S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

S2000 Project Build

Old 07-17-2010, 07:44 PM
BBT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 Project Build

Hey guys,

The time has come to start my project. I purchased an MY00 S2000 with 94,000mi on it about two years ago now and I have had an absolutely wonderful time with the car. It now has 107,000mi on it and I'm itching to play around with some mods.

This project is going to be a bit of a challenge, but I'm up to spending some (hopefully not too much) money and learn a few things and make a street demon out of this car.

I'm not looking for insane power gains, I'm not going to track this car - I'm looking for something that's a good balance between raw power and road handling. I'm thinking that something in the 400rwhp range would be perfect.

Before I get any further let me say that I have absolutely NO IDEA what I'm doing in the Forced Induction arena asides from stories from friends and this site. However, I'm more then willing to experiment and learn.

Mods already on the car:
Skunk II Coilovers
Invidia Q300 Catback Exhaust

As you can see, its mostly stock. I'm looking for advice in the best path to 400hp and superior handling. In exchange I'll document the work done for anyone who wants to replicate starting from scratch.

From reading around this is what I have figured I'll need:

- Some form of Engine Rebuild/Hardening (totally lost here - but the motor has 107k on it, I suspect it wouldn't hold up too well without a rebuild to some degree)
- Turbo Kit
--- I was thinking of picking up this kit
- New Injectors (750cc?)
- New Headers / High flow Cat
- Engine Management (AEM?)
- New Clutch
--- I was thinking this from science of speed

Any advice would be more then welcome, I'm going to try to work with a budget of $4,000 to get the car to the FI level. However, I'm not at all adverse to upping that number for the sake of science
Old 07-17-2010, 10:04 PM

Let me be the first to say that $4,000 budget and a proper setup will be hard to do.
Don't forget you'll also need to have the car properly tuned as well.

A rebuild isn't completely necessary. If the motor is still running healthy and strong, I wouldn't rebuild it. It'll hold 400whp just fine.

Also, good luck on the build.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:31 PM

Received 63 Likes on 24 Posts

$4k won't do all that. i made 422 last week on my mase kit and im like $7k in on my turbo build. ill tell you now that a "balanced" car doesn't need 400hp in an s2k. I had a greddy kit and i made 275 on a conservative tune with the silencer in the exhaust and the car was ALOT of fun to drive around. instant spool up and it didnt sound like a v8 with an exhaust leak because the wg was recirculated to the downpipe. I upgraded to a mase kit, ball bearing turbo and it spools fast but not nearly like the greddy turbo did. the open dump scares the passengers in my car as well where the greddy was super quiet.

i fear a cop hearing my car on the highway and getting a ticket where with the greddy kit i might be a little more stealthy since it was quiet.

i'd not change anything about my car now though. its alot of fun

here's a cost breakdown, assuming

inline kit--------------------------$2800 used
Aem ems-------------------------$1200 new
Id1000 injectors-----------------$450 used or new (hold their value well)
Clutch and fw (whatever brand)$700+
a good tune----------------------$500+
labor------------------------------$500+ easily if clutch and turbo install are done
______
total-------------------------------$6150 not including fluids and the small stuff you'll need.

don't start this build on $4000 and then have your car down for 4 months because you didn't budget the tuning or labor into the build
Old 07-17-2010, 10:47 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Another point. You don't need 'headers' (or in the case of an inline 4, header). The turbo manifold, turbo, and down pipe replace the exhaust manifold or header.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Jul 18 2010, 01:47 AM
Another point. You don't need 'headers' (or in the case of an inline 4, header). The turbo manifold, turbo, and down pipe replace the exhaust manifold or header.
I was waiting for that.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay, here is a link to my build in which I was looking for the same things you were and made even more power than I originally anticipated. TrboKev and Revenge have done similar builds also.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=670166&st=0

If you are just starting out I caution you, just as the others have pointed out there are ALOT of pit falls. There are only a few companies that make a true bolt on kit for the S2000 and the rest are tuner kits, make sure you know what you are getting.

As for your budget if you take your time and get some good deals if you were to buy used you can probably get it all installed for around $4500-$5000. This will not be everything you are going to want or need as you turn up the boost but it will suffice on low boost which is MUCH better than no boost.

I too have a kit for sale. It may be more expensive but you are getting a more complete kit and LOTS of upgrades to Inline's Base kit.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=797977
Old 07-18-2010, 08:14 AM

You would spend about $4K alone on a greddy kit, getting everything done right and installed.

You can save $500-1000 on labor if you do the install yourself. If you need a reference, you can download the install instruction off Greddy.com and use that as a guide to most turbo kit installs (won't be exact since most kits are external gate, not internal gate), but it gives you the basics.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:04 AM
BBT

Originally Posted by Andrewap1,Jul 17 2010, 10:04 PM
Let me be the first to say that $4,000 budget and a proper setup will be hard to do.
Don't forget you'll also need to have the car properly tuned as well.

A rebuild isn't completely necessary. If the motor is still running healthy and strong, I wouldn't rebuild it. It'll hold 400whp just fine.

Also, good luck on the build.
I'm willing to go much higher if necessary - the whole purpose of stating $4k as the starting point was so I didn't go overboard with what I 'can' get. I tend to go over the top given the opportunity

Some good tips here that I wouldn't of considered otherwise. I'm looking to do the entire install myself - I have plenty of garage space and a backup vehicle for the time being, and I want to learn a thing or two about FI - except for the tune of course

The motor hasn't given me any issues - I got it compression tested at 98k and it passed.

I have a question though - I heard that the F20C motors may burn a little oil during regular operation, I've noticed about a half quart every 6k miles or so - this has me a little worried - is this normal?

I can't believe I put header on there - that's what I get for posting from work - so embarrassed

Thanks for the help
Old 07-19-2010, 09:13 AM

Your oil consumption is actually pretty good, N/A I use to burn around a quart in 4-5K miles, but turbo it is much less. The boost seems to seal the rings better.

I would look into something like DSDDCD's Inline pro kit that he has for sale. You will be doing yourself a big favor as his kit is practically brand new and he did a lot of modifications and upgrades to it. As he stated I run the same Inline pro kit, but with a slightly smaller turbo and I put down 457 HP to the wheels with it.
Also Inline Pro's customer service is VERY good. They have great customer support and they stand behind what they sell.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:35 PM
BBT

Originally Posted by TRBOKEV,Jul 19 2010, 09:13 AM
Your oil consumption is actually pretty good, N/A I use to burn around a quart in 4-5K miles, but turbo it is much less. The boost seems to seal the rings better.

I would look into something like DSDDCD's Inline pro kit that he has for sale. You will be doing yourself a big favor as his kit is practically brand new and he did a lot of modifications and upgrades to it. As he stated I run the same Inline pro kit, but with a slightly smaller turbo and I put down 457 HP to the wheels with it.
Also Inline Pro's customer service is VERY good. They have great customer support and they stand behind what they sell.
Sweet - that seems to be what I'm leaning towards anyway. I think I'll shoot him a PM and get this started

As far as intercoolers go, what plays well with that kit?

Quick Reply: S2000 Project Build