S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

***Official Header Thread***

Old 09-23-2008, 09:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ***Official Header Thread***

Please feel free to post you experiences and reviews/results so that I may update the information in this thread.

Note: While there is a lot of info here...I believe it is also lacking of a lot of info as well. I will be updating as often as I can, including updating with information that comes up in this thread.

Big thank you to wildcardtrd for some great information.
Here is a link to the original thread: Wildcard Header Thread
Like all great threads it began to stray off topic. Let's try to keep this one on the right path.

Since the truth of what headers work and what ones don't seem to be surrounded in a shroud of mystery and rumors, Lets all discuss the topic of headers here. Any proven dyno's that you have done of *just* the header swap, would be very, very much be appreciated. Remember, all headers work better when they have a free-flowing exhaust behind them. A header alone won't make very much power, but if you already have a test pipe and/or a good aftermarket exhaust, you will get much better gains out of your aftermarket header. Another important note about headers, is that almost all of them tested lean out the power band slightly. To fully benefit from a header, a re-tune of the ecu, whether it be via piggyback or stand-alone, is necessary (as with most modifications).

An FYI, S2000 headers come in 2 different variations, based on 2 different theories of design. The first type of header is the Tri-y design, otherwise known as a 4-2-1 header. It's called a Tri-y due to the 3 "Y" collectors that reduce the 4 primaries into 2 secondaries, and finally into 1 collector- thus the reason they are also called 4-2-1 headers. The other type is the 4-1 header. This type of header typically has equal length, long primaries, that all go together into one collector right before the exit.

Should be noted that all cars are different, and while one car may receive X amount of HP/TQ gains from a product...another may receive something more or even less. This is just to give those of us some insight into products currently available for the S2K, with what info we have on them so far.

HEADERS

OEM
Tri-y design 1-4, 2-3 non-sequential pairing, oval primaries 44mm W x 37mm H, long secondaries. Overall nice design for OEM, but not the cleanest or nicest bends. Weight is 23.5 lbs.

5zigen - $700
Tri-y design. 42.7mm primaries, 50.8 secondaries, 60.5mm collector. Great looking header, with very minimal performance gains.

Amuse R1 - $1,595
Tri-y design. This header weighs 10 lbs, about 13 lbs lighter then the stock piece. It's the lightest header available for the S2000. Gains up to 10hp have been seen mid range with very minimal gains up top of around 2-3hp

Amuse R1 Ti Version - $2,574
There no information available for this header, but it is the same design as the regular Amuse R1 header. This is the only full titanium header for the S2k. I would assume it would have similar gains as the regular Amuse R1, but would be lighter due to the material.

ARK R-Spec - $959
4-1 design. Stainless steel construction. This system comes with a test pipe with CEL fix. No real information on this system yet.

ASM - $1,500
4-1 design, 48mm primaries, 65mm collector. No real information is available yet on this header. Being ASM I would not doubt it being a great system. ASM also has a second manifold as well. Hope to have info on that system in the near future.

Dyno
Berk Technologies - $600
Tri-y design. 50mm primaries. This system weighs in at a little under 12 lbs. Alone there are very minimal gains up top, but with a good exhaust system there are decent gains.

Buddy Club - $850-$1000
Tri-y design. 1-4, 2-3 non-sequential pairing. Primary piping - 43mm ID, secondary piping - 48mm ID, (bottle neck) - 51mm ID, Collector - 62.5mm. No other information available on this header.

Comptech - $900
4-1 design. 50mm Primaries to a 63mm collector. This header weighs 15.8lbs. Stainless steel construction. Supposedly carb legal. Was once a popular header amongst owners. Decent gains seen in the mid range.

CT Engineering - $945
4-1 design. Full stainless steel construction. No other information available at this time.

DC Sports - $400
4-1 design. 45mm primaries. A very cheap header. No real benefits from this, but has been magazine tested showing 1-3hp gains.

First - $490
4-1 design. 50mm. 1.7mm piping thickness. 2.5" Outlet. Made of 304SUS stainless.

Fuji Racing - $500
Tri-y design. This system weighs in at about 9lbs, however, it is sill in the prototype stages.

Fujistubo Super Ex - $840
Tri-y design. 45mm primaries. This header is 10 lbs lighter then the stock system. No real information available on this header other then that.

HKS
4-1 design. 45mm primaries. This header weighs in at 11 lbs. Full stainless steel construction. Another beautiful piece that does very little performance wise. More info to come.

Dyno - Hytech Header and Exhaust
Hytech - $1350
Custom Orders. The pic to the right is the race version with longer secondaries, and replaces the use of a CAT or test pipe. The only sequential header for the S2K currently. 1-3, and 2-4 pairing. 44.45mm primaries, 50.80mm secondaries, 63.50mm collector. Very difficult header to come by, and the priciest of the bunch. This is the only header to out perform the J's Racing header. The ultimate system for the S2000, and we are still patiently awaiting for this to be mass produced for the public.

