S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

DIY: Bleeding the cooling system

Old 02-08-2011, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down DIY: Bleeding the cooling system

I purchased a new mishimoto radiator after my stock one cracked, and after replacing I went ahead and did the DIY on how to do a flush that i found on here. Everything went perfect and I was on my way to my gf's house. The next day I was on the interstate on my way home and i notice my temp gauge goes up from the usual 3 bars to 4 bars...then to 5 bars! I shut the car off immediately, pulled over and looked under the hood to find radiator fluid sprayed everywhere...i go to the closest auto parts and buy some 50/50 and drive home. *Note when i turned the heater on it was NOT blowing hot.

After hours and hours of researching i narrow it down to 3 possible problems.
1) I have air trapped in the system that isnt getting pushed out.
2) My thermostat is bad
3) I have a bad head gasket

Obviously im going to start with the cheapest option that makes the most sense. The only problem is I couldnt find a DIY on burping the S2k. Apparently Xviper had a write up but it mysteriously disappeared, so i followed the instructions provided by Billman250 and did my own basic write up.

Instructions:
Old 02-08-2011, 10:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thank you!
Old 02-08-2011, 12:43 PM

Received 1,244 Likes on 759 Posts

you are off on my method. you are getting the car too hot. If done the way I posted, no coolant will come out and get all over. Only air.

I run it to 3 bars, plus one minute.

dont rev the engine. it pushes the air upstream. idle it.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The issue in this thread could be the culprit: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...pic=666773&hl=.

Mishimoto and Koyo radiator caps have been known to be faulty.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:42 AM

Thanks i just finished reading the thread. EXACT problems I had when i installed the radiator. Its been about 2 weeks and so far I dont have any more problems after the bleed, but if it happenes again i know for sure its the radiator cap!
Old 02-11-2011, 11:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the write up. I just got my radiator and stuff replaced by a shop and my temp guage went to 4 bars, and i'm not getting any hot air at all. I'll try this today and see if it works.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by S2KRo.
I purchased a new mishimoto radiator after my stock one cracked, and after replacing I went ahead and did the DIY on how to do a flush that i found on here. Everything went perfect and I was on my way to my gf's house. The next day I was on the interstate on my way home and i notice my temp gauge goes up from the usual 3 bars to 4 bars...then to 5 bars! I shut the car off immediately, pulled over and looked under the hood to find radiator fluid sprayed everywhere...i go to the closest auto parts and buy some 50/50 and drive home. *Note when i turned the heater on it was NOT blowing hot.

2) My thermostat is bad

Obviously im going to start with the cheapest option that makes the most sense. The only problem is I couldnt find a DIY on burping the S2k. Apparently Xviper had a write up but it mysteriously disappeared, so i followed the instructions provided by Billman250 and did my own basic write up.

Instructions:

Where have the DIY instructions gone. I need to bleed my system as well but this post is blank?
Old 05-18-2011, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by LukeS2K4EVA
Originally Posted by S2KRo.' timestamp='1297193361' post='20219847

2) My thermostat is bad

Instructions:

Where have the DIY instructions gone. I need to bleed my system as well but this post is blank?
follow billmans instructions. They are posted all over the place.

Idle the car till it gets to 3 bars for AP1, wait 1 minute after that, shut the car off.

Then open and close the bleeder valve next to the fuel rail.

do it a couple times and you should be good to go.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:58 PM

Ive been searching for Billmans instructions and cant find them.Can someone post a link to it.

But that sounds easy enough. A picture of the bleeder valve will help alot though.

Thanks
Old 05-18-2011, 11:13 PM

Ok i found the instructions! And I got pics of both valves from the instruction manual

My only question is must I leave the radiator cap on throughout the process?

Quick Reply: DIY: Bleeding the cooling system