UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Thinking of buying an Alpine IDAX*** Head Unit?

Old 02-09-2010, 02:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying an Alpine IDAX*** Head Unit?

I'm mid-way through my ICE install and just wanted to give you guys a heads up on the latest range of 'Media Receivers' from Alpine.

After doing my research towards the back end of last year, I decided to get one of Alpine's IDA X series. The theory behind it was to fit the head unit and connect a hard drive containing all of my music collection to said unit, then secure it under the passenger seat and forget about it.

Because I'm going for a full install with 2 rear speakers and a sub in the boot, I wanted a decent spec head unit but didn't want to break the bank. I'm going to be running JL Audio Evo's throughout and therefore couldn't justify the price of the 313/ 315 so opted for the 311RR.

I used caraudiodirect and got great service, the gear arrived the next day and I ploughed on with fitting the head unit. I connected my hard drive (500Gb), power to the hard drive, USB Error on head unit.

Consulted documentation that came with the head unit - Cr*p.
Checked online support with Alipne - Cr*P.

Got my answer from an ICE forum, hard drive needs to be reformatted to FAT 32.

8 Hours later hard drive now FAT 32, music back on it.

Connected hard drive, head unit only recognises random folders and random tracks

iPod connection works fine BTW, but thats not why I bought the unit.

I spoke to Alpine and was told that the hard drive was too large. The IDA-X series can only read 120Gb drives.

Purchased 120Gb drive, FAT 32 formatted, music on, still no joy.

Another call to Alpine, told that the head unit will only recognise 10,000 songs or 1000 folders

Removed a shed load of music, total folders on the drive now in the region of 700. Still no joy

Another call to Alpine! I was told that the head unit isn't faulty but I should stick to playing my iPod or a small USB Flash drive (up to 4Gb).

Poor customer service, poor product. The head unit doesn't even have a pre-set graphics EQ!!

Anyway, rant over. I just to warn anyone who had the same idea as me and carry their music collection with them on the move. It will not work with the X311, X313 or X315. I bought an Alpine unit against my better judgment and I certainly won't be buying one again.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:11 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

They work extremely well with an iPod though, so if you're using that approach, then certainly go for it.

If you want EQ etc, you do have to pay the extra for the Imprint kit. this is common to nearly all Alpine Head units these days. The unit does have a basic 2 band EQ in that you can adjust the Bass and Treble Centre Frequencies and their width (Page 20 of the manual)

Page 14 of the manual reveals that only 10,000 songs can be accessed. Are your songs DRM protected in any way? This may cause a problem.

Page 19 of the manual says a disk has to be FAT32 formatted.

The manual is here http://www.alpine-electronics.co.uk/filead...A-X311RR_EN.pdf

If you need any further help with the setup, ask away.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:14 AM

I originally wanted to use my idax100 with a HD, found that the usb connection didnt have enough power to start up the HD without a seperate connection (this Lacie HD does work USB only powered on the PC).

Also tried with my iphone 3G, worked but very very slow seeking. Earlier versions of the iphone frimware didnt work on it at all.

In the end I picked up a cheap 2nd hand ipod nano from CEX, 8gb. Its seek time is very fast and artwork shows up nicely. I'm happy but would be happier if I had a HD in there too.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:19 AM

I use mine with an Ipod Nano and find it very quick and effective!

Old 02-09-2010, 03:26 AM

The iPod control works fine but Alpine have basically made the head unit for iPods only. It's advertised as a plug and play USB media receiver. Unfortunately, it aint.

As for imprint, the benifits in a convertible are negligible and it's for high end setups to tweak the sound completely. Much in the same way that home cinema amps now come with a mic to get the best possible soundstage.

The lack of a basic factory EQ is poor. I listen to Rock, Dubstep, Drum & Base and Indie music, each type needs a different sound setting.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use my 3gs iPhone with Ida-x100 and it's been faultless.

Never tried the HD approach though as I have all my sings and audiobooks on the iPhone.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:40 AM

you need to make sure you have the right cable - and also if using a usb stick the music is stored in folders correctly , it tells you in the manual how to do it .
Old 02-09-2010, 03:45 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

The Imprint is stunning, I have it on my 9887R. It really is night and day different, even on an HU that has manual time alignment and a proper EQ.

The Imprint kit also gives you the full "Manual" EQ and time alignment. It is a bit poor not to include it I agree. Still, I'm surprised you bought the HU knowing it didn't have EQ etc?

I've had a read around talkaudio and it seems the problem is one of power supply to the HDD. 500Gb is way too much, esentially. Other manufacturers have limits, JVC at 5,000 songs, for example. Even with 700 folders, do you still have more than 10,000 songs, that's likely to be another possible cause.

This is a good thread http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=312811
Old 02-09-2010, 03:48 AM

Just to clarify the situation:

I read and re-read the manual. Total songs are less than 9500. I've actually tried with 500 albums so <7000 songs. All music folders are 'on top' with no subfolders. I've even removed all album artwork. The way that the software 'banks' the tracks in groups of 1000 is retarded.

My initial post was as a word of warning for anyone who was under the impression that you can plug in any mass USB storage device to play music, not a request for advice.

I've had to resort to using an iPod and even then I get 'searching' for about 5 minutes when I start up occasionally.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova,Feb 9 2010, 04:45 AM
The Imprint is stunning, I have it on my 9887R. It really is night and day different, even on an HU that has manual time alignment and a proper EQ.

The Imprint kit also gives you the full "Manual" EQ and time alignment. It is a bit poor not to include it I agree. Still, I'm surprised you bought the HU knowing it didn't have EQ etc?

I've had a read around talkaudio and it seems the problem is one of power supply to the HDD. 500Gb is way too much, esentially. Other manufacturers have limits, JVC at 5,000 songs, for example. Even with 700 folders, do you still have more than 10,000 songs, that's likely to be another possible cause.

This is a good thread http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=312811
I thought I was clear that the HU powered the 500Gb drive fine. I've also tried a 120Gb drive which it powers fine; the problem is that the software is broken. It won't read folders and files properly.

Seeing as it's 2010 and not 1990 you'll have to forgive me for assuming that a modern HU would come with preset EQ's. And I know all this is in the manual but do you really expect me to believe that the first thing you do before buying a HU is to download the manual from the manufacturers’ website?

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying an Alpine IDAX*** Head Unit?