S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

need a key copy for my s2000

Old 10-27-2010, 03:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EagleDon,Oct 27 2010, 02:28 PM
I had a key made at the dealership here in Springfield, MO and within 10 minutes, done. $22.55 plus tax (1.54), total $24.09.

I would trust the dealership for this one.
hmm ill call some dealerships and find prices...

the honda dealer ship i called didnt copy keys and didnt know what dealer ship did.
maybe it was a person thats new..
Old 10-27-2010, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think i paid like $325 at the dealer for a remote and key...
Old 10-27-2010, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by dirtykoala,Oct 27 2010, 03:52 PM
i think i paid like $325 at the dealer for a remote and key...
There are straight cut keys and sidewinder keys, the sidewinders are on the later models. You can get key blanks and remotes online relatively cheap. The keys do have chips and have to be programmed in order to work in your car. Obviously, the remotes need to be programmed, but that is easier and you can find instructions online (and from the vendors that sell the remote fobs).

Bottom line: the cost of getting a new key is not simply the cost of getting a blank and having it cut. It can cost upward of $250 if you're not careful. I lucked out and bought two sidewinder blanks online for $15 each and the dealer programmed both of them for $45. Based on what I've seen others do, that was a steal.

Remotes can be found for $20-30 each and you can program them yourself.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought keys were like $100, could only get them through honda, and you'd have to have the chip programmed in, i don't see how lowes could do it, unless the "chip" theory is a bunch of nonsense...
Old 10-27-2010, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by s2k aok,Oct 27 2010, 05:48 PM
i thought keys were like $100, could only get them through honda, and you'd have to have the chip programmed in, i don't see how lowes could do it, unless the "chip" theory is a bunch of nonsense...
The "chip" is not a theory - the keys have a computer chip that must be programmed to the car. While Lowe's may be able to cut the key, whether single cut or sidewinder, I'd be surprised if they could program it to work with the car. A locksmith, maybe, but I wouldn't expect Lowe's.

Having said that, the acid test is whether they can give you a key that actually starts the car. Warning!! Don't try to start the car with the newly cut key with the old key on the same ring. The old key will be close enough to validate the chip and the car will start even if the new key isn't programmed. Put the old key somewhere else and see if the new key will start the car by itself. If that works, then you can't argue with results.

But buying a key from the dealer is likely to be $200-300 (maybe less for the older keys). The advantage is that it will work.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:06 PM

for the past 5 years on this site (plus working and programming keys at a honda dealer myself) i have seen/read many many different things in regards to keys.

1) the key has a chip/transponder embedded in it. you cannot change the signal the key sends out. what is done when a key is programmed to a car is the ECU is told allow the signal from the key to start the car.

2) i have seen home depot, lowes, ace hardware, local auto parts stores (pep boys, autozone, murrays) advertise that they can cut sidewinder keys but never any one of these places say they can program honda keys.

3) the only way that i know of to program a honda key is with honda authorized engine scanners (HDS and Tablet). i've asked may Snap-On dealer and even their $8,000 top of the line modis scanner cannot program honda keys.

4) the price of buying, cutting, and programming a key can vary anywhere from $45-200 plus. this is depends on where you buy the key and who programs the key. some dealers will charge you for the key/cut and programing seperately. $45 for the key and 30 minutes minimum for the labor to program. few will program they key for you if you buy the key from them free of charge.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jeggy,Oct 27 2010, 07:06 PM
for the past 5 years on this site (plus working and programming keys at a honda dealer myself) i have seen/read many many different things in regards to keys.

1) the key has a chip/transponder embedded in it. you cannot change the signal the key sends out. what is done when a key is programmed to a car is the ECU is told allow the signal from the key to start the car.

2) i have seen home depot, lowes, ace hardware, local auto parts stores (pep boys, autozone, murrays) advertise that they can cut sidewinder keys but never any one of these places say they can program honda keys.

3) the only way that i know of to program a honda key is with honda authorized engine scanners (HDS and Tablet). i've asked may Snap-On dealer and even their $8,000 top of the line modis scanner cannot program honda keys.

4) the price of buying, cutting, and programming a key can vary anywhere from $45-200 plus. this is depends on where you buy the key and who programs the key. some dealers will charge you for the key/cut and programing seperately. $45 for the key and 30 minutes minimum for the labor to program. few will program they key for you if you buy the key from them free of charge.
Thanks for posting it was needed.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=EagleDon,Oct 27 2010, 05:28 PM] I had a key made at the dealership here in Springfield, MO and within 10 minutes, done.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:25 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jeggy,Oct 27 2010, 07:06 PM

.....stop giving out wrong info.... home depot does cut and copy chiped keys...except the newer hondas/acuras that have different style cut keys....
home depot cut and my programmed a key for my03 and it works perefectly....
Old 10-28-2010, 08:49 AM

made a key at my local honda dealership for 44.59 (program included)

Quick Reply: need a key copy for my s2000