S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

GTR vs Turbo S2k

Old 02-14-2010, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTR vs Turbo S2k

It was about 12:30am Thursday night. I was heading home from our biweekly S2000 Starbucks meet. Streets were clear. The air is nice and crisp at about 50 degrees. As soon as I see the on ramp to the freeway coming up (btw, I broke my eyeglasses 2 weeks prior ) I saw opportunity to practice my heel-toe. I downshifted into 2nd and proceeded eastbound into highway 118.

The highway was quiet and wide open. I took this chance to open the throttle and lit up my “shift” light on my Dashdaq monitor. Since my Potenza RE070’s are still cold, it got a little squirrelly at peak torque. Instantly hitting ~ 60mph, I shift at ~ 8000rpms into 3rd gear and released a loud PSSHT!

I systematically rowed through the gears and now cruising at about 70mph. It was dark. The only illumination was from my 4300 Kelvin rated HID headlights and the yellow dim highway lights from above. It didn’t help my uncorrected vision.

I’m in the middle of 5 lanes. I see bouncing headlights in my rear view mirror. He wasn’t speeding so I paid no attention. Probably another lonely soul trying to make it home. The car was black so I couldn’t make out what it was. It crept up at a steady pace and was side by side with me. I looked over and noticed the nice mild exhaust note.

As soon as the rear of the dark car revealed itself, I noticed the familiar design of the brake lights…
A GTR! This was maybe only the 3rd time I’ve seen this coveted beast on the road!

I felt my heart dropped as if I just won the lottery. I thought, “what luck!” This is my chance to weigh my Full Race Turbo’d S2000 against the highly celebrated Nissan GTR!

I quickly downshifted to 5th gear and slowly (as to not show my eagerness) reeled him/her it in until I was side by side. It noticed me and I saw it’s nose dip slightly from downshifting-- showing interest.

I kept my eyes straight and anteed up by downshifting into 4th gear. My horn stopped working the same time I lost my glasses so I was waiting for the “3 honk” etiquette. Instead, I hear the roar of the exhaust mixed with turbine bells and whistles.

It’s time! So I floored it! I waited in boost purgatory for about half a second. While I listen to my boost cutout praying for me, I get hit by a sledge hammer made of 390lbs of torque! With my white knuckled grip, I passed the Black Beast with little effort.

“Maybe my rolling launch was premature, was it even really trying?” I conversed internally. So I eased into my brakes to let him to catch up.

We line up again. This time, a little slower. I rev-matched into 3rd gear with a nervous flick of the shifter. This time I wanted to make sure it knew I was serious, so I blipped the throttle to provoke the Creature.

All of a sudden it takes off!! My foot reacts and the short walk ends. The tables turn and I’m in front again. This time I put the nail in the coffin with bus 2-3 lengths… Feeling ecstatic I slow down so I can conclude with a friendly wave. I’m feeling pretty awesome right now! I can make out a male driver when he came to my side. I turn on the driver’s map light and give a respectful, almost thankful wave.

He drove ahead as we both go back to cruise. My joy turns into bland confusion as I saw this TURN INTO THIS:

I...n e e d...n e w...g l a s s e s.

My apologies.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you F______

hahha, that was awesome, hahahah

Was it seriously a cobalt?
Old 02-14-2010, 04:18 PM

Wow... All the way through the post I was thinking "Damn, what does this guy have in his S2000 that can put a GTR behind him by bus lengths..." And then I read the ending... Very disappointed
Old 02-14-2010, 04:29 PM

LOL! Good story.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:45 PM

good story... lol
Old 02-14-2010, 05:46 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

thanks a lot jerk!
Old 02-14-2010, 05:47 PM

Yes, that made me LOL. Good one.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:49 PM

Old 02-14-2010, 07:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When you started talking about 2-3 bus lengths on a GTR my computer starting producing the faint odor of bull sh..
Old 02-14-2010, 07:29 PM

what a punk. i was totally buying it

Quick Reply: GTR vs Turbo S2k