S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Private Label Header Test + Dyno...

Old 12-14-2009, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S2K,Dec 13 2009, 12:31 AM
manolo.cabasal - I can't really tell if its raspy or not from your video since the sound of the header is drowned out by the Tsudo. I installed my PLM, and it's difficult to describe, but I'm getting a hissing/crackling, raspy sound between 3K and about 5K RPM. I was wondering if this is normal? The installation went fairly smooth, but the fitment was a little loose between the header and TP even with the OEM donut. I don't think this would matter since the spring bolts were torqued down and I don't believe there are any leaks. Any pointers?
I had a noise in the same rev window. If you rev while lying under the car you'll probably find a vibration coming from between your header>cat(tp) connection. I used 3/4" spacers to increase spring tension. It eliminated my issues 100%.

It looks like I missed quite a debate here. Fwiw, I like both sides of this argument. I agree that testing this header with a otherwise factory exhaust proves very little. I think the best way to compare apples to apples would be to test headers with the same accompanying tp/hfc & exhaust. Otherwise I think a lot of the high-end header guys would be crying in their beer...
Old 12-15-2009, 08:08 AM

Drew - I'll give that a try. I know you mentioned this solution on an earlier post, but I wasn't sure if you we were talking about the same thing.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Chris S2K,Dec 15 2009, 12:08 PM
Drew - I'll give that a try. I know you mentioned this solution on an earlier post, but I wasn't sure if you we were talking about the same thing.
Actually hold off a few days. I've got a solution (v2.0) that I'm going to install this weekend. I hope it will resolve things just as nicely.

I had to use a spring compressor to get those damn 3/4" thick nuts in there last time, so I'm going for a safer/less rigged/more tool-friendly solution. I'm having the emissions test done tomorrow so the cat is going back on tonight.

Test and results to follow.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:12 PM

Any updates? I stored my car away for the winter, so there's no rush - just curious.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Chris S2K,Dec 30 2009, 04:12 PM
Any updates? I stored my car away for the winter, so there's no rush - just curious.
Nah, sorry, I've been busy with winter projects and the holidays. I'm finishing the last woodworking project tonight so I should reinstall my TP this weekend. Should be a fairly quick/easy fix w a few bolts/washers to increase the spring clamping force. I'll be sure to post pics and details.

ALSO, I'm switching over to an OEM donut gasket

I found a LOT of gasket leakage when removing the TP for emissions testing. I spoke to Kenny @ PLM and he is working on finding the root problem with their gasket. Here is a pic of the leakage. You can see that it was blowing out both sides of the connection. There was no noticeable build-up on the car itself. (Clicky to see larger view.)

Also, a pic of the header after several thousand miles of use:

Old 12-30-2009, 10:34 PM

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but i've lost 10hp . here's my setup :

built brian crower 2.47L
aem v2
science of speed 70mm->64mm throttle body
private label header- hpc thermal coated.
63mm berk test pipe
greddy titanium 63mm exhaust
emanage ultimate computer

before anyone bad mouths my dyno numbers, keep into perspective , in australia a stock s2000 dyno's ~ 130kw = 174hp atw on a dyno dynamics in shoot out mode (seen on multiple dynos on dyno days )

my car made 239 hp with stock header , and stock throttle body.
when i added the private label header and the science of speed throttle body and got it tuned: it only made 229hp... ! i lost 10hp up the top end and had minimal 1hp gains down low.

and yes i also found that with the supplied donut and berk test pipe combo it has a exhaust leak. fixed the leak up but still was down 10hp.

borrowed my friends t1r 70mm exhaust and t1r 70mm test pipe and will retune next week to see the result whether the exhaust is holding up my power. hoping that i will see a increase in hp with this setup. if not i'm goin back to stock header and stock throttle body.

fingers crossed
Old 12-31-2009, 12:27 AM

^I am not going to bad mouth your dyno, but isn't it the hot season in Australia right now?

What were the conditions in which you did your first dyno?

The most fair comparison is the same car dynoed back-to-back with only the header changed.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:37 AM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by manuelisfun,Dec 31 2009, 01:27 AM
^I am not going to bad mouth your dyno, but isn't it the hot season in Australia right now?

What were the conditions in which you did your first dyno?

The most fair comparison is the same car dynoed back-to-back with only the header changed.
agree 101% plus a retune is essential.

and besides..."a dyno is only a tuning tool"
Old 12-31-2009, 01:24 AM

the conditions were no different to the previous dynos that i have had.

i've had my car tuned and tested throughout the year and it has always made 239hp regardless of weather when tuned. now with the same tuner and same dyno it has made 10hp less consistently.

my tuner tried changing all different parameters to the emu but it just wouldnt make any more than 229hp atw.

he felt that my 63mm exhaust might be the reason thats holding me back, so now i've borrowed my friend's t1r 70mm exhaust and t1r 70mm test pipe. and will get it retuned and checked again next wk.

like i said b4 , all the stock s2000 in australia will dyno around the 130rwkw mark (~174rw hp ) on a dyno dynamics in shoot out mode unless the dyno is a very happy one. compared to a stock s2k ~the 200-220 hp mark in the US.

even a bolt on greddy turbo kit on here only makes around the 180-190rwkw mark which is only around 250 hp compared to about the 280hp mark in US from what i have seen on a dyno dynamics . so at least there is a consistent ~10% difference.

so i am pretty sure that we dyno ~10% less than u guys for some strange reason.
given that most 2.4L strokers in the states dyno ~260hp. if i'm at around the 240hp mark thats about right.

but the fact that i've lost 10hp is quite significant on the same dyno & tuner.
only this exhaust test will tell the truth imo

failing that test it would be back to the stock header and stock throttle body and see the result again.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:38 AM

IMO I'd say 10whp up and especially down would be a major swing for such a minor modification. I'm curious as to whether there are other underlying causes there like loss of compression since last dyno, etc.

Keep us updated.

Quick Reply: Private Label Header Test + Dyno...