S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

rear camber problem

Old 05-25-2010, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear camber problem

hey guys

yesterday i had a little accident with the kerb , cracked the rear left rim . after that steering was off. (didnt hit the kerb fast at all...say 15-20km/h? maybe less than that)

so went home to change rear rims out. i checked the rear hub and all the axles, nothing snapped, broken or are leaking.

today i went to get a wheel alignement. the mechanic guy said left toe was by like 8mm whereas before it was close to 0. rear left camber was out to -2.6* whereas before it was -3.2* asked me if i had an accident, i said yeah *red faced* lol

he put toe back close to zero and asked him to get camber back to -3.2* and all he could get out of the left rear was -2.5* max while right rear was still at -3.2*.

what possibilites do you guys think could have happened if i wasn't able to get more than -2.5* camber? im still pretty sure that nothings broken or was leaking.

any input is much appreciated!!
cheers guys
Old 05-25-2010, 09:08 PM

the knuckle would be the next thing i replace as well has the hub and bearing. after that you can start next replace the upper and lower arm.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The arms were the first thing that came to my mind. But probably go with his thought first
Old 05-26-2010, 01:03 AM

Almost guarantee it's the rear knuckle. It needs to be replaced with a new one (the side that has been hit).

The rear knuckle may look fine with no physical signs of damage, but it's definitely the root cause determined by the wheel alignment results.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:57 PM

how much am i looking at to replace a rear knuckle?
used? brand new oem honda?

any aftermarket solutions too?
Old 05-27-2010, 03:26 AM

I suggest buying an OEM replacement one. You should have no problems getting it from any Honda dealership. Apologies, I don't know remember the price.

The aftermarket knuckles are generally alot more expensive than OEM because they come with additional options (IE - roll center adjusters).

BTW, it's not just your camber that is screwed, more importantly your toe is screwed as well. Toe to me is alot more important for managing the handling aspects of the car than camber.

Now that you car has been "corrected" realigned. After you replace with a new knuckle, your steering wheel position should be immediately off. That is the first indication that you fixed the correct problem.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:38 AM

cheers stealth!

i will look into getting a new knuckle!! would i need anything else to replace to accommodate the knuckle? (eg: nuts bolts...spindle nut? etc)

although some of my friends are telling me to go get it checked by mechanic first.
should i bother? or would they just tell me its the knuckle as well?

btw if it makes any difference...

before accident
rear axle setback = 0.03*

after accident
rear axle setback = 0.41*
then alignment
rear axle setback = 0.16*

this was the other only value that wasn't able to get back close to 0.03* besides camber.

what is setback and should i be worried ?
Old 05-27-2010, 04:09 PM

I went in to get the UK alignment specs done to my car and I had the same problem. I guess the previous owner hit a curb. My rear sub frame is a little tweaked from it. There's a flat bar that connects from one side of the sub frame to the other and it's bowed a little bit so you can probably check there to see if that's your problem. My mechanic said that I could get the specs I want if I had a machine shop lengthen the lower camber/ toe arm (I don't know exactly what it's called). I'll probably just wait til I lower it.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:56 PM

^^ are u referring to the rear tie bar?
Old 05-27-2010, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by lzybum,May 27 2010, 08:56 PM
^^ are u referring to the rear tie bar?
i think this

Quick Reply: rear camber problem