UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Tonneau Cover for S2000

Old 05-29-2002, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tonneau Cover for S2000

Does anyone make a tonneau cover for the S2000?

The US Forum talks about tonneau covers but they seem to be referring to sun covers (polycotton covers fitting under the wipers, covering the windscreen and the open cockpit, and fastened inside the boot with a security tab). Covercraft in the US make one (cost $59.95) so I shall probably get one of those - cheaper to replace than a slashed soft top - but they do not seem to be rainproof.

I realise that a proper MG type tonneau cover - covering just the cockpit with the drivers side zippable so you can drive with it on - would not stand up to VTEC speeds without disintegrating like a spinnaker in a force 10 wind (sorry, a sailing, not a motoring simile) but it would suit me fine for just poodling around Cambridge.
Old 05-29-2002, 02:28 AM

There has been quite a bit of talk in the past about designing a proper tonneau cover, I know Rick was involved in this but IIRC the problem lay in engineering a fixing method to hold it in place at the sides (i.e. near the windows) without having to add new fixing points to the doors.

The Covercraft one sounds interesting though, do you have a link to a website?

Thanks,

Tif
Old 05-29-2002, 02:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Tifosi Red

The Covercraft one sounds interesting though, do you have a link to a website?

Thanks,

Tif
This is a pretty good link (see 'Interior Car Covers') - I bought my Covercraft Weathersheild cover from these guys - good prices, but they dont ship outside the US.

http://www.autoanything.com/carcovers.asp

Ian
Old 05-29-2002, 02:45 AM

Thanks Ian. They look pretty good!
Old 05-29-2002, 04:01 AM

Hi, Tif. The US thread led to an e-bay auction site:

"Custom INTERIOR COVER - Honda S2000 Roadster
Item # 1832389348

Item located in: Parts & Accessories:Accessories

Starts at US $59.95
Buy It Now for US $59.95
This option disappears
once a bid is placed.
First bid US $59.95
Quantity 1 # of bids 0 (bid history)
Time left 5 days, 5 hours + Location The COVERCRAFT factory
Country United States
Started May-27-02 10:01:34 PDT (mail this auction to a friend)
Ends Jun-03-02 10:01:34 PDT Watch this item

Shipping Buyer pays actual shipping charges. Will ship to United States only.

Brand new, COVERCRAFT custom fit interior cover designed for use when the convertible top is down. Polycotton fabric, grey in color, protects the interior from dust, tree pollen, bird droppings, & damaging UV rays. Helps keep interior temperature down - covers front windshield. Held down by wiper blades in the front and includes an anti-theft tab that locks inside of the trunk. Custom patterned, manufactured model specific for a precise fit; applicable to all Honda S2000 Roadster vehicle models. Easily installed & removed, compact in size for easy storage.
Winning bidder prepays & $6.50 insured shipping added to the winning bid.
Stock of custom fit interior covers is limited, if not in stock at time of purchase, please allow approx 2 to 3 weeks for delivery.
COVERCRAFT car covers are also available for almost every make & model, with over 45,000 vehicle patterns!

COVERCRAFT is an OEM supplier, is the world's largest manufacturer of custom-patterned vehicle covers & has been in business since 1965!
TOLL FREE PHONE NUMBER 1-800-498-7882
Visa, MasterCard, & Discover payments can be accepted through PayPal & eBay's Billpoint payments. American Express can be accepted through PayPal."

You will see that they will only ship within the USA, but I shall phone them to see what shipping costs to UK would be. The illustration shows a similar shot to Ianl's post.
Old 05-29-2002, 06:33 AM

Cannot get through to Covercraft in US because there only quoted tel no is an 0800 freecall. I typed 'Covercraft' into the URL line and came up with Covercraft of Europe. Spoke to a very helpful character who knew what I was after but couldn't immediately find it in their product catalogue (telephone directory size because of the number of models). He has promised to come back to me with details and prices. He points out that the US parent company has such a big domestic market that they are just not interested in one-off export sales, in fact they are wholesalers rather than retailers and use E-bay auctions as an easy way of selling at list price to 'must haves'... The $59.95 cost in US will be much greater over here. I might have to wait until I go to Florida in Nov to buy one there. If Covercraft Europe come up with useful details I shall post it.
Old 05-30-2002, 08:07 AM

Covercraft Europe - Interior Covers

Peter Domhill of Covercraft Europe (o1207 384 25555) came back to me on the subject of tonneau covers/sun covers. He does not know of anyone making tonneau covers for the S2K. Fixing would require inserting clips/turnbuckles into the bodywork and this would invalidate the paintwork guarantee.

He can import suncovers (cockpit covers) from the US parent company- as described in my previous posting, and as illustrated in ianl's link - with a lead time of 10 days to 3.5 weeks. See also the US Covercraft webpage at www.covercraft.com. The standard US Polycotton he does not recommend for European conditions, he suggests their Technalon Evolution 4 (aka Blockit 400) which is showerproof (not rainproof).

The covers are not made for particular cars, only in three sizes - small, medium, and large. His 'bible' says the S2000 requires the large one.

Cost, including VAT and postage =
Old 07-02-2010, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tifosi Red,May 29 2002, 02:45 AM
Thanks Ian. They look pretty good!
Yeah right I must agree with you. I think it is really nice.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:12 AM

Received 243 Likes on 209 Posts

Wow that a thread revival.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:40 AM
B B

Originally Posted by Big Cat,May 29 2002, 01:39 AM
I realise that a proper MG type tonneau cover - covering just the cockpit with the drivers side zippable so you can drive with it on - would not stand up to VTEC speeds without disintegrating like a spinnaker in a force 10 wind (sorry, a sailing, not a motoring simile) but it would suit me fine for just poodling around Cambridge.
You could purchase such a cover as an approved Mazda accessory for the first editions of the Mazda MX-5 as I did.
You removed some tiny blanks where the windscreen met the cockpit coaming and screwed in some steel posts, to which the tonneau cover was fixed.
At the side windows and around the rear of the cockpit short sections of curved plastic sewn into the cover could be inserted into special mouldings integral with the door cappings and a moulding around the rear of the cockpit. The windows could be raised or lowered with the cover in place.
A zip allowed you to drive with the passenger area covered, ( having reclined the seat to its maximum thus allowing a smooth uniterupted finish devoid of headrest intrusion ). An MX-5 logo was moulded into the cover, and it was supplied in a protective bag.

It was fun and practical to use, because even in heavy rain you kept dry and of course so did the rest of the interior as it was covered. It was safe to park up thus as the car was effetively as well protected as if the hood was up.

In some 10 years of my ownership I never saw another MX-5 so equipped, it caused much comment at shows, and to this day I believe it is the only modern day sports car that could be equipped with a proper tonneau cover a sper the old sports cars of yesteryear. Probably the feature I most miss about my MX-5.

A hood cover was supplied with cars new, in Mazda speak a 'hood boot', a neat affair that covered the stowed hood and itself folded into a small bag.

Makes the clumsy attempt by Honda at a hood cover look pathetic for all their smugness about 'design' and 'engineering' and 'reliability'.