S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Private Label Header Test + Dyno...

Old 01-06-2010, 02:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Neutered Sputniks,Jan 6 2010, 01:07 PM
FTR, I have the new FF header...
When is the projected release date to public?
Old 01-06-2010, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drewmob,Jan 6 2010, 05:41 PM
Oh no, I actually saw it and had the chance to be the 1st respondent. Luckily I took it upon myself to stay as far away from that post as possible. Otherwise I'd have had a stroke by now...

IMHO it is the biggest fail thread I've ever seen on this site. It cracks me up that people think that somehow JDM manufacturers turmoil over how to make a header and run complex flow algorithms over how to make an exhaust flow...

Ah, Kinetic's header. Yeah, I've seen it and it seems nice. I'd throw my support behind that one as well. Have they come out with a price point yet? Looks they they made the first production unit yesterday, so do you have a prototype?
Yeah...I was a little put off by that thread. Quite a few inaccuracies posted up in the OP (a number of which I pointed out in the thread )

I actually have both the V.3 and V.4 prototypes .

I won't say what I paid for each as I don't know what price point they're looking to be at, but I will say I expect it to be more than the PLM but under the $1k mark (but that's, again, pure speculation).

Rumor in the AZ thread on the header is they're taking orders
Old 01-06-2010, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am installing the first production Fast Forward header in about....15 mins

I will announce pricing after I have set up my sponsorship deal with S2ki.com

I would have results already for the production version except we spent the day testing cats/test pipes and headers on a Supercharged s2000........
Old 01-06-2010, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by fireball,Jan 6 2010, 05:35 AM
hey when i'm paying one of the best dyno tuning guys around $200/hr i cant afford to do what u guys are proposing. not unless the s2ki community chips in.. but we saw what happened there... the s2ki community bagged the person who started this thread ! hey not to mention the labour to do the above.

what it does tell us is that just whacking the PL header+SOS throttle body on a car with a 63mm test pipe and 63mm exhaust is worst off at the top end losing 10hp but gains almost that in the midrange. so in essence it does have gains.. just that we dont know how much gain is due to throttle body or header. i'm omre inclined to think header than t/body tho.

so in summary to get the best out of an N/A u need all the mods not just 1 mod and hope for the best but header, t/body, 70mm tp, 70mm exhaust and a computer to tune it.

oh and the reason y aust dyno dynamics reads ~11% lower than the US d/dynamics is related to the correction factor used. so i'm guessing that if i dynoed in the US it would make around 278rwhp

racingminds: its a pity i never met u cos h9krpm is a friend of mine.will have to msg u when i goto singapore. was looking around last year when i was there .only saw i s2000 on the road.went to the hks shop and saw a rather modified s2000 there
Yeah dyno testing and tuning is labour intensive and it's not cheap to do various kinds of testing as an individual. At $200/hr I wouldn't bother to test all the various setups myself too!

At the end of the day, each and every of these bolt-on parts are supporting parts. Even if 1 part is proven to make power individually, it might not match up well with another that does. The overall setup at the end of the day is wot matters. It would be a plus for owners who are not looking to tune their cars or just want to mate the headers to a stock exhaust, but honestly most wouldn't stay with a stock exhaust IMO. And if they did, they wouldn't buy an aftermarket header. The catback should go earlier than the header. Finding out the gains from each and every setup would be impossible anyway. Dead numbers dun mean much too without looking at the area under the curve, torque figures etc. I have to agree that quite a portion of gains should have come from just the catback exhaust system.

We have a K24 Civic Type R that reads 255whp on our AWD1500 so the numbers do roughly tally up with the generally lower readings. The guys at mainline said average of the s2ks in aussie that haven't had much stuff done all read below 200whp. So far we have found that without engine work, without ITBs or without ecu, hardly any K20/F20/F22 sees above 200whp on the AWD1500. It's like a magic mark to break for vtecs.

fireball: Icic...how's h9krpm? Send my regards to him~ Haven't spoken to him fer a long time since I'm seldom on msn these days. Really enjoyed the days back in Aussie manz. Damn cars are so much cheaper there! Funny enough that both he and I chose the same 2 cars to buy. Our R32 had very similiar setups too...LoL~~Yeah give me a buzz if u r ever in Singapore again. Let me know when u're coming and I'll pass u my number. Not many s2ks in Singapore on the road, total community of s2ks here doesn't exceed 80 if I'm not wrong. That car is the actual J's Racing S2K from Japan. It was in Singapore for an event and the workshop that u visited has been building a timeattack S2K for Sepang Circuit for quite sometime. I believe the J's Racing S2K didn't sit there for so many months for nothing, if u get wot I mean.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:18 PM

Whoa! $850 for the FF. It is nice, but I'll pass...

So the rattling from the header/tp has been proven to be eliminated. I had a few bolts left over from my Subaru's transmission swap which fit perfectly. Sorry, didn't measure dimensions. Basically you'll need 2 bolts, 2 washers, and 2 nuts. Reuse the springs. The only special instruction I'd give is to tighten to the point that the springs are 95% compressed. This is visible in the pictures.

Here are a few pics of the bolts installed:

I'd guess this combined with the OEM donut gasket should fix the leak, but we shall see.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:33 AM

^ hm, if that's what you have to do to stop the leak, I will probably swap the header out for something else or just deal with the leak. that is the only flex joint in the entire exhaust and it means all the forces of the exhaust get transmitted to the header... and considering the header does away with one of the mounts, I don't think this is a good idea.

I think the shape of the mating surface on the PLM header is not optimal. Mine doesn't leak that badly anymore, but it's not perfect. I will probably take mine off and sell it and get a different header.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:44 PM

To each their own. I've driven for about 100 miles with it like this and have no complaints. I've seen several turbo setups lately with v-band connections and no flex joints, so I don't think what I'm doing could be that bad... Besides, there is still a little room for flex.

The removal of the mounting point is pretty common across the board. You could always try new springs or only the OEM donut without increasing tension... Better ideas are definitely welcome.

I tend to agree on the mating surface. It seems like it may be off between 1/8-1/16" over the height of the surface. Hardly noticeable to the naked eye until everything is bolted together.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:11 PM

So what's the consensus on this header? I have one coming tomorrow but I'm having 2nd thoughts on installing it due to other members mentioning leaks, vibration, and rasp.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:19 PM

I dont have any of the things you mentioned... It had a leak but I fixed it.

heres a quick video of my car. No rasp.[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBCLYQwR0KU [/media]
Old 04-04-2010, 06:37 PM

Sounds good myslow1. So how did you fix the leak?

Quick Reply: Private Label Header Test + Dyno...