S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Car stalls when I take my foot off the gas!

Old 08-29-2010, 12:50 PM
vbb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Car stalls when I take my foot off the gas!

I've had an odd issue that I can't seem to get a handle on. When I first start my car, the idle is kind of rough for a minute before it evens out. As soon as I press the accelerator (or just open the throttle) and then let off, the idle drops way down, and the car will either stall, or come really close to stalling out. If I keep my foot on the accelerator, even just keeping the revs up to around 1k-1.5k the car is fine. It's just that everytime I let off the gas, the car does that weird stalling thing.

My troubleshooting:
I first noticed it about a month ago. I did a MAP sensor "whack," changed the spark plugs and checked for any air leaks. It fixed the problem for about two weeks. The problem came back, and then I threw a p1129 code. I then took the MAP sensor off, cleaned it, reset the ECU and cleared the code with my scanner. The problem went away for about three days, then came back again, only this time, no p1129 code. So yesterday, I replaced my MAP sensor with a new one, took my intake off (I just have a K&N short ram) cleaned it and put everything back on, reset the ECU. The problem didn't even bother going away this time. Also, I threw a random p2279 code. I've checked everywhere for any air leaks, and I don't see/hear any. I just cleared the code, let it idle, and the code hasn't come back. But the darn problem is STILL there.

Any ideas? I don't know what to check next. At the moment, I am not throwing any codes, but the problem hasn't gone away either.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:40 PM
Opc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fuel pressure issue? clogged fitler, fuel pump going?
Old 08-30-2010, 03:29 AM
vbb

Would a failing fuel pump cause the car to act this way? The car rides fine as long as I have the accelerator depressed... it's when I lift my foot off the gas and let the rpms fall to idle that it acts like it wants to stall out. But I'm open to any ideas at this point.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps your intake connections are incorrect?
Old 08-30-2010, 07:50 AM

Did this start to happen shortly after any mods? A few things I would look into are: valve adjustment, block or pinch off the pcv valve and vac hose to the booster and purge control solenoid, clean and or replace the idle air control valve. It sounds like you have a vacum leak somewhere or it is possible debris is caught in the idle control valve. Did you ever remove the intake manifold or throttle body?
Old 08-30-2010, 11:09 AM
vbb

No, this did not happen after any mods. I have a short ram intake that has been on the car for over a year, and a private label header that has been on the car for 6+ months. The rest of the car is stock, including the cat and exhaust. I haven't removed the intake manifold or throttle body for any reason either. If it is a vacuum leak, I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:16 AM

Its most likely your TPS, mine does the same thing, but doesnt die, it catches at the last bar(on the rpm gauge). So i brought it to honda and they said my TPS(throttle position sensor) was reading only half of what it was supposts to be reading. This could potentially be the same issue with your car, but worse. Check it out. Theres a DIY TPS sensor replacement forum on here. look it up and research it.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:47 AM
vbb

I have not checked the TPS. For the record, mine has only stalled out completely twice. Usually it will "catch" at the last possible second just like you described. I will check that out.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:55 AM

ya, mines not as bad as you said, but if i like give it gas while im in neutral the rpms will go up and fall all the way down then catch like you said(only when its fully warmed up).
I bet its your TPS. If i could id try to fix my problem now, i just dont have the 800$ to buy a new TB and i dont want to modify a integra tps on my throttle body, im a bit of a perfectionist..
Old 08-30-2010, 02:49 PM

also check your ivac and clean it

Quick Reply: Car stalls when I take my foot off the gas!