S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Sparco Evo2 Plus driver seat install

Old 08-05-2010, 12:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sparco Evo2 Plus driver seat install

I just installed my new Sparco Evo2 Plus driver seat on Buddy Club rails in my '05 and am very happy. As a big guy (6'-1" ~230lbs), I needed a seat that was acceptably comfortable (I'm a realist) and fit the S2000's tight confines. While fairly tight in the hips, it'll do OK for 2 hour drives to/from the track. I tried a Cobra Suzuka Pro (?) which fit me great but didn't work in the S2000. This Evo2 Plus is bigger then the Recaro Pole Position, and has the shoulder harness cutouts in a much higher (and better) position for my height. I'm happy with my choice.

Having recently installed a Hard Dog roll bar, I lost a bit of much-needed seat recline. The Evo2 Plus installed on Buddy Club rails gives me that space back (though it doesn't drop me much lower). I now fit better in the cockpit, like I'm in the OEM seat only much snugger.

I was able to keep the OEM seat belt buckle accessible and usable. The belt fits nicely across my lap and chest. Though it's a tight fit to the buckle, the retractor works (to keep the belt tight during operation), and unbuckling the belt is unaffected for ease of use by emergency responders (if needed). However, I'll have to relocate the retractor when I install a harness, as it will be in the way of the lower harness bar.

Though it rubs against the right wing, the center compartment door opens (no pic of that, sorry). The driver's door doesn't touch the seat, and the left wing doesn't touch the door jamb (though both my trim and the metal soft top motor cover were removed for the Hard Dog bar install).

I did need to fab up a custom front left bracket to mount the Evo2 Plus to the Buddy Club rails. I got some 2"x24"x1/8" mild steel stock (Ace hardware, $15), used a brake press to make a right angle (thanks, Busby Motorsports in Martinez!), then drilled and dremeled the bracket to fit.

It did take some tweeking and fiddling to make it fit, but it does fit nicely. Next step is to relocate/eliminate the OEM seat belt retractor, and modify the bulkhead to allow harness installation. While the seatbelt buckle does fit, I think I'm going to go with a Schroth ASM (non-DOT compliant) harness and remove the OEM belt. This (with the roll bar) is a SAFER setup then using the 3pt belt, so I'm OK with it. I'll reinstall the OEM setup if I get a fixit ticket, so no worries.

I hope this helps some of you out there.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice man! That's a comfy seat!
Old 08-05-2010, 04:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Im definately a bigger guy too. What size waist does that seat fit? It looks great in there.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:21 PM

So the seating position doesnt feel any lower? Do you have more leg room?
Old 08-06-2010, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a 38 waist, I barely fit for a tight but comfortable fit. I really think this is as big a seat as they come while still fitting into an S2000 without cutting anything (except the removal of side trim required for the roll bar).

Seat isn't any lower, but I did get my leg room back from what was lost when I installed the Hard Dog roll bar. If you used 2 custom brackets for the front, you MIGHT be able to go lower. I only used one (was glad it fit with only 1 bracket), but may try 2 sometime in the future.

Leg extension is like stock, but is more constrained side-to-side due to the side bolsters.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:02 PM

Bumping an old thread here...

Are there any rails that fit this seat without modification? I don't have the tools or know how to modify the buddy club rails. I was thinking maybe F1, but I think they are the same as buddy club.

Also, you said it didn't lower you much. Do you have it as low as it will go? My main reason for wanting new seats is to sit lower. I'd especially think a non-reclining seat would go significantly lower.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:35 PM

Plus 1 for the comment above
Old 09-05-2015, 09:31 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Contact pro car innovations.