UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Meister R Coilovers - My review after 3 months

Old 10-25-2010, 05:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meister R Coilovers - My review after 3 months

Hey guys,

here is my Meister R review, I was going to post up the review straight away, but I thought I’d give it a few weeks which turned into a few months to check no issues arise.

I’ve now done 3000 miles with them fitted so I feel I can really give a good review on these.

Service

Firstly the service I received from Meister R (jerrick) was spot on, Jerrick was always accessible by email and phone and gave good information on various key points I personally wanted to cover. Jerrick changed the spring rates to my preference without charge and it was all done immediately unlike various other company’s where I was quoted 3 - 4 weeks if I wanted to specify anything different. The coilovers were sent next day and I was sent a tracking number by email the next day.

The units

The coilovers them selves are very well engineered right down to the C spanners that are used to move the locking collars on the struts.

First thing to note about the units are that the vehicle is lowered WITHOUT adjusting the preload on the spring. This means the car isn’t compromised when running low compared to the generic way coilovers are adjusted by lowering the spring perch. Coilovers that adjust like this also have a problem as the springs become loose on extension meaning there will either be a knocking noise or a chance the spring may unseat it’s self.

The dampening and rebound is adjusted by dials on the top of each strut which allows for fine tuning on the track and road.

Fitting the units was very straight forward, everything slotted in to place perfectly, fitting was performed by TDI-NORTH and it took just under two hours to do all four corners.

The ride

As you can see from my pictures below I run the car very low but there is still adjustment to go even lower if preferred. I have the dampers setup all round at 15 clicks from soft and the ride is only very slightly stiffer than standard. People seem to find this hard to believe until they actually come out in the car which a few members on various forums have. In terms of motorway driving and B road blasting, the car isn’t compromised in either way over small or large bumps it feels far more assured than the standard setup. In terms of handling on smooth surfaces where you can push the car to the limits, it’s very predictable and progressive. The s2000 is renound to let go on the limit and be difficult to get back, but the setup inspires confidence and makes the car so much more enjoyable.

Overall

I honestly can’t fault the coilovers or the service I received. After 3000 road miles the coil over units still look like new after a quick jet wash, there is no corrosion or rust and all the collars still move extremely easily. The handling and confidence is superb and the adjustability means fine tuning can be achieved to suit specific needs.

I will go as far as saying you will not find better units for the money anywhere else. They suit some many peoples needs. For people on a budget who want a more assured car for track or spirited driving, people who want to go as low as possible whilst maintaining a level of ride comfort and most importantly, people like myself who are after both.

My geometry settings

I’ve included these as they do define a vehicles handling so feel it’s important to note them as people with different setups may experience different things.

Castor - 6deg (standard)
Toe front - Neutral (0)
Toe rear - +1.5mm toe in (standard +3mm)
Camber front - -2.5
Camber rear - -3.3

Few pictures of how the car sits.

And on 00 to 03 alloys

Old 10-25-2010, 10:05 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

That is beautiful mate!

Good write up too. May I ask if your running the usual shaft spacers/rack spacers/toe arms combo to get those geo settings?

I just await my meister R kit now!
Old 10-26-2010, 02:57 AM
Banned

I run driveshaft spacers although it's not a gospel that you need to, it's just advised so i thought i may aswell.

Thats the only thing i run, everything like toe arms, rack spacers are all standard
Old 10-26-2010, 04:24 AM

OOOOH... I'm getting excited!
Old 10-26-2010, 04:59 AM

Lots of camber
Old 10-26-2010, 05:08 AM
Banned

No more than MB runs, and my tyres still look like new after 3000 miles alot of motorway though.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:51 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

It's only to stop the possible vibrations caused by worn buckets right?

You can swap the buckets left to right though, correct?
Old 10-26-2010, 06:58 AM
Banned

Yep, you can do that, just more work.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your car looks really nice !

( though i think if i drove it you'd be needing new front wings at the very least! )

Old 10-26-2010, 04:39 PM
Banned

The front wings never touch i flared them to about a 30 degree angle in relation to stock. it get's driven quickly regularly

Quick Reply: Meister R Coilovers - My review after 3 months