• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Different color Silverstone metallic? Beats me, can anyone explain? *Pics*

#1 User is offline   Distracted S2000 

• Group: Guest
  • Interests:Speed

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:48 AM

My car was originally Silverstone Metallic. Had a few scratches/ scuffs here and there so I decided to take it to a paintshop. Heard good reviews from local forums that this guys is PRO at painting cars so i decided to check it out and have him paint my car (2 fenders and hood).

Well, I just got my car back earlier today and I must say, I'm very disappointed. The guy that painted my car said that he couldn't find the color code which was suppose to be next to the VIN sticker by the door. That being said, I went on here to look up the paint code which was NH-630M and told him so he can go ahead and start the painting process.

I'm not doubting his skills in painting, the guy KNOWS his thing. It just bothers me that how could the paint code i gave him turned out to be something different? He did mention that the paint code i gave him has 4 different shade. Something about a US silverstone, another JAP silverstone, and etc. He also mentioned that the entire car was previously painted, something i was not aware of. Probably from the previous owner?

Right now, I can't even tell if my car is sebring silver or the actual silverstone... Heck sebring stone? I don't know lol. From a distance, you can tell a big difference. The front half of my car is bright silver and slowly fade over to dark silver as you go back. I'm sort of lost here haha.

I have pictures below, perhaps you all could be the judge? Notice the lip is alot darker than my bumper, fender, and hood. The lip has never been painted and was installed by the stealership themselves awhile back. Yeah, he sprayed my bumper aswell and some part of the door to blend. I'm going back Thursday to have the lip painted to match the rest... Free! So my question is this... HOW MANY COLORS ARE THERE FOR SILVERSTONE? :confused:

Heres my car awhile back
Posted Image

Posted Image

Compare to...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Distracted S2000: 25 August 2010 - 01:59 AM

2005 Honda S2000 Silverstone
2006 Lotus Exige Aspen White - K24 SC swap in progress

#2 User is offline   Neutered Sputniks 

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:29 AM

Get a new paint guy. Yours apparently cannot paint match and did the simple "mix the color code" bit without even attempting to blend.
Posted Image

Triple-H: "to try and describe the roads "here" would be like trying to define the last digit of Pi. "

#3 User is offline   Distracted S2000 

• Topic Starter

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:06 AM

Damn, is it that hard to match silverstone?

#4 User is offline   s2kscott 

• Group: Member

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:32 AM

ive heard its a harder color to spray, but the way your lip looks compared to your body is wayyy off, that just doesnt even look right, but your car is definetly silverstone
Posted Image

Posted Image

--Invidia--K&N--Hondata--BC Racing--Enkei--

#5 User is offline   JulieU 

• Group: Site Moderator

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:37 AM

Wow, that DOES look Sebring. :egads:

The guy that painted my car said that he couldn't find the color code which was suppose to be next to the VIN sticker by the door. That being said, I went on here to look up the paint code which was NH-630M and told him so he can go ahead and start the painting process.

He could have easily looked it up, too. :banghead:

He did mention that the paint code i gave him has 4 different shade.

This I can believe. This was taken in 2007:

Posted Image

It illustrates the difference between my 2003 Silverstone and my friend's 2007 Silverstone... both factory paint, neither car had ever had any body work done at the time. :shrug:

He also mentioned that the entire car was previously painted, something i was not aware of. Probably from the previous owner?

Ah, that explains why the sticker with the paint code may have been missing.
"Please take care of your S2000, keep it by your side for long and enjoy it from the bottom of your heart and share the quality and legacy of the S2000 with many friends so that the legend of the S2000 will continue for long." - Shigeru Uehara

#6 User is offline   Distracted S2000 

• Topic Starter

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:04 AM

Is there suppose to be something else besides the paint code NH-630M...? Shade number maybe? I'm thinking about going back and get it sprayed again because this is unacceptable. Didn't really notice until I got home and wash the car

#7 User is offline   Neutered Sputniks 

Posted 25 August 2010 - 01:03 PM

Is there suppose to be something else besides the paint code NH-630M...? Shade number maybe? I'm thinking about going back and get it sprayed again because this is unacceptable. Didn't really notice until I got home and wash the car

Did he paint just the lip?

Or everything but?

I'm a bit confused here. If he painted the hood/fenders, then he should have blended into the doors and the front bumper.

What's really thrown me off is that lip though. Was the darker lip color intentional on your part?

#8 User is offline   Distracted S2000 

• Topic Starter

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:14 PM

No, he didn't paint the lip. He pretty painted the entire front end besides the lip... Don't ask, i don't know why. My only intention was to get my fender and hood painted... not my front bumper and both doors. Oh he blended it alright, but its pretty bad due to the color code. Half sebring, half silverstone lol.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Distracted S2000: 25 August 2010 - 02:26 PM

#9 User is offline   Jumpman2k 

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:04 PM

Oh my goodness...
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   Neutered Sputniks 

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:23 PM

Oh my goodness...

:surprised: I wouldn't have accepted the car. That's a horrible paint match.

Your guy obviously did the easy "no match" paint mix bit. He didn't even bother trying to actually match the paint - he just mixed the paint code and sprayed it on.

#11 User is offline   Mo-S2K 

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:43 PM

Here are the S2000 colours, and there were only 3 silvers and one gray called Moonrock. The Silver paint codes are:
Synchro Silver Metallic (NH-745M) (also known as Chicane in the US)
Sebring Silver Metallic (NH-552M)
Silverstone Metallic (NH-630M)

Japan,Honda,Passenger,AP2,2dr convertible/6sp-manual,BaseModel,2009,Suzuka,Canada#15[/IMG]
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   Distracted S2000 

• Topic Starter

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:38 PM

Didn't notice it was that bad until I washed it. Like the car was dirty as **** when I picked it up. Is silverstone just NH-630M...? Nothing else?

