• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

2nd Gear Grind Fix Anyone ever done this?

#1 User is offline   A 2 

• News Editor

• View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:59 PM

I drive very slowly until the car warms up. I avoid trying to grind gears, but it keeps happening to me. More on the Si than in the S2000.

8th Civic has a DIY, to adjust the clutch and fix the grind. As I was scrolling through our forums I also came across the following links:

http://www.s2ki.com/...howtopic=847071

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry5612837

Has anyone on here ever tried this? What would be the pros & cons of doing this?

I have always been led to believe that a clutch must have a little play. Doing this fix may take care of the grind but leave you with absolutely no play in the clutch.

Your thoughts and opinions are welcome.

#2 User is offline   markpenske 

• View gallery
  • Group: Guest
  • Interests:motorsports (F1, CART, ALMS, motoGP, NeckCar, r/c racing.<br>Selling, trading, collecting racing memborbilia (Watkins Glen)

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:28 PM

I was planned on at least looking at adjusting the clutch play this spring.
I also read that changing the clutch fluid might help, but I have no idea how to do this.
My 2nd gear grind seems to go away after 5-15 mintues driving (depending on the temperature)
Watkins Glen racing collectibles http://search.ebay.c...ZmarksQ2dracing

#3 User is offline   A 2 

• Topic Starter
  • News Editor

• View gallery

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:27 PM

I agree the grind goes away after the car has warmed up. When running cold I try to be extra cautious going from first to second and never rush the gear lever.

Sometimes I'm led to think it's probably my technique that is faulty. I always depress the clutch pedal fully, but when I hear a grind, my next thought is "did I press it in fully or not??"

#4 User is offline   shoes59 

• Interests:Cars

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:32 AM

I have the same problem. Seems to be an ap2 issue. This spring I'm replacing the fluid and having an ap1 flywheel installed along with other stuff. Hopefully that will eliminate the grind.
Posted Image

04 Civic Used By Aid
05 SC'd S2000, 315 whp - Stored Till Son Inherits In 2018

#5 User is offline   Bugsy 

• Group: Member
  • Interests:TypeS clone: CR: Lip, wheels, wing, seats.
    Mods: S-Factor Splitter, LHT Brake Stopper, VGS wheel, Hard Dog U-Bend bar, Custom belt retractor covers, Fujitsubo Legalis-R, BYS low rail, Pass outlet, Top Down Mod, Motorized front plate, Berlina HT, AP1 Ti shift knob. Premium Access Mats.

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:45 AM

Had the 2nd gear grind if I got frisky going 1st to 2nd in a big hurry ONLY in my old 03.
The 07 had been perfect...
I do think the new MTL is good stuff.
"If one man can be allowed to determine for himself what is law, every man can. That means first chaos, then tyranny."

Supreme Court Justice Felix Frankfurter

#6 User is offline   A 2 

• Topic Starter
  • News Editor

• View gallery

Posted 20 February 2011 - 12:27 PM

Replaced the MTF in the Si end of November. Grind still happens when I'm in a hurry.

Last night when I went out in the Si, I made sure each time I pressed the clutch in, it was all the way. Grind was still happening on the 1-2 shift when in a hurry.

With the S, it is smoother and not much of an issue once the engine warms up.

I think I'll try that fix described on the Si when its warmer and see if I like it any better. Must add though that I'm not comfortable moving the friction point way up to the top.

#7 User is offline   zzziippyyy 

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:52 PM

I have never experienced this 2nd gear grind issue :shrug:

FTR I run Honda MTF and change it twice annual whether I drive 5 miles or 5000 miles a season.
S2000 is nothing so much as a legend in its own time. If you don't like it, than you haven't driven it hard enough.

