S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

FMIC vs After Cooler

Old 10-01-2010, 04:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FMIC vs After Cooler

Hey guys its time to SC my S. I'm stuck between the SOS stage2 w/larger heat exchanger and the Kraftwerks High boost kit. I was just wondering which is more efficent/effective means of cooling the IAT... FMIC or AfterCooler?

My S is not my daily driver but when I do drive her, I like to open her up and have fun.

If this topic has already been discussed sorry in advance for repeating it and could someone point me in the direction of that thread. Thanks.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:28 AM

depends on the amount of boost you run for which cooler you should use.

since you are looking at the stg2 or the KW high boost, i would say the fm is best and has the most room for upping the boost in the future. your throttle response will not be as good as with the AC simply because of all the additional piping and larger cooler, but they all serve a purpose. and the throttle response difference is minuscule.

i think you will be happier with the sos kit though in terms of fit/finish and aesthetics.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I would go with the aftercooler!
fmic will lose more boost due to the long piping and worse throttle response.
The aftercooler, the air goes right from sc into engine.
Harder to heat up water compared to heat soaking the fmic. On the other hand it is harder to cool the water once it gets hot compared to the fmic.
In aftercooler with a larger front mount heat exchanger I think is the best solution for a supercharger!
Old 10-02-2010, 01:42 AM

heat soaking the fmic?! have you had experience with aftercooler?! I had both, each one has its own + and -. Heat soaking is the most common problem for the Aftercooler. The FMIC does not suffer from heat soaking, only from boost loss, everything else is far better.

As far as my prefered SC system I would go for rotrex and FMIC, ie Kraftwerks or TTS.

By the way, I am too SC with a CT kit (Paxton unit Novi 1000) and converted form the standard AC to a FMIC for better cooling. I wouldnt switch back to AC. I may try different approach such as a smaller intercooler to minimise boost loss but FMIC is definitely the way to go...
Old 10-02-2010, 06:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Yes FMICs heat soak. On a hot day a fmic will heatsoak before an aftercooler will. Air heats up faster than water. Nothing you can do about that.
So a fmic for a sc will give you worse throttle response, boost loss and will heatsoak quicker.
Like I said before though once the water does get heated up it takes longer to cool down compared to a fmic.
A fmic might be beneficial if running higher boost like 14+psi. But a sc especially a ct can't run enough boost to make up for the boost loss running a fmic so an aftercooler will always make more power than a fmic with a ct sc.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:47 AM

^^^
You're misinformed on this subject. Many people use the FMIC to eliminate heatsoak because the placement is better to cool the air. The aftercooler is in the engine bay and the water heats EXTREMELY quickly. The only drawback of the FMIC is boost loss because the routing of the piping is much longer. Cooler charge air = more power. If you're worried about boost loss just get a bigger pulley to make up for it.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by itlynstalyn,Oct 2 2010, 11:47 AM
^^^
You're misinformed on this subject. Many people use the FMIC to eliminate heatsoak because the placement is better to cool the air. The aftercooler is in the engine bay and the water heats EXTREMELY quickly. The only drawback of the FMIC is boost loss because the routing of the piping is much longer. Cooler charge air = more power. If you're worried about boost loss just get a bigger pulley to make up for it.
Actually water heats up slower. So your incorrect with that.
A front mount heat exchanger keeps the water/coolant cool and harder to heat up. Like I said the fmic advantage is once the aftercooler finally does heatsoak(takes some serious tracking) the water is harder to cool down than an air to air intercooler.
And with a ct you can only get like a 12 lb pulley so will definitely make more power using a 12 pulley and an aftercooler compared to a 12 lb pulley and a fmic.
There is a reason why so few people run a fmic with a supercharger. Loss of boost and worse throttle response are reason enough. Not needed for a supercharger unless running some high boost.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Moddiction,Oct 2 2010, 07:51 AM
Actually water heats up slower. So your incorrect with that.
A front mount heat exchanger keeps the water/coolant cool and harder to heat up. Like I said the fmic advantage is once the aftercooler finally does heatsoak(takes some serious tracking) the water is harder to cool down than an air to air intercooler.
And with a ct you can only get like a 12 lb pulley so will definitely make more power using a 12 pulley and an aftercooler compared to a 12 lb pulley and a fmic.
There is a reason why so few people run a fmic with a supercharger. Loss of boost and worse throttle response are reason enough. Not needed for a supercharger unless running some high boost.
Nowhere did I say that water heats faster than air. The fact of the matter is people convert to FMIC because you get cooler charge air from the intercooler that's mounted in the front bumper than air coming from an aftercooler that's stuck in an extremely hot engine bay.

Trust me, I've used both. I saw more horsepower on the dyno at the same boost with the FMIC over the aftercooler for longer periods of time without any serious cooling.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by itlynstalyn,Oct 2 2010, 11:57 AM
Nowhere did I say that water heats faster than air. The fact of the matter is people convert to FMIC because you get cooler charge air from the intercooler that's mounted in the front bumper than air coming from an aftercooler that's stuck in an extremely hot engine bay.

Trust me, I've used both. I saw more horsepower on the dyno at the same boost with the FMIC over the aftercooler for longer periods of time without any serious cooling.
Yeah but what I was saying about the comptech is you will run out of boost with a fmic and make less possible power than with an aftercooler do to the boost loss. So if you are happy running a max of around 9 lbs with a fmic you can do that but with an aftercooler and 12 lbs will make considerably more power.
Sure the aftercooler is in the engine bay but the water is cooled up front just like a fmic and recirculated with the water pump.
I know after many hard pulls my aftercooler is very cool still! Did runs in 95+ degrees weather and still was very cool.
fmic might cool air slightly more but no way is it worth the boost loss and throttle response suffered imo. Many people revert right back to an aftercooler after getting a fmic for that very reason!
Old 10-02-2010, 08:07 AM

^^^

There are plenty of pulleys available that can make up for the boost loss. Throttle response is hardly noticeable at all. Why do you think every turbo car runs a FMIC? Because it's better/more efficient. People revert because of the boost loss, no other reason.

Again, I've used both and the intercooler keeps the charge air cooler for much longer than the aftercooler.

Quick Reply: FMIC vs After Cooler