008, 02:00 PM
You ain't lyin'! I couldn't believe the difference. What you don't see are the elevation changes, too. This is VIR's kart track.

Nice, I grew up in Winchester btw
Old 05-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by S2Kretard,May 10 2008, 01:09 PM
Lol...

Indoor karting should not be physically draining. Real karts beat you up 10 times more.

You are probably both out of shape and way too tense behind the wheel. I'm in OK shape, but I'm a decent kart driver, and that means I'm not gorilla-gripping the wheel and bracing my body in the corners. I'm calm & relaxed... I could do indoor karts all day long, and I'm nothing special.

My $.02 is to focus on your driving. Try to get to the point where you're relaxed and mainly using your muscles to give steering/brake/throttle inputs, rather than having your whole forearms & upper body tensed up. Unless you're incredibly out of shape, I guarantee you that this is what's causing you fatigue.
You're 100% right. At the time I was HORRIBLY out of shape, and I was gripping the wheel like it was going out of style. I'll have to go back again and try to chill the hell out next time. I think it was just such a different setting than road racing an RSX that I more or less freaked out.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:44 AM

After my 1st race weekend in a 125cc Tag kart at the Chilliwack BC track ( www.cartbc.com ) I felt the same way, in need of some training. After the 2 dry feature races of Sunday I was blasted.

Since I have been doing a lot of different exercises to combat race fatigue.

Swimming (I go for an hour 3 times a week), to help my core and stamina. A few of the cartBC turns last for ages, one around 4 seconds. That should really help keep me stabilized in the kart during the corners.

Running, sorta self explanatory. Helps with overall fitness.

Light weights and the reflex rubber bands. I like to do LOTS of reps to simulate prolonged muscle use. The weights also help with grip, my hands were shot after every dry session.

Indoor karting is a little different to say the least. As mentioned earlier, for that, more karting might be the simple answer.

me

rich

Quick Reply: Kart Racing Workout Recommendations