Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

Best Track Car?

Old 02-08-2011, 06:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Track Car?

I have a friend of mine who has quite a bit of money, and i do most of his cars work for him if i can... he wants to get a track car, something that he can fix up and have good handling, power, and reliability (relatively easy to work on), which of theses cars (these are what he likes. dont care about other cars) would be the best option? (rotary or not doesnt matter, just say for istance.... he has 35,000$ to spend, which of the 3, and why... just looking for opinions here.
RX7 (he loves these for the exotic look and accel)
MK4 Supra TT (Obvious reasons)
Subaru STI (AWD and launch control with a turbo is why he likes it)
Old 02-08-2011, 07:44 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 158 Likes on 147 Posts

I believe you may have posted in the wrong forum. You may want to ask in the Racing & Competition forum

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showforum=11
Old 02-08-2011, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my biased opinion I would go with RX7 given your choices.
Best looking out of the bunch, Light weight, high revving, excellent handling from the factory, rear wheel drive, one of the best stock Diff's imo, and has a lot of potential to do more. Both FC's and FD's work.

Supra: Great power, way to heavy.

STI: for a track car AWD and 4 door Although it is a very capable platform

Also as aashish mentioned Racing and Competition section can give more technical and experiential data and advice
Old 02-08-2011, 03:46 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Miata Spec. car.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:56 PM

he also likes s15 silvia, but i already explained how he would have to buy a 240sx and then buy conversion kits and engines... he didnt like that idea much, i think he will end up with the rx7 at the rate he is going
Old 02-08-2011, 04:58 PM

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

+1 for the rx7

light weight, great handling, fun to drive, and are reliable when built right
Old 02-16-2011, 05:44 AM

Forget the Subaru as a track car, I've always heard of various issues with them: wheel bearings, pad knock back, even the valve train skipping timing.

Purely track only? Spec Miata, easy. Cheap to buy, ridiculously cheap to run and maintain compared to other cars, and still very capable.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:02 PM

Out of those I'd say go with the RX-7.

I have a personal bias against AWD cars as track cars just because you'll never learn to become a better driver with them, or at least not nearly as much as if you got a RWD or even a FWD car.

I don't know much about the Supra Twin Turbo, but from what I hear it's too heavy to make a good track car. Sure it has a powerful engine so it probably will be fast, but it's not going to be enjoyable like a lightweight sports car.

And then we have the RX-7, which was one of the best handling cars of its time. Its lightweight, good power, and I love rotary engines so I gotta say this is the clear winner for me.

You might have to do some reliability mods to keep the engine from blowing though, since rotary engines don't like heat and turbos make heat..

I agree with the recommendations on the miata spec. I actually sometimes I kept my miata. The steering feel is better than the S2000's, and I could have used that money I spent on more seat time on a track. Which is really what I'd recommend your friend do too, spend money on more seat time instead of a nice car. Of course, when I start regretting I just listen to the 9k redline and I remember why I bought the car =]
Old 02-22-2011, 04:58 PM

since he has money not experience r35 gtr

when you figure the 2012 can hit 60 in 3 secs, peak corner over 1.15 G and has 4wd pretty much done

He can't own one for 35K but he can put the down and make alot of payments for that

if he just has to own it Miata and lots of mods

Time attack – the words evoke so many more, like blood, sweat and tears. It’s the ultimate time trial competition on a road course, in which high-budgeted, race-bred vehicles go against homemade commuter cars-turned-lap-eating monsters. Time attack is about as serious a motorsport as they come, and any competitor will tell you the same. Just ask Matt Andrews.

Andrews knows what it’s like to work from the bottom up, having taken a $1,700 non-running beater of a 1999 Mazda Miata and turning it into an aggressive time attack competitor. Don’t let his choice of a rough-around-the-edges platform give you the wrong idea – Andrew’s personal car history is dotted with performance cars, from AMG cars, Porsches, Toyota Supras, and of course quite a few Mazdas.

The build for the ’99 Miata was a methodical one towards perfection, a systematic progress from point A to B, yielding results that have put Matt in major contention for several titles in the Modified RWD class.

The exterior of the Miata is an especially bold blend of carbon fiber and aero, helping the roadster look like a mini RX-7. Weight was trimmed to a ridiculous 1,995 lbs. (minus the driver) through the use of a Racing Beat Type II front nose and Axis Power’s dry carbon-fiber magic, namely a lightweight hood, hardtop, front fenders, doors, trunk lid and rear bumper cover. In addition, an APR front splitter, APR GT-200 rear wing, and AWR racing rear splitter were also added to provide downforce.