Honda is dead.  ...and it's going to take nothing less than Jesus standing outside the tomb asking for it to come out for it to be resurrected.
The S2000 was the last good design from Honda in almost 2 de

#8 User is offline   NNY S2k 

• View gallery

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:09 PM

^^^^Seems like overkill to me, but if it works for you...l
2002 Suzuka Blue: OEM Hardtop, OEM Front/Rear Spoilers, Black Chrome badges, Eibach Pro Kit, Enkei RPF1
Drives:
Mohawk Trail: April 2004, Green Mountain Tour: July 2004, Sept 2007, Lake George Vintage Gathering: Oct 2005, Spring Fling: Watkins Glen, NY: June 2006, Glens Falls, NY: May 2015, Vermont S2K Day: Sept 2006, Big Zip Drive: 2011, 2012, North Country Solidarity Drive: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, Fall Harvest, Clifton Park NY: Sept 2014
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   zzziippyyy 

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:17 PM

^^^^Seems like overkill to me, but if it works for you...l

No 2nd gear grind here ;) and whats $10 and 10 minutes while Im doing an oil change? as much as I don't get all excited about my S and mods etc on here I will say that you will be hard pressed to find a better maintained one anywhere.

Not that you guys don't maintain yours as I know most of you do. :)

#10 User is offline   Mark355 

• View gallery

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:35 PM

The only problem with my 2nd gear is it will sometimes, albeit rarely, move itself into neutral with a loud popping noise upon deceleration below 20 mph. I've learned to just hold the lever in place in 2nd at low speeds. I run Honda MTFv2. Never experienced a grind, but I'm as cautious with my upshifts as I am with going down in the gearbox. Revmatching in both directions is a must otherwise the tranny is taking a beating.

Since the difference in ratios in the largest, changing gear from 1st to 2nd involves a significant drop in rpm. Maybe shifting slower into 2nd when the tranny is cold will alleviate the grind?
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   zzziippyyy 

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:55 PM

Aashish just throwing this in here. Do you skip gears when you shift? Either up or down?

#12 User is offline   Bugsy 

Mods: S-Factor Splitter, LHT Brake Stopper, VGS wheel, Hard Dog U-Bend bar, Custom belt retractor covers, Fujitsubo Legalis-R, BYS low rail, Pass outlet, Top Down Mod, Motorized front plate, Berlina HT, AP1 Ti shift knob. Premium Access Mats.

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:14 PM

Aashish just throwing this in here. Do you skip gears when you shift? Either up or down?

Old wives tale re skipping shifts.
Don't fall for that one zip.
I've repaired tons of transmissions, and it's either bent forks, damaged detents, bad dogs, or worn or slipping syncro cones/ring.
S2000 had a pretty stout tranny. The cones have been updated a few times to address the graunch. The attempt is to get second gear output to spin up faster as you come out of the neutral gate. I think they got it licked.

#13 User is offline   Conedodger 

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:20 PM

I get 2nd gear grind on my AP1 only when the tranny is cold and I'm rushing the shift. Honda MTFv2 has helped a lot. I change mine once a year.
Mark 95 STR

Posted Image

#14 User is offline   zzziippyyy 

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:32 PM

Old wives tale re skipping shifts.
Don't fall for that one zip.
I've repaired tons of transmissions, and it's either bent forks, damaged detents, bad dogs, or worn or slipping syncro cones/ring.
S2000 had a pretty stout tranny. The cones have been updated a few times to address the graunch. The attempt is to get second gear output to spin up faster as you come out of the neutral gate. I think they got it licked.

Thanks for the info Jeff, on S2KI there are many threads addressing skipping shifts and purported damage from doing so to the synchros but I would not know first hand I'll take your word for it as you have first hand experience.

#15 User is offline   A 2 

• Topic Starter
  • News Editor

• View gallery

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:48 PM

Found this on the other forum:

Here is the Link

"I am the woodwork and I work for American Honda.
I am writing this to hopefully help S2000 owner/drivers understand the importance of shifting properly to minimize the damage to 2nd gear synchronizer rings. I'm not the Warranty Police but will from time to time quote warranty policy when I read things like "Shifting without the clutch".

My overall objective being in the woodwork is to keep S2000 owners from hurting themselves and hurting their cars. Everytime a transmission or engine gets replaced in an S2000 I get the part. I've seen a lot of damaged transmissions.

Before flaming me please read this and keep an open mind.

