S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

s2000 with iVTEC

Old 07-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s2000 with iVTEC

i was just curious if anyone has an s2000 with iVTEC? head swap, motor swap or whatever. it seems like it would be such a valuable thing to put on an S2000 for road racing or even cruising around the street. sorry to ask if this has been posted before but i'm just curious if anyone has it on an S2000?
Old 07-03-2009, 07:00 PM

I would really like to have it but I have not heard of anyone doing it yet. A K24 with an iVTEC head would be really sweet in a S2000. I don't know how similar the heads are but I can imagine that swapping in a K-series block would not be an easy task.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:16 PM

i know the k series bottoms can take an f20/22 head fairly easily... i dont think itll go the other way around tho.

im assuming someone woulda jumped on that if it was worth it because this is a topic that comes up often
Old 07-04-2009, 09:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's almost impossible to do without making major changes to the motor. The issue is that the F has an idler gear that spins the cams instead of on the K where the cams are driven directly. Therefore there is really no room in an F to put a system in -- not to mention the K system would be completely incompatible.

They did it that way for a reason because having the idler gear in the middle is better for reliability at high RPMs like in a race situation whereas the VTC system is really not that useful on a track because you only use a narrow part of the powerband during a race.

HKS makes aftermarket VTC systems for a number of cars, most notably the R34 Skyline, but that car uses a similar system to the K to spin the cams and there is much more room for the system.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LostMotion,Jul 4 2009, 09:04 AM
It's almost impossible to do without making major changes to the motor. The issue is that the F has an idler gear that spins the cams instead of on the K where the cams are driven directly. Therefore there is really no room in an F to put a system in -- not to mention the K system would be completely incompatible.

They did it that way for a reason because having the idler gear in the middle is better for reliability at high RPMs like in a race situation whereas the VTC system is really not that useful on a track because you only use a narrow part of the powerband during a race.

HKS makes aftermarket VTC systems for a number of cars, most notably the R34 Skyline, but that car uses a similar system to the K to spin the cams and there is much more room for the system.
i hear you on a lot of what you are saying but I can also see the value in VTC for road racing especially on exit of a turn. it's not so much the horsepower as it is the flat torque curve. a matter of fact that goes for a street car as well. You are right though it would be hard to convert iVTEC on an s2k but it is something that is worth the cost. well... assuming you are under a few $K$ to convert it. haha I've seen plenty of chain driven cams run into the 9000 so i don't think that is the issue but i will say thing, the way the s2k cam sprockets are designed is genius! so i take it no one has an s2000 with iVTEC?
Old 07-04-2009, 11:37 AM

correct me if i'm wrong, but i really dont think you can put in f-head on a k20 or k24, you cant even put certain k-series heads on a k24 either, i.e you cant put a k20a3 head on top of a k24a4, clearence issues wont allow. only a k20a2 head or you need new pistons in the k24.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:58 PM

S2000s have iVTEC. Just not from factory.

Header + Tune + VTEC at 4200 RPM = iVTEC
Old 07-04-2009, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by ABCVTEC,Jul 4 2009, 07:58 PM
S2000s have iVTEC. Just not from factory.

Header + Tune + VTEC at 4200 RPM = iVTEC
Yeah having the VTEC engagement point lowered really helps but iVTEC is a much more adjustable animal. You can adjust cam timing for a lot of situations. Too bad it was developed in the generation after the F2XC was created.

I will agree though that the gear driven cam setup on the S2000 is amazing and superior to most other designs.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CarbonYellowJ's,Jul 4 2009, 08:03 PM
Yeah having the VTEC engagement point lowered really helps but iVTEC is a much more adjustable animal. You can adjust cam timing for a lot of situations. Too bad it was developed in the generation after the F2XC was created.

I will agree though that the gear driven cam setup on the S2000 is amazing and superior to most other designs.
i agree, lowering the VTEC will help in the low to mid range. but the vtc cam sprocket is a whole different world of power. my way of explaining it is like this, you can jump the factory intake cam sprocket a full tooth advanced and it will make bottom end power but the problem becomes the car not being able to idle. with VTC you don't lose the car's idle and it's like jumping the intake cam sprocket two teeth (20-25 degrees adv) to help the bottom to mid range tq and hp. vtc would make a ton of power whether it's NA or turbo. it seems like you have to spend so much money just to get single digit horsepower out of an NA engine yet VTC could make double digits no problem at all. just my thoughts.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:36 PM

Oh jeez I just realized you're Gary from Design Craft. Well if anyone can it should be you VTC for sure would be an advantage, I just think nobody on here has tried it yet because most people aren't full on road racers and this would be something that would involve a lot of custom work, time, and money.

I think the easiest way to make this work would be to get a K20 head on the F20 block. If there was a way to modify the F20 head to use the VTC system that would be nice but due to things lining up and space I just don't see it possible.

I know there is a build out there with a H22 block and K20 head, and given the similarities between the F20 and H22 block it should be possible. Using a modified K timing chain (I believe the K deck height is taller), crankshaft, and k20 head it should be possible.

Some of my random thoughts:

- This wouldn't be worth it unless you made a custom intake manifold or could get the S2000 IM to bolt onto the K head.

- You would want head work and larger valves in the K head as they are smaller than the F20 head

- A lot more aftermarket cam choices with the K series head

- Would want to use the K20A head as it has 3 cam lobes on intake and exhaust.

- The K series and F series head gasket are the same part number

If you wanna assemble my F24C block you can borrow it for research LOL

Quick Reply: s2000 with iVTEC