S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

FMIC vs After Cooler

Old 10-02-2010, 08:09 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by itlynstalyn,Oct 2 2010, 12:07 PM
^^^

There are plenty of pulleys available that can make up for the boost loss. Throttle response is hardly noticeable at all. Why do you think every turbo car runs a FMIC? Because it's better/more efficient. People revert because of the boost loss, no other reason.

Again, I've used both and the intercooler keeps the charge air cooler for much longer than the aftercooler.
Well the air is much hotter coming out of a turbo so would heat the liquid up quicker. For a supercharger that is not as much of an issue. And no for a ct you can't just do that. You will overspin the blower before you can make up for the boost loss. You will also put more wear on the supercharger for spinning more for a lower boost amount.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A supercharger is still pushing hot air. You're not going to overspin the blower, a vortech/comptech isn't a rotrex. There are people on this board alone pushing 15-20 lbs of boost on their superchargers. If you haven't had first-hand experience with both you shouldn't make such gross generalizations. The FMIC is proven to lower IAT over the aftercooler for longer periods of time. The single-greatest drawback being the boost loss.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by itlynstalyn,Oct 2 2010, 12:24 PM
A supercharger is still pushing hot air. You're not going to overspin the blower, a vortech/comptech isn't a rotrex. There are people on this board alone pushing 15-20 lbs of boost on their superchargers. If you haven't had first-hand experience with both you shouldn't make such gross generalizations. The FMIC is proven to lower IAT over the aftercooler for longer periods of time. The single-greatest drawback being the boost loss.
Vortech can run higher boost comptech won't reach those numbers. Yes you can overspin the blower.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:45 AM

I didn't say you could or couldn't I said you're not going too. A 3.0" pulley with a fmic will put out anywhere from 9-11lbs of boost without "overspinning" the blower and still make excellent power.

The OP never said anything about a comptech kit, he's debating between SOS and Kraftwerks and wanted to know which cooled the air better/more efficiently. Here's a hint: it's the FMIC.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:14 AM

Cooling aside, SOS is expandable (up to 20+ lbl's with the Novi 1200) where as KW your limited to 9.5-10.5 lbs of boost. So decide what power you want and stick with the cooling method that comes with the kit.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by itlynstalyn,Oct 2 2010, 07:47 AM
^^^
You're misinformed on this subject. Many people use the FMIC to eliminate heatsoak because the placement is better to cool the air. The aftercooler is in the engine bay and the water heats EXTREMELY quickly. The only drawback of the FMIC is boost loss because the routing of the piping is much longer. Cooler charge air = more power. If you're worried about boost loss just get a bigger pulley to make up for it.
Your misinformed. The AC in the engine bay only holds the water. The heat exchanger for the AC is also in the grill like the fmic. With the upgraded SOS heat exchanger visually you cant tell the difference between this and the FMIC.

For all out power and efficiency the SOS kit with upgraded heat exchanger hands down is better. KW is a great kit too, but for your OP questions/goals this is where its at. FMIC are great for turbos, not necessary for the drawbacks with an SC. For a KW kit which is at its limit right out of the box, it also makes sense. The rotrex blower spins twice as fast as a typical Novi blower with different boost characteristics to help offset some of the drawbacks.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by itlynstalyn,Oct 2 2010, 07:57 AM
Nowhere did I say that water heats faster than air. The fact of the matter is people convert to FMIC because you get cooler charge air from the intercooler that's mounted in the front bumper than air coming from an aftercooler that's stuck in an extremely hot engine bay.

Trust me, I've used both. I saw more horsepower on the dyno at the same boost with the FMIC over the aftercooler for longer periods of time without any serious cooling.
But there is a point depending on boost where there is diminishing returns. Overall the boost loss does not offset the added cooling of the fmic. You are hard presses to make anything over 10psi on a SC with an fmic. 2-4psi loss isn't very efficient. Now in the scenario where someone is running a kit with 8psi AC and then another guy is running 8psi fmic I can see the benefit. But your also putting more strain on the SC to spin faster to compensate for the boost loss. So that guy is running a 3.6 pulley vs the AC guy who only has to run a 4" etc...etc... The only time I would consider an fmic on a SC is if I were racing competitively and in a particular HP bracket.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by itlynstalyn,Oct 2 2010, 08:45 AM
I didn't say you could or couldn't I said you're not going too. A 3.0" pulley with a fmic will put out anywhere from 9-11lbs of boost without "overspinning" the blower and still make excellent power.

The OP never said anything about a comptech kit, he's debating between SOS and Kraftwerks and wanted to know which cooled the air better/more efficiently. Here's a hint: it's the FMIC.
But that 3" pulley on an A/C kit will net 13-14psi and exceed the power level beyond the added cooling efficiency of the FMIC.

BTW the SOS and CT kits both use novi blowers so its a fair comparison. a Rotrex and Novi is not. The point is the FMIC cools the air better, but not more efficiently for an SC is the point.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:35 AM

It seems like the only way to be sure is to log pressure and iat's. Numbers don't lie.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:42 AM

well with the 3.2 pulley on my ap1 (novi 1000) i made 9.5psi with a fmic.who is running a 3.2 with a aftercooler and how much boost did it show on the dyno,not your boost gauge.

Quick Reply: FMIC vs After Cooler