S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Track Tires for a Noob

Old 02-04-2011, 11:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Track Tires for a Noob

Hey guys, I'm hoping to track my ap1 for the first time this year and need some new street tires on a set of wed tc105n's I have (17x9 all4). I know a really grippy tire is better for speed but is it ok for a noob? I'm specifically worried about the really sticky tires that suddenly loose grip at the limit without warning (or so I've read about). I was considering the Khumo Ecsta XS but a few reviews on Tirerack recommended the XS for track experienced drivers only, which is not me. Any suggestions or experiences would be appreciated.

I know stock is recommended for beginners but I just put snow tires on my oem rims and got a good deal on the weds.
Oh and I'm lowered on Eibach Springs if that helps.
B4 I track in I'll also install a front anti-swaybar and brake pads/ss-lines/fluid

Thanks
Old 02-04-2011, 11:48 AM

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Dunlop Z1 Star Spec gets my vote. Pretty stiff sidewall, very communicative, progressive breakaway. Very good grip. Go with 255/40R17 on all four corners.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:20 PM

I hear a lot of positive things about those, they just seem pricey to me. I guess I just have to accept the fact I'll be broke if I want to track.

How bad do your fenders look to fit the 255s, they pulled hard?

Thanks for the input
Old 02-04-2011, 12:26 PM

My fenders look fine. It really depends on how good a job the fender roller does. They need to be rolled and pulled a bit to get 255's to fit. Just tell the fender roller what width and offset you have, and he should be able to figure out how much work you need. You'll need to roll the rear as well, and do the bumper tab relocation. If money is a concern, just buy any tire you can comfortably afford. Being able to afford a track day is more important than getting the grippiest tire out there. The Hankook RS-3 is a fantastic deal, but has gobs of grip and not as much feedback. The Sumitomo HTR-III and Hankook Ventus V12 Evo are supposedly pretty decent tires, but I've never tried them.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by award78,Feb 4 2011, 01:20 PM
I hear a lot of positive things about those, they just seem pricey to me. I guess I just have to accept the fact I'll be broke if I want to track.

How bad do your fenders look to fit the 255s, they pulled hard?

Thanks for the input
The fender situation is going to depend on the rims, not so much the tires. What offset are your Wedsports? I'm 255's with just a roll, as are most people
Old 02-04-2011, 12:30 PM

^ +49. I have the exact same setup: 17x9 +49 with 255 all around. I needed a roll and slight pull. It still barely rubs on the right side, where it wasn't pulled as much. I am on OEM suspension, with J's S2 camber joint.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:50 PM

Yeah +49 One more question, what camber you running?

Thanks Again
Old 02-04-2011, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i started out on azenis then moved to star specs and now rs3s
Old 02-04-2011, 02:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've hit the track with the stock 050's, azenis 615's, Sumitomo HTR-III's, and nt-05's on my car, plus other tires on other cars. They were all fine for driving conservatively.

suddenly losing grip at the edge shouldn't be a problem because if this is your first track day, you likely won't know what edge is or how to stay on it. if you pass the edge, it's likely driver error versus a tire issue.

you should worry more about tires turning greasy and generally having no grip at all.

I personally wouldn't buy fancy grippy tires for the first track event. What if you only go to the track twice and actually daily drive your car 70 miles a day and want longer-lasting tires? You'll have wasted hundreds of dollars for nothing.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

I'm on the Kuhmo Ecsta XS now, got about 5k on them so far... and have to say they are a lighter weight tire then most, which sacrifices a little bit on the sidewall stiffness. Their grip is fantastic and I feel break away is progressive enough, no less then any other extreme summer tire. I can easily feel what the tire is doing on all four corners. The other nice thing about the tire is the price. Not a great choice for wet traction. But fine for DD. I think its a great choice for a competition tire that you can DD. There isnt that many non R comp choices out there in the sub 200 wear rating.

Quick Reply: Track Tires for a Noob