#13 User is offline   PsykotiK 

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:09 PM

Looks like he sprayed your car sebring, sucks

#14 User is offline   zeroptzero 

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:15 PM

The guy who painted my fender and hardtop in sebring silver wanted to know the 7th digit of my VIN number in addition to my paint code. The seventh digit is a letter of the alphabet, I'm not sure but I think that affects the shade of the paint as paint colours can change throughout the model year or something like that, like you said there are several shades of the same colour depending on when the car was produced. Despite silver being hard to match, mine came out pretty good , matching well even though my original paint is 8 years old.
*NOTE: The artist formally known as JFusion ! . I am now zeroptzero , pm me at my new screen name

Posted Image

#15 User is offline   kacerdaracer 

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:22 PM

idk about the s2000 but other honda models will has a dash code after the code with a number or letter after it. for example the civic or accord silver nh-623. there is like 10 different variations like nh-623-3 or nh-623-m or A. or even a little letter on the lower right of the color code tag. but you can def. see the blend in the middle of the door. and if you use a cheaper paint brand there colors arent always that close and you have to tint them. the shop i work at uses dupont and that match pretty good but at time u have to tint it, and the guy tinting also may have f*ed up.

This post has been edited by kacerdaracer: 25 August 2010 - 09:23 PM

#16 User is offline   JulieU 

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:15 PM

[QUOTE=JFUSION,Aug 25 2010, 09:15 PM]The guy who painted my fender and hardtop in sebring silver wanted to know the 7th digit of my VIN number in addition to my paint code.

#17 User is offline   Suzuka_Joe 

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:32 AM

The shop that did my spoiler looked up the Suzuka paint code variations and none matched my car. He matched it with my gas door I left. Came out perfect
'02 S2000 - weekend warrior
'03 Ford SVT Lightning - daily
'12 CBR1000RR - fair weather daily
'03 CBR600RR - Track Slut

Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 User is offline   Mo-S2K 

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:08 PM

Here is a picture that shows the interpretation of the VIN. If you click on it, then click on the next page again, and yet another time, you will be able to expand it to a readable size.

It doesn't make sense to me that he's asking for the 7th character. It simply means
"2-dr convertible /6 sp manual transmission" - I don't see how this could indicate paint variation.

All the S2000 paint codes have an "M" at the end of them, if its a metallic colour. So, Silverstone is NH-630M, or NH-630-M. There are no other designations.

It is difficult to reproduce exactly the metallic colour, especially silver, as there is such a difference in the amount of silver flakes in the paint.

#19 User is offline   HONDA RR 

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:01 PM

Looks like your painter painted your car sebring silver. Silverstone is much darker than that.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#20 User is offline   zeroptzero 

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:10 PM

:ponder: The seventh character of my VIN (immediately following the chassis code, right?) is a number (1). :shrug: Same with my BF's S2000.

Sorry, it was the eleventh number in my VIN code, I may have mixed up the number, my bad. For some reason he wanted to know the 11th digit in my VIN, mine was the letter T, which is the factory code for Tochigi. Not sure what that had to do with the paint code. I don't really know, but it was just something that he wanted me to provide to him when I had my hardtop painted and my car was not in his possession so he called me to get the 11th digit info.

This post has been edited by JFUSION: 26 August 2010 - 06:15 PM

#21 User is offline   JulieU 

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:15 PM

Ah, now that makes sense because they changed factories somewhere around 2003/2004 from Tochigi to Suzuka. Maybe they slightly altered the Silverstone recipe then, too. :shrug:

#22 User is offline   Distracted S2000 

• Topic Starter

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:31 PM

Well I just got done talking to the guy that painted my car... Came to the conclusion that he will paint my entire car from front to end free on Monday. He even offered to repair a big 3 inch crack on my lip aswell! He asked me whether I want to continue to paint the car as is or if I could find the actual silverstone code, then he'll paint it that color. My only concern is... I thought the code I gave him was silverstone! NH-630M right? Unless I'm missing something...

#23 User is offline   suzuka-blue-s2k 

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:59 PM

Well that is the right code for Silverstone. Just verify with him thats the code you want, and let him start spraying!

#24 User is offline   JulieU 

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:06 PM

The first time I had something painted (an aftermarket spoiler), I refused to take the entire car to them (I have overspray-phobia). Instead, I took the spoiler to a body shop along with one of my stock side mirror housings (had aftermarket ones on the car at the time) and a bottle of Silverstone touch-up paint that I'd purchased from Honda and said: here, I want this (handing them the spoiler) this color (handing them the mirror housing and touch-up paint). It came out pretty darn near perfect. Not sure if I just got lucky or what. :shrug:

#25 User is offline   Distracted S2000 

• Topic Starter

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:52 PM

Well that is the right code for Silverstone. Just verify with him thats the code you want, and let him start spraying!

Yeah I did verify that NH-630M was the correct paint code for silverstone. He keep insisting that it is not or that theres more to it. I don't know how to put it, any help? I really don't know anything about paint or the type of shades they be having. All I want is my freaking fender and hood repainted, not the entire car.

This post has been edited by Distracted S2000: 26 August 2010 - 10:54 PM

Ads by Google   S2KI

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users