S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

DIY Passenger Motor Mount

Old 07-16-2010, 04:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking DIY Passenger Motor Mount

I recently split my passenger motor mount. I notice that there isn't a "DIY" in the sticky. So i put together my own. do this when the car is cool, because the header is F***king hot!! lol

if your motor mount looks like this and you have some crazy vibrations in the car. do this! should take about an hour or so.

things you will need:
two jack stands(i used three, one as a safety thing)
a good jack
17mm socket (and a 14mm if you have an x-brace)
ratchet
a torque wrench

1. Jack up both sides and place two jack, one on both sides, under the jacking points. don't raise the car too high.

2. remove anything under the oil pan because you will be placing a jack underneath to jack up the engine LATER.

3. remove the top bolt on top of the motor mount. you might have to hold the top split motor mount in place and spin the bolt.

4. place the jack underneath the oil pan, don't jack it up yet.

5. grab a piece of wood. i just used a card board box and folded it up three times.

6. place the wood/folded card board between the engine and the jack. slowly jack it up. once the jack is touching the oil pan firmly. raise it another 2 inches or so.

7. remove the top split half of the motor mount.

8. remove the bolt(s) to the second half on the bottom of the car. if you have and x-brace like me, then half the work is done.

9. remove the motor mount.

10. install the new motor mount.

11. lower the jack slowly. there is a little nub of the black bracket that is attached to the mount, there is also a place where that nub is supposed to fit into the metal bracket connected to the engine. make sure it goes there. dont stick your fingers in there and lower it. just make sure you line up right and the lower it slowly.

12. install all the bolts, everything should be torque down to 40 ft-lbs. the top one is hard to get a torque wrench down there so, just make it tight.

13. re-install the x-brace.

done. disclaimer: i am not a mechanic. i dont know what i am doing and no one should listen to me. if you do decide to give it a go. i am not responsible for your stupidity and faulty actions. but if you do need advice or help. i will do my best to provide assistance. LOL its not hard at all. i give it about 3.5 out of 10.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Thread!!

Good job Alan!!
Old 07-16-2010, 10:31 PM

Nice thread! Good write up!
Old 07-27-2010, 06:51 AM

Thanks for the DIY! I'm going to check my motor mounts later today, though I haven't noticed any crazy vibrations. Where did you order the part and roughly what's the price?
Old 07-27-2010, 07:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good job on the write up Alan

I'm actually going to check mine in the near future when I do some other maintenance.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:41 AM

Majestic has the lowest price ever. About 121 + shipping. But I needed to leave to go on trip for month so I needed it quick. At the local dealer it would have been 196 + tax. But since I'm good friends with the parts department that was thirty minutes away I got it for 131 and that was overnight too.

Edit: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/j...5=ENGINE+MOUNTS
Old 07-27-2010, 08:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

this needs to be placed in the UTH section
Old 07-27-2010, 09:34 AM

Nice writeup and good pix (I like your splitter too).

I'm guessing the opposite side is similar, for those who might be swapping out their mounts for a different durometer?
Old 07-27-2010, 10:33 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

the other side is a bit more of a pita to get to.. a/c compressor, alternator, tensioner and some coolant hoses are all in the way
Old 07-27-2010, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by SuzukaStook,Jul 27 2010, 12:34 PM
Nice writeup and good pix (I like your splitter too).

I'm guessing the opposite side is similar, for those who might be swapping out their mounts for a different durometer?
lol thanks. the other side is a little more complex. there are more things that you would need to get out of the way to make it a little easier.

Quick Reply: DIY Passenger Motor Mount