Invidia - $700
Tri-y design. Weighs 13.5lbs. Not much else available at this time.

Dyno - 06 Stock vs. J's Racing Intake & Header.
Dyno - 06 Stock vs. J's Racing Header.
J's SPL - $1,250
Tri-y design. Equal length 50mm primaries, 50mm secondaries, tapering to a 55-60mm collector. This is the best header available for the S2K at the moment. Gives great gains across the entire power band. One of the only headers that show big gains up top. Gains upwards of 5-7hp have been seen at peak, with about 15-17hp seen mid range. This These results are with the addition of an aftermarket exhaust system.
On a completely stock car gains would be around half those numbers.

JVT Racing - $189
No information available at this time.

Maxim Works/Feels Header - $1,440
4-1 design. This header has long primaries. No information available on this header.

Install and Review
Megan - $400
Tri-Y design. 2" primaries, 2.5" collector. A decent header at an affordable price. Slight increase in power in the higher rpm range. This header weighs 12 lbs.

Mugen - $1,300
Tri-y design. 45mm primaries. Another popular header of most S2K owners. Gains upwards of 10hp have been seen mid range, with little to no peak hp gains. It's about 10 lbs lighter then the stock header. Mugen headers are the only ones that incorporates a heat shield.

Dyno - 05 Stock vs. Mugen AP2 Header.
Mugen AP2 - $1,300
Tri-y design. This header supposedly weighs 10lbs. A very steady 6-7 hp increase has been seen from mid range and continues to peak. Also incorporates a heat shield.

OBX - $200
Tri-y design. This crap is not even worth mentioning. The cheapest header available for the S2K both in price and quality.

Podio Racing
4-1 design with short primaries. Made os stainless steel construction. No other information available at this time.

Rick's - $600
Tri-y design. This header is basically similar in design to that of the Mugen header. Gains are similar, and mainly seen in the mid range. This header weighs in at about 13 lbs. Not recommended for the AP2, as stated by Rick himself.

RS-R - $700
Tri-y design. 45mm primaries. No information available for this header.

Dyno - Spoon header, tp, exhaust, EMS
Dyno - Same car as above vs. another
Spoon - $1,300
Tri-y design. 45mm primaries. This header is 12-13lbs. People have seen gains in the mid range with little to no gains up top.

T1R - $990
Tri-y design. Equal length 48mm primaries, 55mm secondaries, 65mm collector. This may very well become the best header available, but no information available on this header. Based off the specs this should show great results, however, there is not much other info available at this time.

Dyno
Dyno - 02 Stock vs. Toda Header.
Toda Standard - $1,150
Tri-y design. 45mm primaries, 50mm secondaries, tapering to a 50-60mm collector. The second best header available for the S2K, and another favorite amongst owners. Similar to the gains seen with the J's Racing header when added with an aftermarket exhaust system.

Toda Torquie-kun
Tri-y design. 45mm primaries, 50mm secondaries, tapering to a 50-60mm collector. Toda took their standard manifold, and improved on it with this "race" version. Compared to the good gains already seen from the standard version, this one makes a couple more peak hp, with a fuller power, and torque curve through out the power band.

Tracy Sports - $1,250
Tri-y design. 45mm primaries, 51mm secondaries, 60mm collector. Shows similar gains as the Toda with great gains mid range, and good gains up top.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:58 PM

I know one already existed, but like all topics it was beginning to just go off topic, and often just had people asking the same questions. Thought it was time for a new and improved version with photos.

if you guys have more info or better pics(especially of those missing) please post up.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have my permission to copy/paste the opening post of my header discussion to incorporate into your new thread if you so desire. I spent a great deal of time gathering this information...

Since the truth of what headers work and what ones don't seem to be surrounded in a shroud of mystery and rumors, Lets all discuss the topic of headers here. Any proven dyno's that you have done of *just* the header swap, would very, very much be appreciated. I will update this list with the latest information as it comes up in discussion in this thread. Remember, all headers work better when they have a free-flowing exhaust behind them. A header alone won't make very much power, but if you already have a test pipe and/or a good aftermarket exhaust, you will get much better gains out of your aftermarket header. Another important note about headers, is that almost all of them tested lean out the powerband slightly. To fully benefit from a header, a retune of the ecu, whether it be via piggyback or stand-alone, is necessary (as with most modifications).

I compilated a list of headers that are out and are coming out. Discuss!!
An FYI, S2000 headers come in 2 different variations, based on 2 different theories of design. The first type of header is the Tyi-y design, otherwise known as a 4-2-1 header. It's called a Tri-Y due to the 3 "Y" collectors that reduce the 4 primaries into 2 secondaries, and finally into 1 collector- thus the reason they are also called 4-2-1 headers. The other type is the 4-1 header. This type of header typically has equal length, long primaries, that all go together into one collector right before the exit.

