S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

FMIC vs After Cooler

Old 10-02-2010, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for your input, I appreciate it!

So what I gathered from this is that: Since I am planning on keeping boost around 10psi, the pressure drop that is associated with an fmic would not be as effective/efficient as an AC w/ larger front mount heat exchanger. For example the SOS upgraded heat exchanger...

If I was to run 15+psi then it would probably benefit me to upgrade to a fmic...

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Again thanks guys...
Old 10-02-2010, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky,Oct 2 2010, 10:23 AM
Your misinformed. The AC in the engine bay only holds the water. The heat exchanger for the AC is also in the grill like the fmic. With the upgraded SOS heat exchanger visually you cant tell the difference between this and the FMIC.

For all out power and efficiency the SOS kit with upgraded heat exchanger hands down is better. KW is a great kit too, but for your OP questions/goals this is where its at. FMIC are great for turbos, not necessary for the drawbacks with an SC. For a KW kit which is at its limit right out of the box, it also makes sense. The rotrex blower spins twice as fast as a typical Novi blower with different boost characteristics to help offset some of the drawbacks.
The water is still bound to heat up because of where it is in the engine bay. There's not real a way to avoid that other than using ice water to slow it down.

I'm going off personal experience here. My intercoolered s/c kit made consistently more HP than my aftercooler kit at the same boost levels. When I get some time I'll dig up my dyno sheets.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:08 AM

^im understanding both sides here. but you said, "My intercoolered s/c kit made consistently more HP than my aftercooler kit at the same boost levels."

so you ran say a 9 psi pulley with the AC, then switched it up to the FMIC and also got a larger pulley to make 9psi with the FMIC?
Old 10-03-2010, 04:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just run the A/C + larger heat exchanger on my N1500 @ 14ish psi.

I see no benefit to going FMIC and experiencing boost loss when the larger heat exchanger does its job well enough.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by teamvalorracing,Oct 3 2010, 04:08 AM
^im understanding both sides here. but you said, "My intercoolered s/c kit made consistently more HP than my aftercooler kit at the same boost levels."

so you ran say a 9 psi pulley with the AC, then switched it up to the FMIC and also got a larger pulley to make 9psi with the FMIC?
Exactly, I bought a 3.2" pulley to compensate. I was pushing just about 10lbs of boost on my comptech kit with a FMIC. I'm don't remember exact numbers because it was almost 2 years ago but I'm pretty sure it was making in the range of 15-20 more hp than the standard a/c kit at the same boost level. I switched over because the heat soak was consistently robbing hp from me on the dyno. Each pull would consistently lose hp, where I didn't experience that problem with the FMIC.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by itlynstalyn,Oct 3 2010, 06:54 AM
Exactly, I bought a 3.2" pulley to compensate. I was pushing just about 10lbs of boost on my comptech kit with a FMIC. I'm don't remember exact numbers because it was almost 2 years ago but I'm pretty sure it was making in the range of 15-20 more hp than the standard a/c kit at the same boost level. I switched over because the heat soak was consistently robbing hp from me on the dyno. Each pull would consistently lose hp, where I didn't experience that problem with the FMIC.
This is with the small heat exchanger. SOS upgrades theirs and has similar performance of the FMIC as far as cooling. Reference this thread: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=777016
Old 10-03-2010, 08:56 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by KatchMe808,Oct 2 2010, 11:43 AM
Thanks guys for your input, I appreciate it!

So what I gathered from this is that: Since I am planning on keeping boost around 10psi, the pressure drop that is associated with an fmic would not be as effective/efficient as an AC w/ larger front mount heat exchanger. For example the SOS upgraded heat exchanger...

If I was to run 15+psi then it would probably benefit me to upgrade to a fmic...

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Again thanks guys...
No, basically if you ever want to net more then 10psi or 360-370whp then don't run an fmic. The boost loss doesn't make up for the 400-425+whp you could otherwise have with the A/C config. If you just want to run 10psi and compensate by boosting more with the fmic to still only net 10psi then that configuration could arguably net more power then the kit netting 10psi with the A/C.

I am netting 9psi 360whp with a 3.8" pulley. If i removed my A/C and put on an FMIC I would now net aprox 6psi and wouldn't make it over 300whp. Now I could put on a smaller 3.2" pulley that would normally net me 12psi but will now get me back up to 9psi again and probably little to no more power then when I started with. The blower speed will also be increased, which builds more heat and puts added wear on the blower bearings.

In the case of KW, they use a rotrex blower which is different technology then the Novi blowers SOS uses. It spins at 100,000rpms which is double the rate of the Novi, the affect of this is a stronger trq curve and more efficient power produced per rpm, but it produces more heat and requires an fmic and separate oil cooler to run reliably. Its difficult to compare the two becuase they are different. You might as well be talking Turbos.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:06 PM

Interesting thread. My plan is to run a Novi 1200 with a PLM FMIC. I can do the whole thing way cheaper and the FMIC seems way simpler to do.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:23 PM

SOS kit with a 1500 blower + FMIC @ 12-13psi would be a great setup!!
Old 03-11-2011, 08:19 AM

Vortech has an excellent white paper comparing the advantages/disadvantages of charge cooling solutions. Read this for plenty more ammunition to continue the debate..
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...oler_paper.pdf

12-13 psi can easily be done using the 1200 blower. Don't need the 1500 with its straight cut gears (which are louder, IIRC from another thread). SOS kit with 1200 blower & upgraded heat exchanger should be plenty.

Quick Reply: FMIC vs After Cooler