S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Easy Painting Solution V2 wheels painted

Old 01-24-2011, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Easy Painting Solution V2 wheels painted

BIG UPDATE: Scroll to bottom - ill also have a video up, but i need to edit me fumbling with the camera.
Easy Durable Paint for Badge’s or Lugs – Big thanks to Shuluke!

Many of us try to keep the car looking as stock as possible but add our own style to it. Here is a great easy way to paint some simple things on your car. I have not actually tried this myself but wanted to get it out there for people to know about and what you guys think.
Again although I personally have not done it, Shuluke has done it to his badges and he said over driving for a while no rock chips as of yet. So here it is, all his information he shared with me, but a little more organized.

Here’s the product,;
Plasti Dip Spray

Here's a list of place's you can get it from; Click

And here’s the process;
Mask taped a section of where I wanted to paint.
Cleaned the area especially where I wanted the color to stay.
Sprayed a light layer over everything and let it dry for 30 min
Sprayed more layers leaving 30 min between each layer
Let it dry for 12 hours before driving, 4-8 hours before peeling.

Then took off the masking tape and slowly peeled off the excess.

UPDATE
FIRST OFF, the Trick to remove this spray, is simply rub.

So i finally pained them the other day and i've been driving around on them for a while. The product is pretty sweet. I took one set of an gave them a little sanding painted them and threw them back on. There was maybe 1% of a visual sign of stress on the face of the lugs to give it away. Heres a picture of the ones i took off to paint, torque them on, and took them back off.

Now i was far to lazy to take all of them off and sand them, so i just wiped them down and dried them off and sprayed like hell!! I was careful to not overspray so there wasnt any drips, let it dry for 30 minutes and repeated, i did a total of four sprays.
Within the first 4 hours, after the initial 30 minutes of drying ofcourse its really easy to take off so if your doing your badges, i suggest thats when you do it, somewhere at the end of 3-4 hours, because its still light and the paint in between the groves will come off very easy. Here are a couple pictures of my badge that i did on the car, i just taped and gave it a very quick sand of 300 grit.

Now at first i was worried what if it just comes off this easy theres no way its really durable....uh oh i have to sort that thread out... Lol. So i only took it off one set of wheels to see how just the lug nuts would handle. Its amazing how this stuff peels at first. Again, i was worried it be to easy.

I thought well...i could probably put a little bit of clear coat on this and it wont chip, but than i figured the removable aspect wont work, unless your able to find an edge of the PlastiDip that isnt covered in clear coat and it may still come off.

I didnt worry about it, and today has been four days, and they are still holding through great, i drove about 400 miles on them, and 3 hours through the rain. If paint does come off, buy another can!! I will paint my wheels once i get another another ride, it should be fine, especially with two sprays of clear coat, but for that im def. gunna take it off and sand slightly.

SO, im not sure yet when the best time to take the paint of the part you dont want, because you do not want to take paint off the lugs, but you want to be able to take it off without being there for hours. The most practical option is really to take it off within the first 4 hours but just to be very careful when taking/rubbing it off in the lug nuts groves.

So here are the pictures.
FIrst lets start with badges. For the parts that dont come off, take tweezers and slightly pull at the edges.

Now here are the lugnuts, first photo is off the wheel i just sprayed a couple times, waited an hour and than peeled, it was extremely soft, and i told you how easy it was to take a little paint of the lugnut while in the groves trying to remove the excess well this is what i mean. now some people are like eeeh theres gunna be black in the groves, not really if you do it within the first 4 hours most of the black will come off from the groves if you pull it with angle of the dip grove. Not all but alot.

Now here is how the wheel that i didnt touch except on that one obvious spot, not bad four the 200+ miles in 4 days

K1ng24 was brave enough to do it on his wheels, as of Feb 15, 2011 he's been driving it for almost 2 weeks, through cold weather and its still holding up great. You can also custom choose a color. If you google search however, they have white, black, red, blue and green which u can buy online.

BIG UPS SHULUKE, K1NG124

Also included this in first post
Old 01-24-2011, 02:04 AM

How durable would this be on lugs?
Old 01-24-2011, 02:24 AM

Im not sure, i have not tried it yet becuz the car has been hydro locked, but i sent him a PM. The thing is, its removable. So when it does chip, because it probably will, you can heat it up and peel it off and re apply it. The can is under 20 bucks with shipping...
Old 01-24-2011, 11:18 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

cool
Old 01-24-2011, 06:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ill post bigger pictures for people if they would like. I think it would rub off but dont worry its resprayable.. its real easy to use.

Shuluke
Old 01-24-2011, 06:37 PM

wouldnt mind a close up myself
Old 01-25-2011, 01:34 PM

Anyone wanting more pics of emblems just check out this thread I found

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-second-...equired-18.html

Doing my emblems as soon as it gets warm enough. Maybe wheels to.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for the record, i ordered this on ebay from summit racing. it was under 10 bucks shipped and in the box was a ton of stickers, catalog and a shick hydro 5 razor. it was a sweet deal ! haha
Old 01-25-2011, 06:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 01-25-2011, 06:32 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

fyi-----you can buy plastikote at both Lowes and Home Depot in the paint department