Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DIY: Bleeding the cooling system How to burp/bleed/get air out of system

#1 User is offline   S2KRo. 

• Group: Guest

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:29 PM

I purchased a new mishimoto radiator after my stock one cracked, and after replacing I went ahead and did the DIY on how to do a flush that i found on here. Everything went perfect and I was on my way to my gf's house. The next day I was on the interstate on my way home and i notice my temp gauge goes up from the usual 3 bars to 4 bars...then to 5 bars! I shut the car off immediately, pulled over and looked under the hood to find radiator fluid sprayed everywhere...i go to the closest auto parts and buy some 50/50 and drive home. *Note when i turned the heater on it was NOT blowing hot.

After hours and hours of researching i narrow it down to 3 possible problems.
1) I have air trapped in the system that isnt getting pushed out.
2) My thermostat is bad
3) I have a bad head gasket

Obviously im going to start with the cheapest option that makes the most sense. The only problem is I couldnt find a DIY on burping the S2k. Apparently Xviper had a write up but it mysteriously disappeared, so i followed the instructions provided by Billman250 and did my own basic write up.

Instructions:

#2 User is offline   chuhsi 

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:34 PM

thank you!

#3 User is online   Billman250 

• Mod/Sponsor

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderator
  • Interests:S2000 Service, Repair, modifications, LIFETIME TCTs

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:43 PM

:) you are off on my method. you are getting the car too hot. If done the way I posted, no coolant will come out and get all over. Only air.

I run it to 3 bars, plus one minute.

dont rev the engine. it pushes the air upstream. idle it.

#4 User is offline   AlX Boi 

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:33 PM

The issue in this thread could be the culprit: http://www.s2ki.com/...opic=666773&hl=.

Mishimoto and Koyo radiator caps have been known to be faulty.

#5 User is offline   S2KRo. 

• Topic Starter

Posted 11 February 2011 - 02:42 PM

Thanks i just finished reading the thread. EXACT problems I had when i installed the radiator. Its been about 2 weeks and so far I dont have any more problems after the bleed, but if it happenes again i know for sure its the radiator cap!

#6 User is offline   suzuka-blue-s2k 

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:48 PM

Thanks for the write up. I just got my radiator and stuff replaced by a shop and my temp guage went to 4 bars, and i'm not getting any hot air at all. I'll try this today and see if it works. :thumbup:

#7 User is offline   LukeS2K4EVA 

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:25 AM

S2KRo., on 08 February 2011 - 02:29 PM, said:

I purchased a new mishimoto radiator after my stock one cracked, and after replacing I went ahead and did the DIY on how to do a flush that i found on here. Everything went perfect and I was on my way to my gf's house. The next day I was on the interstate on my way home and i notice my temp gauge goes up from the usual 3 bars to 4 bars...then to 5 bars! I shut the car off immediately, pulled over and looked under the hood to find radiator fluid sprayed everywhere...i go to the closest auto parts and buy some 50/50 and drive home. *Note when i turned the heater on it was NOT blowing hot.

2) My thermostat is bad

Obviously im going to start with the cheapest option that makes the most sense. The only problem is I couldnt find a DIY on burping the S2k. Apparently Xviper had a write up but it mysteriously disappeared, so i followed the instructions provided by Billman250 and did my own basic write up.

Instructions:

Where have the DIY instructions gone. I need to bleed my system as well but this post is blank?

#8 User is offline   unlewser 

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:53 PM

LukeS2K4EVA, on 18 May 2011 - 02:25 AM, said:

S2KRo., on 08 February 2011 - 02:29 PM, said:

2) My thermostat is bad

Instructions:

Where have the DIY instructions gone. I need to bleed my system as well but this post is blank?

follow billmans instructions. They are posted all over the place.

Idle the car till it gets to 3 bars for AP1, wait 1 minute after that, shut the car off.

Then open and close the bleeder valve next to the fuel rail.

do it a couple times and you should be good to go.

#9 User is offline   LukeS2K4EVA 

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:58 AM

Ive been searching for Billmans instructions and cant find them.Can someone post a link to it.

But that sounds easy enough. A picture of the bleeder valve will help alot though.

Thanks

#10 User is offline   LukeS2K4EVA 

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:13 AM

Ok i found the instructions! And I got pics of both valves from the instruction manual

My only question is must I leave the radiator cap on throughout the process?

#11 User is offline   chino101 

• View gallery
  • Group: Member

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:19 AM

Billmans250's procedure can be found in the following link:

http://www.s2ki.com/...st__p__10520519

Billman250, on 13 May 2007 - 12:26 AM, said:

Engine cold:

To start....suck on the rear pipe bleeder on the firewall (rubber cap) with a turkey baster till you get coolant. Once you get coolant to the tip, cap it off quick with the oem cap.

Make sure the rad is full.

Heat on high.

Start the engine, and hold it at 2500 till you hit 3 bars on the temp gauge. Shut it off and let it cool, you'll be able to top it off again.

Posted Image Posted Image

Ads by Google   S2KI

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users