S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Custom Engine Heat Shield

Old 03-21-2011, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Engine Heat Shield

So i am putting the final touches on my engine bay and plan to make my own heat shield similar to this one. http://www.shop.moddiction.com/Moddi...shield-011.htm

The only difference will be that it will extend a little higher probably a little past the vtec solenoid. It will also extend out further towards the passenger side to block more of the header area. No this will not make much of a difference its mainly for a cleaner look just like all the other heat shields like this.

I will be making some cardboard models later today to come up with the design i am looking for. I am not sure if i want it mounted to the actual motor or not, this i will figure out later.

If anyone has any ideas or comments feel free to share.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:52 AM

I was thinking of doing this as well. I have access to Carbon Fiber and the appropriate materials if you want to share the idea. PM me and maybe we can work something out.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:07 AM

I currently work at a sheet metal fabrication shop in the engineering department. I am just going to design the part using inventor and autocad and have it made out of aluminum or steel right here at work for free. Thank you for the offer though!
Old 03-21-2011, 05:07 PM

So after i was able to work up enough energy to get my lazy butt off the couch after stuffing myself with Moms homemade tacos i headed into the garage.

I had already made a cardboard model not to long ago, so i based this cut out off of that one.

It took a few hair pulls and curse words to figure out how i wanted to mount it, as you can see it still needs a little improvement. I was able to get it close enough to start a model which will help me record and change all of my fitment dimensions or design. I am still trying to figure out what kind of design i want on the top, this is where your opinions would help. Right now as you can see its flush with my strut bar which doesnt look to bad. Here is a picture of the model.

Thanks for reading!
Old 03-21-2011, 06:30 PM

looks good, but i hope you have more supports than just that one bent piece of metal (hope thats welded also?)
Old 03-21-2011, 06:39 PM

It will be welded after bending it up yes. Its only going to be 16 gauge steel so the two mounting points even though they are close together and not in the center of the part i am pretty confident it will be stable. It is a rather small part. Looking at the PWJDM and Moddiction there is only 2-3 mounting screws. Does anyone have any idea how much the motor "shacks" while driving? Sense i am not mounting it directly to the motor like all the other shields similar to this i want to make sure i leave enough clearence for engine movement. Or maybe i will just make a bracket like they have and mount it directly?

Any information you can give will be helpful, thanks!
Old 03-21-2011, 09:21 PM

I guess what I have not understood in the design of these is why are there cut outs for the pullies? It's not like you need to take those off all the time. Am I missing something
Old 03-22-2011, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by racer_X_123
I guess what I have not understood in the design of these is why are there cut outs for the pullies? It's not like you need to take those off all the time. Am I missing something
You are right, maintenance on these is not often. I just assumed it was for clearance, as the shields are some what close to them. Personally i kind of like the rounded cut outs exposing them. Would you want to see a design of them covered? How far over would you want to go?
Old 03-22-2011, 04:35 AM

I would think that the more the engine is blocked from the intake area the better, but now thinking about it that area is not so critical because of the flow of air. Basically the heat coming off the engine is directly blocked by the sheild. If it extends further it's almost pointless.

So I guess it makes sense from a material savings point if view.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:29 AM

Yea i think the header is the area of focus in this situation, which is why i have extended the shield all the way across to the passenger side and also down a good ways. I will be printing a flat pattern using my model and do another test fit. Then tweak the model where needed. I am still unsure of how i should mount this thing. It would look a lot cleaner if i had a bracket and attached it to the engine. Yea there would be two pieces i would have to design, but i wouldn't have to get anything welded. Using the same mounting location as PWJDM would be pretty simple.

Quick Reply: Custom Engine Heat Shield