The Windy City - Off Topic A place to relax and unwind. Off topic section of the UMW.

Chiro One scam?

Old 01-04-2011, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chiro One scam?

I had a friend recommend me to Chiro One and their chiropractors. It definitely felt like a scam.

http://milliondreammom.blogspot.com/2010/0...ml#comment-form

This blog is exactly what it's like, and my post is the Jan. 4th one.

Anyone ever been to the chiropractor before though?
Old 01-04-2011, 09:13 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,586 Likes on 1,903 Posts

My wife has gone for years and I started going several months ago. I was getting headaches pretty regularly so she (my wife) suggested I try it. The initial visit and subsequent visit was getting my history & x-rays, not dissimilar with the story you posted, but without the scare type tactics and selling me anything. I've been going once a month ever since, and I no longer get the headaches I used to.

I think there is certainly a benefit to it, but don't go unless something is wrong, otherwise it's just like going to an eye doctor...you'll leave with new glasses on.

Oh, as far as the company you posted about, I say stay far away. Find a local independent doc to see and not a chain.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you must see a chiropractor, I would recommend that you get an MRI before you have any chiropractic treatment.

In Michigan (and I can't speak for other states because I don't know), chiropractors are not licensed or allowed to treat more serious conditions such as disc herniations that often cause pain. They are only allowed to treat "subluxations". Unfortunately for patients, many chiropractors don't take the necessary radiographic studies to first determine if you have a more serious condition before initiating treatment. They often will at least take x-rays, but x-rays will only show the most serious herniations. X-rays will not show mild to moderate herniations, especially if a chiropractor is reading the x-rays himself as opposed to a neuroradiologist. X-rays also won't always show things like osteophytes which can then cause herniations. You could be left in a position where a chiropractor, without knowing anything more serious is wrong, attempts treatment only to worsen your condition.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't go to them. Do you have insurance?
Old 01-04-2011, 10:18 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I went to a GP who also did chiropractic. They were more a "wellness" office, and I found it very beneficial. They were real doctors, and could diagnose, prescribe, etc. However, they believed in promoting general wellness to prevent injuries and sickness before they happened.

Some of it sounds like voodoo, but I couldn't argue with the results.

Find a more reputable provider of the service.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There are alot of bad chiro's out there that give the profession a bad name; however, I do know people who have also had good results. It seems to me that there is also a broad range of chiropractic schools, many of which teach stuff that is voodoo. My dad, who is an MD, thinks that chiropractic is voodoo. As an attorney who has seen both sides personal injury work, I do not think very highly of them myself. That being said, they do offer some form of massage and physical therapy that can certainly be helpful in some situations.

It sounds like Pete was pretty lucky to find someone that actually went to medical school and did chiropractic also. If you can find a good and credible one, then you're pretty lucky. Nothings better than finding out what's really wrong though before people start treating you, make sure your treaters have exhausted the diagnostic tests that can be done, otherwise, they could be flying blind. Measure twice, cut once if you're building my house, but measure ten times if you're doing something to my body.