You have an engine that revs to 9000 RPM. That means that the transmission mainshaft and clutch disk are also revving to 9000 RPM. When you disengage the clutch (push in the pedal) to shift from first to second the engine and the transmission are disconnected. The engine will slow down from compression when you lift off the throttle. The mainshaft of the transmission is not connected to the engine any more so it is freewheeling in the transmission. Given enough time the mainshaft will slow down but not as fast as the engine. The countershaft is connected to the rear wheels and the speed stays constant during the shift.

When you shift into 2nd gear the synchronizer of the 2nd gear must SLOW DOWN the transmission mainshaft to match the speed that the engine WILL be going when the shift is completed and the clutch is engaged.

The transmission mainshaft and the clutch disk together weigh 19.75 lbs. (not including the pressure plate and flywheel that are connected to the engine) When you shift from 1st to 2nd at 9000 RPM the engine speed drops to 5900. That means that the little brass synchronizer rings have to push on the 2nd gear to slow the mainshaft from 9000RPM to 5900 RPM. It not only has to slow down the mainshaft it has to do it in the time that it takes you to shift. So if you have a tendency to shift fast you may be making the sleeve blow past the synchro rings before it has a chance to do it's job and it will smash into the 2nd gear.

The early '00 cars needed a little change to the sleeve to make the synchros work a little harder. That is what the new parts in the service bulletin are for. Cars after VIN YT006255 already have the new parts. Grinding in a car produced later than 6255 is possible if the synchros have been damaged and now are not able to slow down the mainshaft properly.

Shifting without the clutch, or, shift too quickly and not letting the synchros do their job may permanently damage the gear, sleeve and synchros and make the 2nd gear grind more often.

It makes sense that if shifting at 6000 makes the engine speed drop to 4300 RPM, (1700) into 2nd gear then you should give the 2nd gear synchro twice the time to do the shift from 9000 RPM.

If your car does grind once in a while you may not want the transmission removed, disassembled and a new 2nd gear put in. If it does it quite often, show it to the dealer and have it replaced.

If you hesitate for another 1/2 second while putting constant pressure on the shifter while the 2nd gear synchro does it's job, I'll bet many of your cars would not grind any more. Try it. You might like it.

Added 5-2-03:
Skipping gears:
I have seen many 6th gear sleeves that have been damaged.

The typical story is this: Stop light, 1st gear, engage the clutch, rev to 9,000 RPM, shift quickly to 2nd, rev to 9,000 RPM, same into 3rd, look down and find the car going 80 MPH on a city street and the engine noise is screaming, recognize that any cop is going to write a ticket. Shift to 6th quickly to lower engine noise.

Dragging the mainshaft speed down from 9,000 RPM to 4,000 when going from 3rd to 6th takes time. 6th gear has only a single synchro ring and it doesn't like it. It will grind if you are shifting hard and fast. By shifting hard the synchro ring does not have time to slow down the main-shaft and the sleeve will slip over the synchro and grind the gear. If the sleeve is ground enough in 6th then it will not slide the other way to engage 5th.

So if it is hard to get your car into 5th or 6th it may be because the sleeve is being damaged by skipping gears. Hope this makes sense. "

#16 User is offline   A 2 

• Topic Starter
  • News Editor

• View gallery

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:50 PM

I drive like this. Is this why I have the grind :LOL:

It is supposedly the "PROPER" way to shift.

====
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMD1YZSxyjo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMD1YZSxyjo[/URL]

#17 User is offline   Bugsy 

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:01 PM

Now THAT skipping scenario makes sense, but wow, wide open 3rd then slam to 6th ?
Wow. Just wow

#18 User is offline   Mark355 

• View gallery

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:53 PM

I drive like this. Is this why I have the grind :LOL:

It is supposedly the "PROPER" way to shift.

Painful to watch. Dude thinks he's on Best Motoring.

#19 User is offline   Neutered Sputniks 

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:57 PM

Are you sure you're pulling directly back on the shifter? If you're pulling to one side or the other, you'll get some grinding. Work on your technique, and stop the 9k (or 8k) shifting.

Or double clutch.

