S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Lamin-X may have cracked my headlights

Old 11-05-2008, 11:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lamin-X may have cracked my headlights

I've had my lamin-x headlight film on for a few months. Within the last 2 weeks, i realized that something looked wrong and noticed tiny lines on the headlight. I contacted lamin-x and reported the issue. It turns out that nothing is wrong with the film and the headlight actually has tiny cracks running the span of the headlight. The pictures tell the story with what i'm left with

i searched S2ki's prevous posts and came up with no problems with lamin-x, however there was a problem with stonguard.

It is possible that the film may have shrank and caused the tiny cracks, there are only cracks on one headlight. Lamin-x advised me to pull the film off both lamps in order to stop any possible damage that may occur or start to occur. Lamin-x stance on the issue is that there may be other causes for the cracks, such as manufacturing defects, and i'm probably going to turn their back on this issue. They did mention that their product has caused cracks on other cars, such as the F150 and corvette, but this is their first issue with the S2000.

I'm pretty sure they're not going to do anything about it. Its pretty upsetting since i bought a product to protect my headlights and they may have actually caused damage to them. Its also upsetting since the car is only 6 months old and has 7500 miles. my new headlights are now flawed, something the lamin-x was supposed to protect against.

I can't say that lamin-x may cause damage to your headlights, but it happened to me
Old 11-05-2008, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow... Ive worked at shop that installed clear bra and head light film but NEVER seen that happen on any cars.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:05 PM

Oh man, that sucks. Sorry to hear about that man.

I'd continue to pursue this issue with Lamin-X...ask to speak to a manager (politely), and keep escalating it. Just because they've never heard of problems with the S2000 and their film doesn't automatically mean that their product is not at fault...there's a first time for everything!

Also, who installed the film? Did you DIY, or did you have it done someplace?
Old 11-05-2008, 01:10 PM

That's messed up.
One thing for sure is it's not a defect in the headlight or it would be all over the boards from other members.
I would say it's a chemical reaction activated or exagerated by heat caused those stress lines.
Did you install them yourself? Did the installer spray an ammonia cleaner or some other chemical base cleaner on the headlight before install?Wipe the headlight with a used rag that had brake cleaner or other harsh chemical?The adhesive would have trapped those chemicals and sunlight will cause a rapid reaction.
Only other thing I can think of is the laminex firm acted as a magnefier and overheated the plastic underneath.
Ask Laminex if they use 3M film.3M film goes under all types of test so I would trust it,anything else I wouldn't.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:17 PM

the install was a DIY

the instructions called for wiping down the headlights and using water as a lube for the film when it is applied to the headlights. i followed the insturctions to the dot and no other products were used.

the film was applied for several months before the cracks surfaced
Old 11-05-2008, 01:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take the stand that it is a factory defect and have them replaced under warranty. I also have very slight cracking on the corners of my '06 so it really could be a defect not caused by the Lamin-X.

Edit ... I just went outside and looked at the lenses again and I'm not really sure that they are really cracks as I always thought but rather striations produced during the molding process.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by JackS,Nov 5 2008, 02:39 PM
Take the stand that it is a factory defect and have them replaced under warranty. I also have very slight cracking on the corners of my '06 so it really could be a defect not caused by the Lamin-X.

Edit ... I just went outside and looked at the lenses again and I'm not really sure that they are really cracks as I always thought but rather striations produced during the molding process.
i'm in the process of having a tech look at it and possiblly having it replaced under warranty.

i understand that it might be a factory defect, since it is only one headlamp, but i think it is fair to inform other owners that the application of lamin-x could have been a contributing factor to the cracking. i do like their product, it is just unfortunate that this happened
Old 11-05-2008, 01:57 PM

its not your headlights, this has happend to me, and a lot of my friends. the film contains the heat which may cause cracking.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:06 PM

thanks for your input. the majority of the cracks is around the high beam area, and I have daytime running lights
Old 11-06-2008, 10:24 AM

basically lamin-x is saying good luck to me and aren't going to do anything about this issue.

caution. buyer beware, using lamin-x may cause cracks on your headlights

Quick Reply: Lamin-X may have cracked my headlights