S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Upgraded Ignition System Replacement On a Budget

Old 06-22-2009, 01:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up Upgraded Ignition System Replacement On a Budget

I am working of finishing up the development of a ignition system for any S2000 running an AEM or similar standalone. I am building this after reading stories of failed coils an many of the track cars which is generally attributed to heat buildup. In addition, and more importantly for me, those on high boost where the spark is blown out and the gap of the plugs needs to be tightened to run properly. The common work around it to purchase the coils from an RSX which seem to be more reliable and an upgrade for Ap1's and older AP2's. I have a few items left to develop before I start having parts made. That being said with the economy of scale if there are others interested I can make some extra parts and hopefully give you and I the opportunity build your own ignition system at a discount. Below are the parts that you will need except for coils which I will give you information on obtaining at a local parts store or can pickup if you don't have access. In addition if you need help I can supply you with the basic info on the configuration.

My current budget is $200 with coils and without the PNP harness and bracket has been beat by $50.

BOM
(4) Ignition Coils
(1) PNP Wiring Harness
(4) Custom Length Plug Wires W/ Valve Cover Seals
(1) Coil Mounting Bracket

I apologize that I cannot tell you any details now b/c Evans and others are developing the same type of upgrade and I do not want to take business from them. I had planned on buying a kit from Evans but they are still not available and I have yet to learn better patients. I can tell you that the system has been proven by thousands before me and all the parts are used are OEM short of the custom length wires. When the system is up and running we will hopefully have some dyno graphs but I am confident this system should be good for 30+ PSI and 10,000 RPM without breaking up. Also, many of you with plugs that have a very small plug gap there have been many reports of a much smoother idle and part throttle when returning to the factory gap.

*Edit*

These were my inpiration for the build

Old 06-22-2009, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Evans will be releasing the kit very shortly. He wanted to make sure it would last. I have been running his setup on my car now at 550whp for about 6k miles and i have not encountered so much as a hiccup. I will give him a heads up that people are waiting for it to be released as i know he is already planning on doing it VERY shortly. I cant be happier with how well my car runs partial throttle and WOT. Its simply unreal.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of horsepower are you planning on making?

Fernando
Old 06-22-2009, 08:27 PM

Subscribed
Old 06-22-2009, 09:21 PM

Subscribed.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:44 AM

didn inline make 8xx on stock coils>
Old 06-23-2009, 05:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GDM S2K,Jun 23 2009, 03:44 AM
didn inline make 8xx on stock coils>
Yep, on the RSX coils and so did several others but the key is drivability and reliability on a budget. The RSX coils are $82 shiped new or $328 for the set. My proposed system is half the cost. I have the pigtails and coils now for (2) cars and I have spent only $200.

(4) Coils---------------$20-$30
(1) Set of pigtails-----$20-$30
(1) Set of Wires-------$30-$75
(1) Mounting Bracket-$10-$15
====================
Total--------------------$140-$240
Old 06-23-2009, 05:50 AM

thats crazy that it is hit or miss on the coils for some people. i havent seen a single issue.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:24 AM

Do you guys think the Aem Ems could also be a reason the coil packs go bad? Maybe it's not able to handle the demand needed to properly drive the ignition.

Side note, I had my aem ems fixed by aem because of no ignition spark. They said the ignition drive unit was bad. It worked fine when I last drove the car but didn't work a year later when I tried to run the car for the first time.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by kutsujula,Jun 23 2009, 05:50 AM
thats crazy that it is hit or miss on the coils for some people. i havent seen a single issue.
i had a bad set of coils. so i bought another set and its starting to missfire again this mod will give me peace of mind if anything

Quick Reply: Upgraded Ignition System Replacement On a Budget