OEM: tri-y design 1-4, 2-3 non-sequential pairing, oval primaries 44mm W x 37mm H, long secondaries. Overall nice design for OEM, but not the cleanest or nicest bends by any means. 23.5 lbs. Stock.

Amuse R1: tri-y design, 10 lbs, it is the lightest header for the S2000. Gains of over 10hp mid range and 2-5 hp peak (manufacturer claims). ~$1600
Also available in Full Titanium construction - The only full Ti header for the S2k. Details to come. ~$2600

ASM : 4-1 design, 48mm primaries, 65mm collector. No known dyno plots though, but it IS on the ASM S2000...~$1500

Buddy Club : Tri-y design, 1-4, 2-3 non-sequential pairing. Primary piping - 43mm ID, Secondary piping - 48mm ID, (bottle neck) - 51mm ID, Collector - 62.5mm. No dyno's yet. ~$850-$1000

Maxim Works / Feels Header: 4-1 design, long primaries, no know dyno's. ~$1400

Fujistubo Super Ex: tri-y design. 45mm primaries. 10 lbs weight savings, 8 hp gains (manufacutrer claims). ~$800

Fuji Racing tri-y design, 9lbs total weight. Still in prototype. ~$500.

thumbsup.gif J's SPL: tri-y design, equal length 50mm primaries, 55mm secondaries, 65mm collector. Solid, healthy gains across the entire powerband. +5 hp peak, +14 midrange hp @ 6200 proven when added to an existing high performance exhaust. Boosted applications w/o high flowing exhausts show zero net gains, however. Dyno sheet courtesy of Rfever here: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...age&img=378160
+2 hp peak, +7 hp @ 6200 when added to a completely bone stock AP2. Dyno sheet courtesy of AP2_S2K here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...DynoLabled.jpg ~$1200
Further proof that the J's makes good power, and even better power when properly tuned can be found in this informative thread HERE

Mugen: tri-y design. 45mm primaries. 10hp@6000rpm, little to no peak HP Gain. Weight savings: Approx 10lbs (manufacturer claims). ~$1300

thumbsup.gif Mugen AP2: tri-y design. Weight savings: Approx 10lbs (manufacturer claims). 6-7 hp from midrange to peak. Dyno provided by MugenRioS2k here: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...age&img=367633 ~$1300

thumbsup.gif Toda: tri-y design. 45mm primaries. Healthy mid range hp, dyno here: http://www.p1auto.com/jack/s2k/justinstockvheader.jpg ~$1100

thumbsup.gif Tracy Sports: tri-y design. Primary=45mm, Secondary=51mm, Collector=60mm ~$1200 Max gains of 8.5 hp @ 6000 rpm and 6.5 ft/ lbs @ 6800 rpm, with peak gains of 4 hp and 4.5 ft/ lbs at redline. Dyno comparison courtesy of ebeldesign here: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...age&img=389461

Comptech: 4-1 design. CARB legal. Manufacturer provided dyno comparison here: ]=http://www.comptechusa.com/store/media/dyno/s2kheader-comparison.pdf] ~$900

Megan: Tri-Y design. 2" primaries, 2.5" out. Manufactured claims of improved upper mid to peak. 12 lbs total weight. ~$400

Berk Technologies: Tri-y design. 50mm primaries. 11.5 lbs. total weight (11 lb weight savings). 6-7 hp gains peak in combination w/ test pipe. Dyno provided by smurfs2k05 here: Berk Dyno~$600

Rick's: tri-y design. maximum gain of six horsepower at 6200 RPM. Torque increases of about 3 or 4 were also achieved, along the same range as the horsepower gains. Like the Mugen header, horsepower with Rick
Old 09-24-2008, 05:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

once again thank you guys for all the info great help hopefully within a couple months i'll have info on the ti header for you guys, no promises though
Old 09-24-2008, 05:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

once again a sick ass post.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:25 AM

wildcard thanks for the information. I'll defenitly add your opening to this, along with a lot more info you just posted. mainly the sizing. I decided to leave pricing out because people can always find them for different prices, especially with all the group buys that happen all the time.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:51 AM

updated!
Old 09-24-2008, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks again hvrrz, i may be mistaken but i think tracy has two types of headers now or just replaced the old one, also may be the same with toda i'll do some searching to see if i can find what i'm talking about.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also J's (or maybe Toda) has a revised header in which they changed the secondary runner length for increase in torque.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by iDomN8U,Sep 24 2008, 10:37 AM
Also J's (or maybe Toda) has a revised header in which they changed the secondary runner length for increase in torque.
I believe it's toda. I'm trying to get some info on this as well