S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Front License Plate ticket...

Old 02-04-2011, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Front License Plate ticket...

So back in thanksgiving weekend i went home to el paso tx from where im stationed in abilene tx. i was coming back to abilene when i saw 2 trooper cars chillin on the side of the road. Next thing you know there behind me and i got pulled over. They told me i didnt have my front plate in the front most part of the car. i told them it was on the windshield and that it was in the front. They said no and gave me a ticket. So i took the ticket and went home. i decided to by ricks2k front plate holder and permanently have my front plate on. i took pics and wrote a letter saying i had fixed it and explained that the statute doesnt say it has to be on the front most part of he vehicle. i sent it of hoping i would get a fix it ticket. so now to last week. i got a letter saying that the court had denied my package i have sent and i have to call to schedule a court date or mail in a fine of $150.

so here my question should i fight it? or pay the fine? if i do fight it i have to drive all the way to el paso, about a 6 hour drive. i dont mind it as i can see my family while i am there. if i do pay the fine will that affect my insurance a lot?

Cliff notes***
-got pulled over for front plate on windshield
-sent pkg saying it was fixed
-court said no, either pay or go to court
-what to do?
Old 02-04-2011, 07:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

non moving violation should not raise your premium
Old 02-04-2011, 07:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

License plate violations haven't been a fix-it ticket in about 2 years.

But look up the statutes and see if it say the plate must be on the front most potion, if it doesn't then definitely fight it.

So many of the rural areas have a fines system rather than a legal system
Old 02-04-2011, 07:18 AM

got pulled over last night for 43 in a 35 have my license plate in the window too, he said to "make sure it is mounted" so i'm going to rig up some window suction cups to cup it to my windshild, that'll be mounted real good. Also i got out of any ticket because i keep the OEM license plate frame in the trunk with bolts so i can say look pig, its fixed..
Old 02-04-2011, 09:44 AM

Get a retractable one, then just pop it out when you get pulled over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvM2dNzgHjI
Old 02-04-2011, 09:45 AM

I'm usually in the camp of, "don't put it on the windshield if you know it's illegal," but since you're trying to fix the problem, here's my constructive advice.

Go to court and fight it. You should pay whatever the "fix-it" fee is, but shouldn't have to pay the fine for failing to meet it after the fact.

If it's mounted in the front bumper, which is physically in front of the vehicle, you're compliant.

"Sec. 502.404. OPERATION OF VEHICLE WITHOUT LICENSE PLATE OR REGISTRATION INSIGNIA. (a) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a passenger car or commercial motor vehicle that does not display two license plates, at the front and rear of the vehicle, that have been:

(1) assigned by the department for the period; or

(2) validated by a registration insignia issued by the department that establishes that the vehicle is registered for the period."

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...htm/TN.502.htm
Old 02-04-2011, 11:25 AM

I had illegal tint on my last Honda for about 5 years and got hassled for it all the time and ticketed 3 times for it.

I have left my S2000 completely stock and legal because I was sick of being pulled over and stressing out every time I passed a cop!
Old 02-04-2011, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Wildncrazy,Feb 4 2011, 08:14 AM
License plate violations haven't been a fix-it ticket in about 2 years.

But look up the statutes and see if it say the plate must be on the front most potion, if it doesn't then definitely fight it.

So many of the rural areas have a fines system rather than a legal system
In Sacramento, it's still a fix it ticket. I just had to do it last month.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:15 PM

Wow. I didn't realize cops in TX were still pulling people over for this. I've been driving my S since 2005 without a front plate at all and have never been pulled over. It could be my proximity to LA, since they don't have front plates and travel our roads regularly. Our cops probably just don't look for it.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:27 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by spike109u,Feb 4 2011, 11:44 AM
Get a retractable one, then just pop it out when you get pulled over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvM2dNzgHjI
This.

Our former CO VintageMac has it and rigged it into his auxillary function on his alarm keyfob.
Works really slick.

Quick Reply: Front License Plate ticket...