AWR was brought in to stiffen up the chassis and make sure Andrews was protected. They seam welded the passenger compartment, installed a custom 18pt. cage, gusseted the chassis, lightened the body and conducted all the aluminum work.

Suspension-wise, Flyin’ Miata urethane bushings were added in addition to Flyin’ Miata rear top hats. A V8 Roadsters tubular front sub-frame was used, which featured updated suspension pickup points. Robert Fuller of RobiSpec installed and tuned the triple adjustable mono-tube coil-over dampers with external reservoirs and KW helper and main springs.

Helping this Miata fly is a Garret GT2871R turbo-fed Flyin’ Miata 2.0L stroker engine built to spin to 7,500 revolutions. The engine block was built using a Moldex crank, pistons and rods, with the head featuring Flyin’ Miata 1mm oversized intake and exhaust valves. Stopping the motor from detonating are 750cc injectors fed by a Walbro 255lph fuel pump and everything controlled by a Hydra ECU.

The turbo is fed via Boostlogic tubular manifold and cooled off by a Snow Performance water injection kit comprised of a Stage 2 Boost Cooler, Safe Injection System and 2.5-gallon reservoir. The centrifugal pump breathes out through a custom three-inch turbo exhaust system.

To keep the engine running as cool as possible, AWR with the help of Ron Davis Radiators fabricated and installed the ducting, air-to-oil cooler, coolant lines, surge tank, v-mount intercooler and radiator. Andrews himself is cooled by a “Cool Suit” in-car driver cooling system.

The Miata makes 340 rear wheel-horsepower on 16psi of boost and with 100-octane fuel. Making sure the power transfers to the wheels effectively is a Quaife custom gearbox with modified gears mated to a Flyin’ Miata flywheel and ACT clutch. In the rear, AWR prepped the differential with a Cusco 1.5-way clutch pack to keep the car pushing consistently through the turns. Slowing her down comes in the form of a Good-Win Racing big brake kit with Motul RBF600 brake fluid.

Seated in Racetech 4009 seats and strapped in with Schroth six-point HANs-specific harness, Andrews has easy access to all of his car’s vitals, thanks to the AIM Sports Pista dash with GPS data logging. The unit is integrated through a serial connection to his Hydra Nemesis standalone ECU, another contribution by Flyin’ Miata. HB Speed tuned the engine management.

For their efforts, man and incredible machine have a ’08 record littered with first-place finishes, most notably in the Redline Time Attack series. His accolades include:

1st place, Modified RWD
Redline: Time Attack! Round 1 2008, Buttonwillow Raceway Park

1st place, Modified RWD
Redline: Time Attack! Round 2 2008 Gateway International Raceway

1st Place, Modified RWD & Overall Modified
Redline: Time Attack! Round 3 2008 Miller Motorsports Park

1st Place, Modified RWD
Redline: Time Attack! Round 4 2008 Auto Club Speedway

1st Place, Modified RWD
Source Interlink Super Lap Battle Qualifier, Willow Springs Raceway

Future plans for the Miata include what Andrews says will be the last major issue involving aerodynamics. He tells us that AWR is planning on developing a custom flat bottom and rear diffuser package to provide a better drag coefficient, plus a few other things he couldn’t tell us. One thing we can bank on is that Andrews’ RobiSpec Flyin’ Miata Mazda roadster will likely continue to provide beat downs in M-RWD – challengers, consider yourselves warned.

MODIFICATION SUMMARY

ENGINE

Flyin’ Miata-spec 2.0L stroker BP motor
Moldex crankshaft
Moldex pistons
Moldex connecting rods
Flyin Miata headwork on 2001 BP head
Supertech 1mm oversized intake and exhaust valves
Flyin Miata retainers
Flyin Miata adjustable cam gears
Garret GT2871R turbocharger
Boostlogic equal-length tubular manifold
3” turbo-back exhaust system
Walbro fuel pump
750cc fuel injectors
Hydra Nemesis standalone engine management
Engine tuning by HB Speed
AWR & Ron Davis Radiators engineered cooling systems, including ducting, coolant routing, V-mount, surge tank, radiators, air-to-oil cooler
Snow Performance water injection kit
Cool Suit in-car driver cooling system
ACT clutch
Flyin’ Miata flywheel
Quaife custom transmission w/taller 5th gear & stronger gears
AWR-prepped differential w/Cusco 1.5-way clutch pack

SUSPENSION

RobiSpec KW custom triple-adjustable race shocks w/remote canisters
Flyin’ Miata front anti-sway bar
Flyin’ Miata urethane bushings
V8 Roadsters tubular front sub-frame w/updated suspension pickup points
Flyin’ Miata rear top hats