S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Folding or collapsible spare tire?

Old 06-07-2009, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Folding or collapsible spare tire?

Ok, I am planning my stereo install. I want to put my two amps side by side. But my spare tire is in the way. I have read all the posts about people taking it out, but I live out side cell phone range to call for a tow. Anyway, my friends old 300zx had one. After some research I have found out the NSX uses them also. The lotus uses one too.

My hope is that the NSX folding spare will give me the extra room I need for the stereo amp rack. The NSX has high offsets like the s2000, so it should work. Now all I have to do is find one.

NSX spares deflated.

lotus spare deflated and inflated.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:42 PM

I haven't even looked at mine x.x.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:54 PM

cool idea.. but if it's deflated in the car, do you plan on carrying an elecrtrical pump in the car also?
Old 06-08-2009, 04:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how about you just get a can of fix-a-flat?
Old 06-08-2009, 08:43 AM

I have a small little air supply for my quads. It may use two little refills to fill the car spare. Fix-A-flat won't work if you bend a rim and it looses preasure. It has happened to me twice. (Potholes are MURDER in my area)

I have taken out all the carpet in the trunck and am fiber glassing a subwoofer in the bottom of the tool well. With a grill over the woofer there will still be room for a regular sized cooler with wheels.

The Square woofer I am using needs 1.25 cubic foot of air space in a sealed box. It is rated at 1800 watts. I have a 1700 rms amp I am going to hook to it. By using the tool well as part of the box it will save space. I am going to glass the whole bottom then add my sub board in at where the wall starts being flat. It should fit perfect.

I will take pics of the process.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:05 AM

Why not just try an "L" shaped vertical amp rack against the drivers side of the car in the trunk? So when you open the trunk, one would be looking at you and one would be faceing the passengers side of the car. If you DD the car, I wouldn't take the spare out if possible. I am thinking of making a custom tool tray to be able to mount my tools on the spare tire (since there is room in and above it) so I can get a sub in the rear well.

You could also look into smaller form factor amps to squeeze 2 on a vertical rack to the left of the spare tire.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) Mount the amps behind the driver/passenger seat. Unless you're 6'+ there's plenty of room

2) How is the NSX spare going to give you more room than the stock spare? Just because it's not inflated doesn't provide you anymore really usable space - and that's what we're looking for (just trying to save you time and money)

3) What are you going to do with your flat wheel/tire? In the stock configuration, a deflated stock wheel/tire (even an inflated one) will fit in the trunk with the tools moved from the bottom of the well. This will be a no-go with your subbox. So, you may be able to change the flat - but you won't be able to take the flat with you if you have a passenger (unless you make him/her sit on the side of the road while you drive the flat home...)
Old 06-08-2009, 10:17 AM

[QUOTE=Neutered Sputniks,Jun 8 2009, 09:55 AM] 1)
Old 06-08-2009, 11:00 AM
oth

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

What amps are you using? you may be able to put one over the gas tank,
and the other in the trunk to the left of the spare tire bulge.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:03 PM

I am using Power Acoustik STAX amps. They are both about 15 inches wide.
One is 150 RMS X 4 into 4 ohms, for the seperates. The other is 1700 RMS into 2 ohms for the sub. Should be enough power. I want to mount them vertically, they disperse heat better that way. I also won't install anything (in my car) that is not symetrical. Just my tastes.

I have 2guage wire and a 300amp powercell that will help the headlights not dim when the bass hits. I hope...

Quick Reply: Folding or collapsible spare tire?