S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Front AND Rear pillar damage, opinion/assessment

Old 07-11-2009, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front AND Rear pillar damage, opinion/assessment

I have found an ap1 that i would like to buy, after carfaxing the vin it showed up with an acident reported in 03 (car is MY01). The details of the accident were front and rear pillar damage. the carfax showed that the shop that reported to carfax stated no frame/structual damages, no airbags deployed and the car was not totalled. The car is very clean (seeing it soon) and shocked me (thank god for carfax) and this has startled me a lot. This is why i'd like the s2ki communitys opinion/help.

I have a friend who was in an accident (ap2 MY06), T boned (someone blew a red light on him). The whole drivers side was mashed (i can only imagine including the front pillar). Unfortunatly i havent spoken to him alot about it but he said the damages costed ALOT. He said he was suprised that insurance did not total loss the car (maybe it being a lease has to do with it)

A good friend of mine who has body work expirence said that damage to the front and/or rear pillars can be enough to total loss the car. As well as there should be frame damage in with it. The car should not drive straight again after that kind of damage has been suffered.

These are all confusing me, how can the front AND rear pillar be hit, maybe a hit after a hit? I am going to try to get details from the body shop that did the work on the car when it was hit however i dont know if I will have luck since this happened 6 years ago and i am not the current owner of the car (perhaps ic an ask the seller of the car to do so?). This accident occured with the first owner of the car, not the current one.

If anyone can chime in (s2k body experts or anyone) with any help or opinions it will be much appriciated.

I guess the only real way to tell is to drive the car, we shall see.

thank you agian, PEACE
Old 07-11-2009, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You said, "The details of the accident were front and rear pillar damage."

What is the rear pillar of a convertible? It's not a term I'm familiar with.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:01 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Unless you are getting a great deal on it I would stay clear. Even if you are getting a great deal on it I would check all of the body panels to assure they align perfect, and look under the car for any signs of residual frame damage or frame repair. Also see if the owner will allow you to take it to an alignment shop to have the alignment checked, if it is off he should pay to have it corrected, if the shop cannot align it then pass on it for sure. Just my $.02
Old 07-11-2009, 09:41 PM

rear pillar....... damage to something the car doesn't even have? Or repairs done by a shop that doesn't know the name of components. i would stay clear of this one.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:53 PM

everyones opinions are much apreciated

rear pillar was in the report, i am definitly gonna check out under the car, getting it to a shop will be a hassle since it is not that local.

thank you all very much, please keep the suggestions coming

the car has been on the road for a while since the said accident, a lot to think about

thank you all very much, the more suggestions the better =)
Old 07-11-2009, 09:57 PM

Well, the car was repaired 6 years ago. How many miles are on the car? How solid does it feel? Are the panels on the car aligned properly?

Considering the car was repaired so long ago and the current owner has kept it all this time tells me the car was repaired properly and runs well. I would not look away if you are happy with the price.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

rear pillar
Old 07-12-2009, 04:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would seem to me that if the top alines and fits correctly, pillar damage would be of little concern and was expertly fixed. Focus your concerns on the rest of the car. If all checks out and is in excellent condition, buy the car at a reduced price that reflects the previous damage.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:05 AM

^^That is waht i was thinking however you can never be too sure.

I am going to set up an official date with the seller tomarrow and will definitly check all those out, would it be too much to ask him to jack the car up lol, i do not have a shop that it can use at his location, like i said he is not exactly that local.

Anything else i should check:

-doors closinng properly (problem my friend's ap2 has)
-panels alligned
-Top closes and opens properly

i will add the the owner of the car after the accident (not the current) had the car inspected, suspenion, frame ect and it passed.

Again, cant be too sure, we will see when i see that car!

any more opions are welcomed!!

Thanks, PEACE