S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Tail Light Condensation

Old 11-28-2010, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tail Light Condensation

Walked out today and noticed condensation in one of my tail lights for the first time. I searched, but didn't find any detailed solution. Someone mentioned baking the assembly to facilitate the separation... anyone with experience on this?

Thanks
Jared
Old 11-28-2010, 03:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Yea, I have experience on this.....broke 3 tail light lenses trying to separate them from the housing. I would never try to open up tail lights again!

Maybe try disconnecting the tail light, removing it from the vehicle and using a blow dryer on it to evaporate the condensation?

If that doesn't work, try to find one used and swap it out if you are really that concerned about it.

Scott-
Old 11-28-2010, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

used to have this problem on my civic before and used silica gel.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:13 AM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

I just repaired one of mine. Went for a drive in the rain and found water in the passenger light for the first time. I did not take mine apart.

Took it out baked it in the oven on top of a wood cutting board (so the light doesn't touch the metal grills). Remove all bulbs and connectors when you do this. I first set the temp at 170 degrees F and the water would not evaporate, then bumped it up to 220 degrees and it disappeared pretty quickly after that. Took it out and let it cool down.

I then used ultra black gasket maker (Permatex product) which you can find in most supply stores. Use the long nipple they provide and it turns into a caulking gun, sort of. Cut the nipple wide enough to cover the joint width that goes around the fixture. I put a layer of sealer along the entire perimeter of the joint that goes around the light fixture 360 degrees, filling in the joint completely. Smooth it over with your finger and wipe off any excess you might get too far away from the joint. It doesnt have to be pretty because you can't see it when the ligtht is reinstalled on the car, just smooth it over and going about 1/4 inch over each side of the joint to make sure you get coverage. I also filled in the connector holes for the pins of the two sections that join together, there are a handful of them around the fixture, just squeeze in some sealant untilt they are completely filled. Let it all dry and cure for a few hours and then reinstall the light. I washed the car the next day and it did not leak, so far so good. It was an easy fix for the most part, better than buying a new fixture.
The following users liked this post:
TKY (04-23-2020)
Old 11-29-2010, 05:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What did you do about the LED apparatus? I cant seem to get it out of the case?
Old 11-29-2010, 09:09 AM

I have this same problem but with my passenger side head light it annoys me everyday I'm kinda afraid to open it up though I don't wanna break anything ...wonder if i can do the same and just heat it up then put sealant around it
Old 11-29-2010, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by blkt1rod,Nov 29 2010, 02:09 PM
I have this same problem but with my passenger side head light it annoys me everyday I'm kinda afraid to open it up though I don't wanna break anything ...wonder if i can do the same and just heat it up then put sealant around it
can't hurt, worth a try, just keep the temps at a reasonable level so it doesn't melt.

Note that if you let it go for too long you will end up with white scale deposits in the light and then it is almost too late to protect it as they won't disappear. Try to do the repair as soon as you notice it.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Millions,Nov 29 2010, 10:36 AM
What did you do about the LED apparatus? I cant seem to get it out of the case?
not sure how that works, my lights were Ap1's.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION,Nov 29 2010, 02:48 PM
can't hurt, worth a try, just keep the temps at a reasonable level so it doesn't melt.

Note that if you let it go for too long you will end up with white scale deposits in the light and then it is almost too late to protect it as they won't disappear. Try to do the repair as soon as you notice it.
Thanks! gonna try and get it it cleared up by this weekend
Old 11-29-2010, 06:10 PM

someone suggested putting it in the refrigerator which is supposed to be a low humidity environment, but I baked mine out.

On the headlights I don't know how the ballasts come out, maybe you may have to remove them before baking, not sure if they can take some heat or not.

Quick Reply: Tail Light Condensation