Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Importing a car from the USA

Old 01-30-2011, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Himura357,Jan 24 2011, 08:52 PM
They didn't ask for it at any time at the border, and at Canadian tire they didn't ask for anything at all. I just handed them my printed RIV form and they inspected the car and I was out the door.

In fact, when I called Canadian customs, they said they do their best to check the recall info themselves and only if there is any doubt do they make you bring the letter.

But then, its always different depending on who you get on the phone I guess. I could very well have been lucky.
I had actually got the Recall Clearance in the form of a VIN check and sent it in to RIV. Somehow RIV misplaced or misfiled it. They called me and said they wouldn't process the Form 2 unless I provided the recall clearance. Luckily I still had the original copy.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:14 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by racer484,Jan 30 2011, 09:30 AM
I had actually got the Recall Clearance in the form of a VIN check and sent it in to RIV. Somehow RIV misplaced or misfiled it. They called me and said they wouldn't process the Form 2 unless I provided the recall clearance. Luckily I still had the original copy.
This is good to know. Just goes to show how random it can be.

I wasn't even asked for it by anyone, at any time. I got my RIV sticker for the car in the mail last week.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by o'malley_808,Jan 24 2011, 08:17 PM
I like that autoTempest website didnt know about that one thanks!

Be prepared to face some men with small balls and large Egos when dealing with the American border patrol exporting your car. I've done this more times than I can count and every time they treat you like a criminal! Every time they seem to make you get out of your car and have to flex their muscles before stamping and clearing your title...
I don't get it, people say you must go to the American side of the border before going to the canadian side when importing a vehicle.

All you have to do is simply drive thru the Canadian border, don't waste your time with those ****s.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:27 AM

From what I understand, failing to export a car properly puts a flag on your name and information so that the next time you come in to the united states they can lay massive fines and impound your car. Not sure, could be even worse.

Also, I have heard some stories about them not letting continue the import process (form 1) if your car has not been exported correctly, although I cannot confirm. What I can confirm is that at the Canadian bord, they did ask to see my STAMPED title.

Besides, it takes all of 10 minutes to have them look at your car and stamp your title so you don't have to worry. Why not just do it the right way?
Old 02-02-2011, 05:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow. you really played with fire there. Do not mess/lie to border guys unless you want to risk loosing your new purchase and being prevented from entering the usa for a very long time. The only thing I heard that did not sound right is once you get into canada your temp usa permit is worth zero and you are supposed to have your car on a trailer or find a way to get a temp ontario permit. Also cars made in japan will have a 6.1% duty added at the border plus HST. that is likely why you think you got a tax on a tax. And the canadian tire inspection is not free, you paid it to the RIV folks ahead of time. The recall clearance letter is important to get the form two but the RIV folks have been very slow lately and they may have assisted you by looking it up themselves. Don't count on that though.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Unstopoulos,Jan 27 2011, 11:12 PM
I bought an 02 suzuka blue, 170k..... I picked it up from buffalo.

Well I had the fake bill of sale, but they found the original in my backpack in the car... moral of the story leave nothing, i mean nothing that can tie you to the actual price if you plan on lying. They are complete bitches, they will even go as far as looking at bank statements, advertisements etc.... UGH! the Americans were super pleasant to deal with.
Yep! Do not screw around with the border guys!

I tried to pull off the exact same thing back in '06. I bought a 2001 Ducati 748S for $6,500. When I got to the border, I went through customs and started to deal with a female agent. I was thinking, "sweet, she won't know the value", so I claimed $3k as I originally planned. As she was doing the paper work, some dude walks behind her, looks at the paper work, then looks at the shiny red 748s (only had 3,000 miles when I got it) in the back of my pick up truck. He then says to me, "Nice 748! Those Marchessini 5 spoke wheels came standard only on the S model, right?". I'm thinking, "I'm fooked". He looks at the price that I claimed, and that was it lol. He tells the other border agent to hold on while he went to look up the value. He did a search on craigslist, ebay, etc and said the bike is worth closer to $10k.

He then interrogated me for hours! I had a fake bill of sale, as well as a money order made out for $3k usd. The dude still didn't believe me, even after calling the previous owner! He was getting really pissed off because he had nothing on me. So he started searching the pickup truck that I had rented, we emptied our pockets, bags, everything... In ones of my pockets, I had a receipt from Scotiabank, showing that I withdrew $3,500 cash in US funds. Can you say busted? LOL. In the end, he said, "look, just come clean with me, otherwise I will impound the bike." I told him the truth, and that was it.

So yah, I was charged a 40% penalty! The charges could have been much more severe. They have the right to seize the vehicle and take as much time as they need to run a full investigation. Pending on the outcome, you could get your car back, or not.

Also, the past 5 years have been hell when going through airports. I used to travel a lot for work, and I was stopped and searched by customs every time I re-entered Canada. A few of the customs agents actually questioned me about the "incident that occurred back in 2006" lol. They keep it on record for approximately 7 years if I remember....

So moral of the story - don't lie about the value of your vehicle. A few hundred bucks of potential savings is not worth losing thousands more, your car altogether, or having years of hassle with Canadian customs
Old 02-02-2011, 07:19 PM

^

Old 02-03-2011, 03:52 AM

Great thread, worthy of being stickied.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:01 PM

Bumping. Had a few people PM me about importing but couldn't find this thread.

Also, they say you should attach the RIV sticker on the inner body in between the driver door but the damn sticker is way to big. Plus, it's not that sticky...

I just put mine in the rear centre console. Hidden, but still there.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:12 PM

I used Derek Collini at http://usautoimport.ca/

Quick Reply: Importing a car from the USA