Mark, you're not fully engaging 2nd gear. I've done that too - happens when I'm on my way home from work and tired and not paying attention and my shifts are getting sloppy.
Posted Image

Triple-H: "to try and describe the roads "here" would be like trying to define the last digit of Pi. "

#20 User is offline   NH_s2k_Guy 

• View gallery
  • Interests:2005 Honda S2000 Silverstone, Black-Red interior

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:08 PM

:iagree:

I've actually had issues with mine popping out of 1st gear and it's been
my fault for being sloppy and not fully engaging the gear.
My Rides:
2005 S2000 Silverstone Metallic, Black/Red with Vortech V3 polished supercharger, Comp Stage 2 clutch, RC Engineering 750cc fuel injectors, FMIC, Walbro fuel pump, Greddy EManage Ultimate with Boomslang harness, AEM Boost and Wideband gauges, A-pillar mount, Invidia Q300 dual catback exhaust, Random Technology catalytic converter, machined flywheel, dyno'ed at 387whp and 260 ft/lbs torque 3/28/11, 18" SSR Professor SP1 Super Black Coat wheels with Dunlop Direzza ZII tires, StopTech slotted rotors and stainless brake lines with Hawk HPS pads, OEM Wing Spoiler, OEM Front Lip, Downforce CF front splitter, Voodoo shift knob, Redline Tuning hood dampers, Mugen radiator cap and brake reservoir cover, S2000 etched windscreen, CF cooling plate, powder coated calipers, seat locks, top down mod, bumper and keyhole plugs, LED license plate and trunk lights, 20% rear window tint, black floor mats with red S2000 embroidery, S2000 sun visor plaques. My Gallery
ICE: Pioneer Premier HU, Polk Audio MMC6500 speakers, JL Audio Slash V2 300/2v2 amp, Sirius Starmate Replay receiver, Modifry DCI, Monster 300/400 cabling, Garmin Nuvi 250W GPS, Dynamat.
2013 Hyundai Elantra SE Coupe, Volcanic Red, loaded...for those foul weather days! Pictures
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#21 User is offline   A 2 

• Topic Starter
  • News Editor

• View gallery

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:07 PM

Painful to watch. Dude thinks he's on Best Motoring.

Turns out he responded to flames in such a bad way after people saw the video, that he was banned for a while from 8thCivic.

In any case I dont launch my car and am as ginger as can be to while going first to second. I'll have to be more wary though. Surely with the passage of time this will become a non-issue.

As far as popping out of gears goes. Happened on the Si first winter even though it was built after Honda had discovered and corrected the issue in older VINs. That 3rd gear pop-out has since disappeared as the tranny has broken-in.

On the S I had it pop out of 3rd once, but it was because I had pushed it with half the usual effort .

Dave - Skip shifting is perfectly ok if done the right way is what I've been told. Jackie Stewart recommends it in his book. Never skip shift on the way up but do a 5 to 3 if the corner (not this :corner: ) calls for it.

#22 User is offline   Crazy_Schizo 

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:58 AM

I had the 2nd gear grind till I changed the transmission fluid about 3 years into ownership. The grind (almost) disappeared.

Had the transmission fluid changed again last spring. It came back with a vengeance. Not only does it grind, but occasionally when cold, the transmission will literally pop out of 2nd gear. It is the only gear that does this.

Its all about the transmission fluid I think.
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

View PostTriple-H, on 08 March 2012 - 10:19 AM, said:

I prefer the Hyundai over the Kia...

Current Rides:
-2005 S2000 (minus clutch delay valve, plus some Comptech and audio goodies)
-2010 Nissan Frontier (also plus some exhaust and audio goodies)
-2012 Hyundai Sonata Turbo (bone stock)

#23 User is offline   markpenske 

• View gallery
  • Interests:motorsports (F1, CART, ALMS, motoGP, NeckCar, r/c racing.<br>Selling, trading, collecting racing memborbilia (Watkins Glen)

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:45 AM

I changed to the newer version of Honda's MT fluid. No change, same grind when cold.

#24 User is offline   Crazy_Schizo 

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:02 AM

I wish wish wish wish wish wish wish wish wish I knew what fluid was used when I had it changed the first time. I know it made a huge difference.

#25 User is offline   nnausmann 

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:10 AM

If you order new synchros/gear sets for you AP1 they all supersed to the AP2 carbon coated syncros. I wish gearspeed would start selling them.

Ads by Google   S2KI

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users