San Diego S2000 Owners San Diego and Imperial County S2000 Owners Community meets, events and discussions.

***OFFICIAL*** San Diego Mechanic/Body Shop Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Top Replacement

Hey all!
I see everything on this awesome list except who you trust in SD to replace your top or do work to it. Pretty bad experience last time I replaced it... I had the original vinyl top on my 2001 replaced in 2014. Guy put on the wrong top (even though I called Robbins and got the exact number of the top I wanted) and the back window popped and shattered 6 mths later. Insurance covered it and who was the recommended vendor for replacement? Same guy! Called around and none of the recommended shops had experience with the S2K. Since insurance guarantees the work I gave it another shot. Bad idea... took 2 rounds and a tiny tear in my passenger seat for him to get it right - oh yah, and he tore up the rubber seal around the drivers window citing "it was old and crumbly". No... no, it wasn't. Here I am 5 years later and oh, hey... the window has separated from the top! He replaced the window it came with with another and assured me it was done to spec - apparently not. I can't do anything about that now but I believe I've read you can have a window glued back in? Insurance will cover again since they guarantee the work as long as I own the car, but I want to be sure I get the right person this time. If insurance offers a replacement I want it done right. I also need the locks replaced - pretty worn out and the left one is being held together with a rubber hair tie. Whaaaaatttt... I'm a girl and always have an extra wrapped on my shifter!!!
Thanks!!
The following users liked this post:
latinochino (06-15-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 01:08 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by AmuseMe
Hey all!
I see everything on this awesome list except who you trust in SD to replace your top or do work to it. Pretty bad experience last time I replaced it... I had the original vinyl top on my 2001 replaced in 2014. Guy put on the wrong top (even though I called Robbins and got the exact number of the top I wanted) and the back window popped and shattered 6 mths later. Insurance covered it and who was the recommended vendor for replacement? Same guy! Called around and none of the recommended shops had experience with the S2K. Since insurance guarantees the work I gave it another shot. Bad idea... took 2 rounds and a tiny tear in my passenger seat for him to get it right - oh yah, and he tore up the rubber seal around the drivers window citing "it was old and crumbly". No... no, it wasn't. Here I am 5 years later and oh, hey... the window has separated from the top! He replaced the window it came with with another and assured me it was done to spec - apparently not. I can't do anything about that now but I believe I've read you can have a window glued back in? Insurance will cover again since they guarantee the work as long as I own the car, but I want to be sure I get the right person this time. If insurance offers a replacement I want it done right. I also need the locks replaced - pretty worn out and the left one is being held together with a rubber hair tie. Whaaaaatttt... I'm a girl and always have an extra wrapped on my shifter!!!
Thanks!!

Alan lee
does great work from what Ive seen reach him at 949-872-8270
The following 2 users liked this post by Carbon Blue:
AmuseMe (01-13-2021), Cossa (06-18-2020)
Old 06-18-2020, 02:19 PM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbon Blue
Alan lee
does great work from what Ive seen reach him at 949-872-8270
Agreed. I make the drive. It is worth it.
The following users liked this post:
AmuseMe (01-13-2021)
Old 03-31-2022, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any got Keno's number? He's no longer at Pete's Precision
Old 06-14-2022, 04:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have recommendations for ceramic tint in San Diego?
Old 11-01-2022, 04:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just shipped my S2k from Guam to SD. I will need a shop to fix the following:

1. Auto door lock on drivers side door does not work.
2. Front suspension bushings need tom be replaced.
3. there is a sound coming from the rear could be a wheel bearing
4. Change trans, diff and brake fluid.
5. Install AP2 intake valve retainers and valve adjustment.

That should be it, is there a shop that is near USD that can do all these?