UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Radiator / AC Fans

Old 02-03-2011, 02:34 AM

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Radiator / AC Fans

Morning all,

Could someone clarify the following for me, I'll start with the symptoms first!

1. On ignition, the radiator fan (nearside) turns on regardless of temp and runs until ignition off.
2. Similarly, the A/C fan (offside) also turns on regardless if the A/C is in operation or not.

Initially I thought it was something simple like a bad thermoswitch for the radiator fan, but the A/C is confusing, unless it works in conjunction with the radiator fan when needed. As far as I can tell the A/C is not stuck on, as I can hear a relay engage when I press the A/C button. (Although no real rise in rev funnily enough)

Regardless, fans running all the time will be doing the car no good when warming up (Although it still warms up pretty quickly!), any thoughts guys?
Old 02-03-2011, 02:46 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Is the heater control set to screen? as the AC will come on in this position turn the switch to "feet or face". Is the AC switch light on?
Old 02-03-2011, 02:50 AM

All heating controls are set to off. I can hear a relay clicking on and off when engaging the A/C but no rise in revs which is odd.

I'm thinking either;

1. Thermoswitch is dodgy on radiator and the A/C issue is unrelated.

2. A/C is engaged constantly for some reason, causing both fans to spin regardless.

I'll see what happens if I pull the relay for the A/C. Any idea where this might live? Is the A/C fan operated by the A/C clutch at all? Out of interest, what should happen when the heating control is set to screen? Should the A/C light come on automatically? Mine certainly doesn't.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:30 AM

The service manual has a good set of diagrams that may help it's in the FAQ page 2 & here-

http://downloads.hondatech.info/Auto/Manua...ce%20Manual.zip

Also there is a diagnostic routine in the manual that you can run through.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Relays for the A/C Fan and the Radiator fan both have the same switched earth route from the Relays, thus I don't think its possible for one to run without the other. If you think about it both fans are really radiator fans, just one also has the A/C condesor too, so they act togther.

You just need to find whats causing them to stay on. Either a faulty radiator switch, or earth fault. Could be the ECM for the AC, but think thats less likely.

I would just start by disconnecting the wired connection to the radiator switch and see if both fans go off - if they do the switch is probably the fault and stuck closed - thats where my money is.

Its probably the compressor clutch relay you can hear clicking on and off - you wont hear the Fan one if its always on.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:16 AM

Thanks guys, I'll have a fiddle once I am out of the office,
Old 02-03-2011, 08:03 AM

Ha Ha, it is somthing simple!
Washed my S this afternoon and put the roof down without running the engine, guess what the fans came on so I guess it's normal, just that you don't normally notice them with the engine running.

It probably comes on for a while in case you've done a stop start with a hot engine and before the tempreture can be sensed as a safety measure.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:41 AM

Unfortunately Rich they stay on permanently, including starting the car on a frosty morning. Looks like they are not temp dependant hence the finger pointing at the thermo switch.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:00 AM

How many bars does the temp gauge get up to and how long does it take, dose it fluctuate at all once it reaches temperature?
Old 02-03-2011, 10:32 AM

It warms up relatively quickly to mid range on the gauge and holds steady. I didn't notice it much at first.

Of course when cold the thermostat is closed so it shouldn't affect it too much thinking about it, but dislike the the fact that the fans are operating when they shouldn't be.

Quick Reply: Radiator / AC Fans